Just a pocket knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tristan_david2001

Re: Just a pocket knife

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:15 am
I think people are missing the Clip-It’s objective.

Attaching your knife to the rim of your pocket frees up the bottom for all the other EDC stuff a clipless Spydie would obstruct.

The EDC Forum, if not entire industries, has Sal to thank.
I agree. But I also think it depends on the size of folding pocket knife too, I think folders 3” blades and above need clips. Yes pocket are big enough to bottom of the pocket carry a knife this size amongst other things, but it is more annoying to have to shuffle things around when you reach into your pocket to grab the item you intended to. It’s also just a more reliable spot to retrieve the knife. It’s less distance your hand has to move and it’s just much easier to pull out when a portion of the knife is exposed at the top, especially could be important in the scenario of possible self defense where seconds count when you didn’t intend them to.
knives in the dragonfly and ladybug size I get being practical to bottom of the pocket carry in the small 5th pocket of many pants.
Everyone balances the pros and cons of everything differently there’s obviously no objective way here.
:bug-red-white
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:01 am
I have gone back to my younger days. I simply want a good pocket knife. Spyderco gave that to me with this slim, trim slip joint. It is nothing fancy and does everything I need a knife to do. I took the pocket clip off long ago and I simply put this in my pocket, where a pocket knife is supposed to be.

I have an orange one that takes a ride with me, too. I usually alternate, but if I am out someplace where I would not want anyone to notice the knife, the black one is the choice. Like I said, there's nothing fancy. No thumb holes, no thumb ramps (well, there is a micro sized one), no locks, nothing but a good pointy blade with some slicing belly.
I wish the design of the Spy-DK had been a bit more popular. It's one of my favorite Spyderco designs. Part of that is because one was a gift from my wife on our wedding day, and part is because it is so slim compared to most other Spyderco's with a similar sized blade. It's such a useful blade shape paired with a great handle.

I think I might have to give clipless carry a try with it.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Last week I suffered an injury to my thumb that made it painful to use for a whole week.

At that time my backup folder was a Buck 55. Realizing it would be very unpleasant to open it with the nail nick, I swapped the Buck out for a Manbug.

I enjoy traditionals and Opinels, but my injury reminded me that situations will undoubtedly arise when one-handed opening is more desirable.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

StuntZombie wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:42 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
I have gone back to my younger days. I simply want a good pocket knife. Spyderco gave that to me with this slim, trim slip joint. It is nothing fancy and does everything I need a knife to do. I took the pocket clip off long ago and I simply put this in my pocket, where a pocket knife is supposed to be.

I have an orange one that takes a ride with me, too. I usually alternate, but if I am out someplace where I would not want anyone to notice the knife, the black one is the choice. Like I said, there's nothing fancy. No thumb holes, no thumb ramps (well, there is a micro sized one), no locks, nothing but a good pointy blade with some slicing belly.
I wish the design of the Spy-DK had been a bit more popular. It's one of my favorite Spyderco designs. Part of that is because one was a gift from my wife on our wedding day, and part is because it is so slim compared to most other Spyderco's with a similar sized blade. It's such a useful blade shape paired with a great handle.

I think I might have to give clipless carry a try with it.
I agree. I wish people would have seen the beauty and genius of this knife. It is a fantastic take on a traditional slipjoint and takes it up several notches. It is very trim and easy to carry. Plus, it is a great knife for small game, or when pumpkin carving time comes around.

Yes, do try it without the clip. It isn't for everyone, but I prefer it. A larger knife I would clip, no doubt, but smaller ones I don't. Plus, if I carry a larger one, I will have a smaller one also and I don't want to have knife clips sticking out everywhere.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

ImHereForTheMilitary2 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:58 am
I get the feeling here but I don't understand the shot against pocket clips and one handed opening. What you do with your knife is your business, but why remove the clip? Its better to have it and not need it, right? You can keep the clip on the knife and not use it. Same goes for the spyder hole. You never know when you need to open a knife with one hand. And again, better to have it and not need it.

