Manix Modifications. What have you done? What do you want to do?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jmj3esq

Re: Manix Modifications. What have you done? What do you want to do?

Post by jmj3esq »

2 months ago I order this Manix 2 titanium backspacer on Etsy.com. It finally came in the mail today. He warns you that it will take this long to “manufacture”, but I know he’s simply ordering the direct from China. In any event, I had little hope receiving it, let alone, of it fitting correctly as it’s Chinese. Well after trying to figure out how to put the thing on for 1/2 an hour, I did figure it out and I placed it in a new Manix 2 with some sweet orange grooved G10 scales and a Flytanium titanium cage. The backspacer fits perfectly and does not shift at all. I really can’t believe it. It looks totally awesome and is completely functional. If you can wait 2-3 months to get this simple part, I would recommend it. I can’t believe I’m saying that.

gooeytek

Post by gooeytek »

ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i've wanted a ti/satin manix for a while and you guys are all making me want one even more. it's gonna have to wait though, since i just bought a dlc manix and have at least four knives in line (plus mods) in front of it. five if the magnacut manix comes out before i get to it.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vivi

Post by vivi »

If Spyderco releases a Magnacut Manix you'll see me give the mini version another shot. Very excited to see any iteration of the Manix turned into a Salt.
:unicorn
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

I'm sure Spyderco tested different bearings in the Manix. I'd love to hear what led them to choose the stainless steel ball bearing. Under enough pressure, will a steel ball bearing deform while a ceramic bearing fracture? Has anyone ever actually broken a bearing, in everyday use or testing?

Alumina Oxide (Al2O3) – The most widely used ceramic

Graphs:
https://www.ortechceramics.com/creamic- ... -ceramics/#
- Richard
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

There's absolutely no mods needed for a regular production Manix 2, nothing. All the supposed "upgrade" cages and balls and springs, are complete nonsense, and only exist to generate profits by the aftermarket sector. I've hardly ever seen a stock cage or ball fail on a properly used Manix 2, it just doesn't happen.

Enthusiasts will still always looks for some reason to piss away more hard earned money on "upgrades" however, because they falsely assume the manufacturer doesn't know best. It has always been that way, and will always be that way.

Maybe if you use your knives as toys, then it needs "upgrades" to make it more fidgetable or whatever floats your boat. But as tools, these knives need absolutely nothing.
Subverto

Post by Subverto »

AWT scales drop the weight of the Manix 2 down to 3.3oz and provide much better ergonomics for my hands than the chunky factory scales/liners. I consider them a must have, otherwise I wouldn't own a Manix 2.

I agree that everything else is pretty much a gimmick to get people to overpay for Chinese made trinkets. I'm clearly in the minority, but I don't want Chinese made parts on my American made knives.
vivi

Post by vivi »

salimoneus wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:51 pm
There's absolutely no mods needed for a regular production Manix 2, nothing. All the supposed "upgrade" cages and balls and springs, are complete nonsense, and only exist to generate profits by the aftermarket sector. I've hardly ever seen a stock cage or ball fail on a properly used Manix 2, it just doesn't happen.

Enthusiasts will still always looks for some reason to piss away more hard earned money on "upgrades" however, because they falsely assume the manufacturer doesn't know best. It has always been that way, and will always be that way.

Maybe if you use your knives as toys, then it needs "upgrades" to make it more fidgetable or whatever floats your boat. But as tools, these knives need absolutely nothing.
I'm of the mindset anyone reading this post should buy a set of Captains of Crush before they buy a weaker spring.

Those plastic cages plain work, too. Never had one fail, never had my thumb slip off one.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

salimoneus wrote:

if you read the thread, most of us that have modded our manixes agree that the knife is perfectly serviceable without mods. it's fun to customize a knife and many of the mods have improved performance for most of us. we didn't come here to say the manix is a bad knife. we came here to say we like it enough to personalize it. whether that be for increased performance, fun, or just because we like to throw money away, is really none of your business, although you are just as entitled to your silly opinion as you are to sharing it online in a thread dedicated specifically to what you strangely feel the need to so adamantly condemn.

as to your specific assertions...
"complete nonsense" - you might feel that way, but clearly not everyone does. just because the plastic doesn't break since switching away from whatever formula spyderco used in the clear cages, doesn't mean that metal cages are nonsense. they are stronger than plastic and they do give better grip on the lock. i've got two of each. i know what i'm talking about. out of curiosity, have you actually tried one?

"falsely assume the manufacturer doesn't know best" - i understand where you are coming from because i think i've made this argument before about some mods or critiques of designs. but, as i already stated, maybe some of these mods are just for us to enjoy modding and not because we think the manix is poorly designed. if metal cages didn't exist, the manix would still be my favorite pocket knife ever made. i still enjoy my stock m2lw exclusive (my first manix and how i came to realize it was such a great knife design) and the only thing i'd call a "flaw" in that design is the inability to take it apart for cleaning, but spyderco has since changed the lw to have screws, so that critique is gone. anyway, wanting to upgrade them doesn't necessarily have anything to do with thinking the design is flawed.

"use your knives as toys" - here's the thing... if someone is fidgeting with their knife, they are usually handling it, right? opening and closing? is that not something you do when you use your knife? so making it easier to open and close might not be a bad thing for people that use their tools heavily. maybe someone loves the manix, but has arthritis or smaller hands. a weaker spring could make the tool more accessible to them. maybe they prefer the feel or texture of a specific material, so they change the scales and make it a more comfortable tool.

of course, it's possible that you're right and that none of us have actually improved our knives (despite many testimonies to the contrary) and we just are happy to pay for "nonsense." why do you care? at worst, we've pumped money into the economy and made some cool looking manixes that definitely make more people want to try the knife for themselves. at best, we've made some of our favorite tools better for us. and even if that was only aesthetically speaking (it's not), there's nothing wrong with that.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I have a G10:S30V tucked away to do a scale mod and may change the cage , and clip . I do have a mod XL from KP but that’s a different story . I have never had a problem with any Manix , love them just want to personalize one if I can ever decide scale material and if I want to linerless . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
gooeytek

Post by gooeytek »

salimoneus wrote:

It's not about modding to mitigate failure. I like to make my knives different from what everyone else has, and improve my experience when I use it. My Manix2 with the Ti cage, upgraded spring, linerless Ti, SiN bearing is without doubt a night and day difference compared to an unmodded one.

