High Performance Delica Excitement

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
awa54

Re: High Performance Delica Excitement

Post by awa54 »

JSumm wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:39 pm

I gotcha. Yeah I'm wondering if they are making the current FFG Delica with a thinner blade stock or just adding a Hollow Grind to the FFG Delica. Either would be fine by mean. I think the current thin stock FFG is already pretty thin, and a Hollow Grind added to that would be something similar to the Centofante blade I believe.

Really the Salt 2 in H2 with Hollow Grind is already available (similar to the saber grind with a shallow HG), but I definitely wouldn't call it high performance from a grind standpoint. But even if they leave the Delica FFG the way it is and add a Hollow Grind to that, I would still be very interested.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say (and have) that the UKPK, Caly 3 or any other leaf, or more conventional drop point shaped blade would have been a better starting point for making a true HHG testbed, but the Delica is a more widely carried and admired platform, so it's almost certainly a better "Mule-ish" knife for the exercise.

The PE Dragonfly Salt already sports a pretty darned high hollow grind, but H1/H2 isn't really the steel to take best advantage of that ...would have been very simple to just make that blade in VG-10, but again; Delica probably has a much bigger user base and has a longer edge for optimal sliciness.

As far as the Centofante goes, I'm not certain if the grind line goes higher than the Delica Saber grind, but the blade stock *is* thinner, so the net result is less binding in the cut. It also has an ideal blade shape for allowing a simple hollow grind to extend all the way to the tip. I'm a fan and thankful that it remains in the line!

If this project bears fruit, then my wish for a second stage experiment would be to apply as high a hollow grind to the Manix as is practical and to make it in something like MagnaCut, AEBL, or 4V. :star-struck
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

awa54 wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:09 pm
If this project bears fruit, then my wish for a second stage experiment would be to apply as high a hollow grind to the Manix as is practical and to make it in something like MagnaCut, AEBL, or 4V. :star-struck
a manix ground like a gb2 would be really sweet.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Mr_Whiskerz

Post by Mr_Whiskerz »

Do we actually know if this will ever make it to production?
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Sal said he was carrying a prototype at one point. That was a while ago. Guess it depends on production capacity.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Patience is a virtue.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Concerning the grind of the hp Delica:

No time to browse the whole thread right now, but I believe it was said to have a high hollow grind - so the hollow portion goes up higher on the blade before the "sabre portion" starts than let's say on a Salt 2.

Anyway: After a recent purch I am down to "just" 14 Spydercos (folders, plus one Waterway fixed blade Spydie) and want to try to pretty much stick to that number at least for a good while.
This hp Delica though as I imagine it to be definitely will have to be added to the quiver.
Could be the best small EDC folder ever for me!!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:54 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:09 pm
I did all I could to support the Wharncliffe Delica. I think I've got a 4:1 ratio of Wharncliffe to Leaf shape delicas. A design still ahead of it's time I guess.
Same here. I have about 8 user delica/salt wharnies on top of the manbug, dfly, and endela wharnies. plus now a handful of backups of the LNC200N Salt Wharnies and K390 Delica Wharnies. A Delica Wharnie has been in my pocket a good 95% of days in the past two years now. Sad to see it.
Seriously. The Delica Wharncliffe, when you use it, is quite the tool, to say the least. I know sales dictate production, but if these Wharncliffes are gone forever, it is a real shame.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

It really is. 🙄🙁
elena86

Post by elena86 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:54 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:09 pm
I did all I could to support the Wharncliffe Delica. I think I've got a 4:1 ratio of Wharncliffe to Leaf shape delicas. A design still ahead of it's time I guess.
Same here. I have about 8 user delica/salt wharnies on top of the manbug, dfly, and endela wharnies. plus now a handful of backups of the LNC200N Salt Wharnies and K390 Delica Wharnies. A Delica Wharnie has been in my pocket a good 95% of days in the past two years now. Sad to see it.
My most carried is a VG10 wharnie Delica in spyderedge. It performs like a champ. It does everything I need and more. I am surprised they are discontinued but I guess the average user just doesn’t “understand” this blade shape, serrations included. I bought three of them so I am covered. It’s time for a plain edge wharnie Delica in K390. I have the feeling that in a few years, the wharnie Delicas will be very sought after. It happened the same with the wharnie Centofante. It was discoed and now people are begging for a come back.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
awa54

Post by awa54 »

The Kiwi series had only a short mourning period on the forum :'(

While I love the form factor of my Kiwi 4, the HT on Moki's VG-10 doesn't support the low bevel angle that blade is begging to have applied.
-David

weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

I think the problem with the wharncliffe blade shape is that it is really only maximized for utility, or self defense purposes. It lacks the versatility that many users value in a true EDC pocket knife. Many folks use their pocket knives for food prep/processing and "outdoor" purposes and appreciate the multifunctionality of a more bellied blade shape. The wharncliffe blade shape is much more an AFI oriented blade shape, than a blade shape that gels with the broad market at large. The average person would rather drop ~$20 on a utility knife/box cutter, some spare blades, and call it a tool. I think the shape is geared better toward smaller knives (like the Delica and smaller).

The wharncliffe format is still available for those who want to pick up as many back-ups as they want. I'm much more looking forward to this non-wharncliffe high performance Delica.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

weeping minora wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:56 pm

I think the shape is geared better toward smaller knives (like the Delica and smaller).

I agree. When I feel like carrying something bigger than a Delica, I go with my leaf Endelas or Enduras. I have some Wharnie Endelas, but I like the leaf better in that size. And despite the Delica Wharnie being my all time favorite model, I still never felt the want/need to purchase an Endura Wharnie. It just seemed out of place on a knife that size.

When I carry my Delicas, it is almost always the Wharnies I grab. The Dfly Wharnie and Manbug Wharnies are both great as well, especially the Manbug. It is on all of my keychains.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'm still hoping for a k390 Police Wharncliffe :smiling-heart-eyes
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:54 pm
based on what we're seeing with the disco list, that could probably contend for the worst-selling spyderco of all time. i do agree it would be really sweet though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
awa54

Post by awa54 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:

SE or PE?

weeping minora wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:56 pm
I think the problem with the wharncliffe blade shape is that it is really only maximized for utility, or self defense purposes. It lacks the versatility that many users value in a true EDC pocket knife. Many folks use their pocket knives for food prep/processing and "outdoor" purposes and appreciate the multifunctionality of a more bellied blade shape. The wharncliffe blade shape is much more an AFI oriented blade shape, than a blade shape that gels with the broad market at large. The average person would rather drop ~$20 on a utility knife/box cutter, some spare blades, and call it a tool. I think the shape is geared better toward smaller knives (like the Delica and smaller).

The wharncliffe format is still available for those who want to pick up as many back-ups as they want. I'm much more looking forward to this non-wharncliffe high performance Delica.

While the Vikings definitely agreed with you on the subject of self defense, I think they'd be unimpressed by a Delica sized Seax/Sax/Scramsax :grin-squint
-David

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:02 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
based on what we're seeing with the disco list, that could probably contend for the worst-selling spyderco of all time. i do agree it would be really sweet though.
You're not wrong, but the heart wants what the heart wants.

Awa54 PE. But why not both?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
awa54

Post by awa54 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:48 pm
But why not both?

:rofl
-David

awa54

Post by awa54 »

Well the Reveal is out and.........
-David

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

awa54 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:13 pm
David, I thought someone had kidnapped you! You're back! :grin-smiling-eyes
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

awa54 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:13 pm
Yeah, it’s such a huge disappointment for me … I was quite sure they are going to reveal the hp Delica this time. Bummer…
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red