Like I said, I get the sentiment. I too yearn for the old days. But I just don't understand why you're calling out packet clips and thumb holes 🤷‍♂️
There's no right or wrong, everyone adapts to their own circumstance.
It took quite some time for me to figure out that carrying clipless could be beneficial in some situations. It also kept me from trying the smaller man-/ladybug models. That was until I specifically needed the other features provided by the Manbug salt. And that little knife changed my knife carry habits forever.
Fast forward through a period of small adjustments I ended up with my main carry for 95% of my workdays being a clipless DF2 riding in the bottom of my RBP.
This pocket was previously unused pocket real-estate, so it solved the pocket organizing issue for me.
The DF2 is slim enough that I don't feel it when I sit down, but that changes when the clip is attached, so off it goes.
Being the only item in my RBP, it's easily accessible with my right hand whenever I need it. And it goes back just as easily. No fiddling around with clips that wont slide over the pocket seem.
Also it's a stealthy way of carry. Knives aren't totally accepted around here, neither legally or socially, so with no part of my knife sticking out of my pocket I have one less thing to worry about.
Same with scratching and catching. I often carry clipped knives in non-work settings, and I've scratched my share of car doors and leather seats to also appreciate this added benefit of clipless carry.

Clipless isn't all roses, hence why I choose clipped carry for outdoors and rough work. In some acrobatic positions and maneuvers I've had clipless knives slide out of my pocket. Smoothly surfaced knives like the Pakkawood DF2 is a no-go for clipless back pocket carry, while the bi-directional FRN texture mitigates this to the point where it's almost not an issue. Still something to keep in mind and be aware of.

While not for me, I can also see the attraction of the one handed knives. It allows for cleaner designs and there is no doubt a sentimental side to these more classic/traditional patterns of knives. I think it's somewhat analogous to mechanical hand winding watches - there's no reason to choose one considering the benefits of every other alternative available, yet the ritual and deliberate habit of winding your watch every morning, and be reminded of the intricacy and mechanical wonder that exists inside this little machine on your wrist, is something quite satisfying.

I can live with hand winding watches, but two handed knives is too much of a sacrifice in practicality for me. Just the other day I was working outside in the rain and pulled out my swisstool spirit to cut something, and my nails were so soft from being soaked in water for hours, I just could not get any of the implements to open. Luckily I was right outside my house, so alternative tools were just steps away. This actually gave me some pause though. While I used to always carry Leathermans in the backcountry, I've to a large extent switched to SAKs for my tool needs to save weight on my outdoor adventures. It hasn't been an issue yet, but now I know that it can be.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

standy99 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:24 am
Naperville wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:17 am
standy99 wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:31 am
The amount of times an old Delica gets picked over so many better flashy spyderco knives. It’s like a don’t want to think knife as I’m heading out the door. (Usually keep 5-6 knives in a bowl near the door)
[+1]

That is what I want to do too. A bowl or drawer full of Spyderco Native Chiefs in all different kinds of steels, all freshly sharpened and ready to go.
My bowl near the door. :winking-tongue
How do you even get out the door?
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

I have to say, that if I found SpyDK somewhere in Europe, I would grab it immediately. It is exactly what you point out it is - simple knife, no frills, great design and it just simply does what it is supposed to do. I do carry my Spydercos regularly but sometimes more simple knife like Spyderco Urban, Douk Douk or Opinel see more action due to being simple tools with outstanding cutting performance.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Way back in the past, pocketknife salesmen used to carry a knife pick. They would often have to display their wares to potential customers by opening and closing blades, a lot, throughout any given day. Which could eventually cause sore or even broken thumbnails. Especially on knives with actions so tight they were "nail-breakers." The knife pick allowed them to do that.

One big advantage of spyderco knives, regardless of whether you choose to open them one-handed or two-handed, is that you never have to worry about nail-breakers.

https://youtu.be/5bm66N-vxso?si=McHmwgAHgYy6c2ol

Jim
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

Doc Dan, is that a UKPK?