Watches, guns, cars and trucks, I can't leave well enough alone. Nothing stays "stock", and there is always room for improvement.

I modded my house with a new roof, paint, windows, landscaping, brick/stonework. There was nothing wrong with the original stuff, I just wanted new stuff and updated the look. The windows are more efficient, the doors are more secure, the roof matches the overall theme, and the stonework sets it apart from the other houses in the neighborhood. I could go on and on.

It's my money, and I'll piss it away if I want :grin-big eyes

To falsely assume the manufacturer doesn't know best? Well, it might be a matter of preference, but I absolutely detest pinned construction. I've destroyed those on purpose just to transplant the blade on to a better frame.
Vamais

Post by Vamais »

-AHAB
Vamais

Post by Vamais »

I have not done this, but here's a sketch of an "in between size Manix" with a 3.5" blade:
E7BC3AA0-14E6-4F06-8DC9-F91A72E48F04.jpeg
577972BC-E9BE-4A9E-A50F-88D9EE9DF0C4.jpeg
CAB28057-D97C-47FB-9B75-C1341D746BCA.jpeg
-AHAB
cjk

Post by cjk »

I put a back lock on mine. :winking-tongue

ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

cjk wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:08 pm

i regret not buying this one. i thought it was way too thick (and still do), but it would've made a fantastic folder for the outdoors. my 4max does the trick if i want a beefy folder, but as much as i like it, it's no manix.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

cjk wrote:
You are a wild man.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

cjk wrote:

I knew this was coming ! :winking-tongue Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

gooeytek wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:15 am
It's not about modding to mitigate failure. I like to make my knives different from what everyone else has, and improve my experience when I use it. My Manix2 with the Ti cage, upgraded spring, linerless Ti, SiN bearing is without doubt a night and day difference compared to an unmodded one.

Watches, guns, cars and trucks, I can't leave well enough alone. Nothing stays "stock", and there is always room for improvement.

I modded my house with a new roof, paint, windows, landscaping, brick/stonework. There was nothing wrong with the original stuff, I just wanted new stuff and updated the look. The windows are more efficient, the doors are more secure, the roof matches the overall theme, and the stonework sets it apart from the other houses in the neighborhood. I could go on and on.

It's my money, and I'll piss it away if I want :grin-big eyes

To falsely assume the manufacturer doesn't know best? Well, it might be a matter of preference, but I absolutely detest pinned construction. I've destroyed those on purpose just to transplant the blade on to a better frame.

I get it, some people view their tools more as fashion accessories, show pieces, fidget toys, and what have you, rather than just functional, durable, and reliable tools. That's fine and dandy, like you said, people like putting bling bling on practically everything imaginable.

I'm just not one of those people, and would rather put the hard earned cash in other tangible investments or worthwhile consumables. None of the mods done to these knives really increases value or improves function or reliability all that much, so it's literally wasted money as I see it. But hey if it brings you joy, for however short a duration, until you get tired of it and start the cycle all over again with the next new greatest thing, by all means go for it ;)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

salimoneus wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:05 pm
None of the mods done to these knives really increases value or improves function or reliability all that much, so it's literally wasted money as I see it. But hey if it brings you joy, for however short a duration, until you get tired of it and start the cycle all over again with the next new greatest thing, by all means go for it ;)

While I might not express myself as vividly as salimoneus does, I tend to agree with the sentiment. With a refined knife design like a Manix, the question I'm always asking myself is: modify the knife I've got, or spend twice as much as the mod, to get a whole new knife? I usually go for the new knife. I don't feel the need to make a Manix uniquely mine, I'm happy carrying one that looks like a thousand others. Though those AWT scales are tempting. And I do like to watch the mods in this thread.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
vivi

Post by vivi »

Yeah.....I can get a Cold Steel SRK shipped to my door in two days for less than what people are spending on a Flytanium bearing cage replacement (before shipping to boot).

Just...no. Not for me.

Nice thing about my mods is except for the one set of aftermarket scales, they were essentially free.

viewtopic.php?p=1682521#p1682521

Got the acid to etch with free off craigslist (Hey anyone know where I can get some good acid? :rofl ), contouring scales takes about 5¢ on sandpaper and a sink, already owned a belt sander for the jimping removal and straight spine mod, already own stones for reprofiling edges, and rit dye is something like $4 a bottle and comes with enough dye for 20 sets of scales, at least.

viewtopic.php?p=1682521#p1682521

Those mods, to me, are a little more unique than slapping a Ti bearing cage or getting cute colored hardware. Not that I necessarily think anyone doing those things is trying to be unique, they probably just like how it looks.

I follow this and other mod threads but the majority of mods I'd pass on. Aftermarket cages and springs and hardware that don't make the knife function any better, chopping an already kinda small knife down smaller, sharpening choil additions, deep carry clips that make it take more effort to retrieve my tool, bulky & heavy back spacers that add even more jimping to the jimpiest knife I've ever owned......

I don't know of anyone with a 4V Manix XL with two tone dyed scales from the M4 run, much less anyone with anything close to my straight spine acid etched Manix. It's fun having "one of a kind" versions of these mass produced knives.