Waterway

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Chrometracker

Waterway

Post by Chrometracker »

An anyone tell me if there will be another run of the waterway? Everyone is sold out. Thanks
TazKristi

Re: Waterway

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, Chrometracker:
Welcome to our forum. The Waterway is still a standard production item, it's just unfortunately, in backorder at this time. I don't have an ETA, but there will be more to come.

We hope you enjoy your time with us.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Chrometracker wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:54 pm
An anyone tell me if there will be another run of the waterway? Everyone is sold out. Thanks

Welcome to the forum! :)

Just let me say: The Waterway is worth the wait! ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Not everyone is sold out.

Warriors and Wonders shows Waterway in stock. Canadian shop, in Vancouver, I got mine there. I have had good experiences with them. Just bought a strop and compound there last week.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Chrometracker

Post by Chrometracker »

Thanks glad to hear this!
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

So it's discontinued. Is it dead or are we going to see a reinstallation in Magnacut? What you guys think?
notorious fidgeteer
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

eventhorizon wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:11 am
So it's discontinued. Is it dead or are we going to see a reinstallation in Magnacut? What you guys think?
I’ve heard about a prototype for a smaller version being displayed at trade shows in the past. If that knife comes to fruition, i’d bet the house on it being Magnacut.
-Nick :bug-red
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

eventhorizon wrote:
Yes discontinued but there has been recent restocks at various dealers . It could go either way disco or a new version . I would love to see the Waterway and Siren in Magnacut. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Soulrack

Post by Soulrack »

I got one in the factory seconds sale and while I like it I'd prefer a 5 3/4" blade with it's 5" handle vs the 4 1/4" blade it has. A mini version in magnacut with a 3" handle and 3-4" blade would be intriguing.
A.S.

Post by A.S. »

At Bladeshow in Atlanta this year, there was a Waterway in the prototype cabinet. It was the same LC200N production model Spyderco has offered in the past. I asked the guy running the booth at the time what changes were coming for the model and they didn’t know.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Really like the ergos of the Waterway. It didn't seem like an unpopular knife, so I think there will be a magnacut version eventually.

Wouldn't mind a serrated H2 version either.

Hope they do some exclusives in various steels.

DLC M4 with jade G10 handle.
DLC 4V with red G10 handle.
DLC Cruwear with purple G10 handle.

What's not to like ?
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

I'd be more than suprised if Spyderco were to release a rust prone version of the Waterway... it kind of would contradict what Lance designed the knife to be.

So, given the corrosion resistance charts in circulation currently, an Magnacut version might be feasible if they chose to keep the design as a platform but I'd still say it's not highly likely, because from what I read, Magnacut will still rust in extreme conditions and the very purpose of the Waterway was to not rust in any condition. I don't really see an H2 version of it either, that would be too much of a setback from LC200N performance wise.

I think it is getting discontinued now either due to subpar demand or due to scarcity of LC200N... and only if it's the latter it might live on, if it's the former the Waterway might as well be dead, I'm afraid.
notorious fidgeteer
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:09 am
eventhorizon wrote:
Yes discontinued but there has been recent restocks at various dealers . It could go either way disco or a new version . I would love to see the Waterway and Siren in Magnacut. MG2
Me too Dan 😉
vivi

Post by vivi »

shunsui wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:57 pm
Really like the ergos of the Waterway. It didn't seem like an unpopular knife, so I think there will be a magnacut version eventually.

Wouldn't mind a serrated H2 version either.

Hope they do some exclusives in various steels.

DLC M4 with jade G10 handle.
DLC 4V with red G10 handle.
DLC Cruwear with purple G10 handle.

What's not to like ?
The scales. I got rid of mine for that reason alone.

Slap some regular G10 or micarta scales on it and I'm back on board.

The grip of the stock scales is cool when processing fish, but a bit much for everything else I'd use it for like bushcrafty things and camp food prep.
:unicorn
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:29 am
shunsui wrote:

What's not to like ?

The grip of the stock scales is cool when processing fish, but a bit much for everything else I'd use it for like bushcrafty things and camp food prep.
I bought a seconds sale Waterway and I was surprised by how much grip the G10 scales had compared to the one I use in my kitchen. I actually like that because I'm old and not usually working long with the knife.

You could always just sand down the handle with some sand paper or that cheap Harbor Freight belt sander, but I've found that coarse G10 actually wears down remarkably fast. My Siren's handle isn't anywhere as grippy as when I first got it.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:29 am
shunsui wrote:

What's not to like ?

How does it compare to the Aqua Salt’s FRN texture?
I have seen people express that the FRN texture on some of the fixed blades is too rough for them, but it’s mostly fine for me on my Aqua Salt and Enuff 2.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
vivi

Post by vivi »

Much rougher than the Aqua Salt.

I considered sanding it but the handle is already as thin as I'd really want to go...little thinner than I'd prefer to be honest.

In the end despite it having a nice blade shape and FFG, I decided to stick with my trust aqua salts.
:unicorn