Are the opening holes (and one-handed opening) not allowed where you live? I have a UKPK too, but it has the big opening hole and a thumb ramp. It doesn't get in the way and makes it very easy to open, even if I don't use it one-handed. (for example, wearing thick winter gloves, I can still pinch that big opening hole...)

I guess the one that that surprises me is that with this traditional viewpoint, you chose a plastic Spyderco instead of something like an old-fashioned Case, Buck or Boker slipjoint.
-Jeremy
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Smaug wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:26 am
Doc Dan, is that a UKPK?

Are the opening holes (and one-handed opening) not allowed where you live? I have a UKPK too, but it has the big opening hole and a thumb ramp. It doesn't get in the way and makes it very easy to open, even if I don't use it one-handed. (for example, wearing thick winter gloves, I can still pinch that big opening hole...)

I guess the one that that surprises me is that with this traditional viewpoint, you chose a plastic Spyderco instead of something like an old-fashioned Case, Buck or Boker slipjoint.
No, it is an SPY-DK, made for the Danish market. I do have two UKPKs and planning a third.

I am not so traditional that I would jettison a good knife to get a Case or Boker, etc. I like Spyderco's take on such knives.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
40mm

Post by 40mm »

I am still a one knife guy, (well two if you count the Vic classic on my keyring) and carry a salt Dragonfly serrated daily. Pocket clip stays on cause it’s in my waistband to save pocket space, but man that knife feels sooooo good in hand sans clip! Sometimes I think a slip joint dragonfly would be fun, but then I handle this one and remember that it’s pretty much perfect as is.
IMG_3002.jpeg
IMG_3003.jpeg
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Been carrying my SPY27 UKPC for a few days. Very much reminds me of the Spyderco version of a sodbuster. Could easily make this my "one", well until the Magnacut version comes out.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

40mm wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:02 pm
I am still a one knife guy, (well two if you count the Vic classic on my keyring) and carry a salt Dragonfly serrated daily. Pocket clip stays on cause it’s in my waistband to save pocket space, but man that knife feels sooooo good in hand sans clip! Sometimes I think a slip joint dragonfly would be fun, but then I handle this one and remember that it’s pretty much perfect as is.
IMG_3002.jpegIMG_3003.jpeg
I have a bunch of Dragonflies. My wife has three. Wonderful pocket knives. I carry one often, though I am on a slip joint kick at the moment, otherwise, the DF is king.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

No doubt, they are very versatile and very capable. I always carry mine when I wear dress pants, and other times as well.
Holland

Post by Holland »

40mm wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:02 pm
IMG_3002.jpegIMG_3003.jpeg
I’m with you on this, I carry my DFly2 salt SE 95% of the time and have a Leatherman squirt on the keychain
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
alphaneuron9

Post by alphaneuron9 »

Doc Dan wrote:

I love it. Looks like my ukpk. Remember the model name?
BTW, what's your specialty?
Alex
Scientia et pax
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

alphaneuron9 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:28 am
Doc Dan wrote:

It is the SPY-DK and no longer made, but they pop up on eBay.

My area is ancient literature.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
alphaneuron9

Post by alphaneuron9 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:21 am
alphaneuron9 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:28 am
Doc Dan wrote:

It is the SPY-DK and no longer made, but they pop up on eBay.

My area is ancient literature.
Wow. so cool. That could be its own forum. Any mention of folding knives in your readings? (Way to segway back to knives, huh guys?) So that begs the question, when were folding knives invented... Im off to do a websearch now.
Thx, Doc Dan
Alex
Scientia et pax
alphaneuron9

Post by alphaneuron9 »

"The earliest known pocketknives date to at least the early Iron Age. A pocketknife with a bone handle was found at the Hallstatt Culture type site in Austria, dating to around 600–500 BCE" according to wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocketknife
Alex
Scientia et pax
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Is the Urban the closest slip-joint to the Dragonfly?