Griptilian

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kerrcobra

Re: Griptilian

Post by kerrcobra »

I have the sheepsfoot mini grip with the hollow sabre grind in S30V. I would've preferred one in 154CM, but it wasn't high enough on my list to purchase it over something else like any one of my many Spydercos. I like the feel in hand and like how it cuts once I thinned the edge out a tad bit, and I don't think it's too thick or too wide, but I still wouldn't carry it over a Delica nor even a Para 3. I carry a Delica in my waistband with my Prometheus Beta QRv2 CU w/the titanium clip all the time, and aside from the Delica outcutting the mini grip in every way, I wouldn't carry it IWB over anything else because there's hardly any closing bias.

Now...the Mini Presidio II...that's my jam. I think that's one of the best looking knives there is. I have a couple of them in S30V reprofiled real low, and I've done everything I can to try to mess up the edge, and it held up like a boss. I also grabbed a couple of the Shot Show exclusive in M4 and that burnt bronze anodized aluminum. Absolutely the best looking knife of all time IMHO and hands down tied in second place with my Rex45 Military for favorite folder ever. Delica in SB or Vtoku2 (obviously) are tied with the Mantra 1 for 1st place which probably means the Mini Presidio II and Millie are more like 3 & 4, but I'm going to always refer to them as my second favorite. Honorable mentions are Rex45 Para 3 and Delicas in K390, HAP40, & M4.

To get back on topic, I carry the mini presidio II over the mini grip 10 times out of 10. Full size Presidio II and Griptilian aren't really my jam, but I do have one of the M4 auto Presidio II's with the combo edge. Don't carry it over others, but I do think it looks good!
--Jeremy
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

My experience aligns with the general consensus here.
Bulky in pocket, weak detent, obtuse grind and while the mini is actually a good size for my hand, there's something about the shape I don't enjoy. Doesn't feel as locked in as I prefer.
As far as the omega springs go, I'm sure there is a possible weakness there, but between all my BM's I've never had one break, so I'll not hold that against the axis lock until I experience it myself.

I've considered AWT scales to see if that mitigates some of the handle issues, but not overly motivated to pour more money into a knife I probably won't use much anyways.

G-10, 20CV mini with opening hole - had a lot going for it on paper, but didn't quite deliver to expectations
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

Mini is good
Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

riclaw wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:02 pm
The Barrage looks like an assisted Griptillian. Has anyone played with the 580-2? Thoughts on the assist mechanism and/or carry comfort?
I like the Barrage. Handle is a little slimmer than a full size Griptilian but still has a decent amount of contour to it. It's not as wide in pocket as a Spyderco with a big hump for the opening hole but it is thicker than many of Spyderco's flat-sided designs. G10 on the 580-2 should feel solid compared to the 580.

Assist works well though my personal preference is to de-assist the full size Barrage and leave the mini assisted (just a taste thing... to me a deassisted Barrage blade is just perfectly weighted, reminiscent of the 730 Ares if you're familiar with other old Benchmades. The coil spring can be a little finicky when opened up and removing can introduce/expose centering/play issues so YMMV).

I like the M390, high flat ground 581 a lot.

/Thread drift

On the Griptilian, I'll echo what others have said. Full size is too plasticky/clacky, mini with the full liners is better, G10 or other more solid handles improve the full size.

I kind of felt for a plastic handled working knife I'd rather have a slightly cheaper Delica or Endura and if I wanted a Benchmade I'd rather pay a little more for a 710 or 943 or whatever else. But certainly nothing majorly wrong with the Grip. Just not to my taste and a lot of other options.

I had several full-sizes and one mini; gave the mini to a friend and sold the full sizes. In retrospect I really should've kept the 551BK-1301 (2013 Shot Show knife, M4 blade and dark red/black G10 scales, top knife in the below three). But it would've been a collection piece, not a major user. Rather have a Endura/PM2/Manix2/710/581 for use.

riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Skywalker wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:53 am
riclaw wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:02 pm
The Barrage looks like an assisted Griptillian. Has anyone played with the 580-2? Thoughts on the assist mechanism and/or carry comfort?
I like the Barrage. Handle is a little slimmer than a full size Griptilian but still has a decent amount of contour to it. It's not as wide in pocket as a Spyderco with a big hump for the opening hole but it is thicker than many of Spyderco's flat-sided designs. G10 on the 580-2 should feel solid compared to the 580.

Assist works well though my personal preference is to de-assist the full size Barrage and leave the mini assisted (just a taste thing... to me a deassisted Barrage blade is just perfectly weighted, reminiscent of the 730 Ares if you're familiar with other old Benchmades. The coil spring can be a little finicky when opened up and removing can introduce/expose centering/play issues so YMMV).

I like the M390, high flat ground 581 a lot.
Thanks, Skywalker. I love a lot of BM designs. Though recently prices have gotten out of hand, I managed to locate two 580-2's in the wild for a reasonable price and am sorely tempted to take one home.

My favorite BM is the 535BK-4. The aluminum gives the Bugout a solidity the grivory lacks and, like you say, the M390 is a great steel.
- Richard
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

It's the last of the classic Benchmades and holds a place in my heart because of it. Also, RIP Mel Pardue. Great handle for those who like a full grip, but I am one of those who found it thick. Slightly blade heavy in full size form, and the mini is way too mini (hate that the handle is small, but the edge is still so far away)

The D'allara 3 always reminded me of it
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I’ve had several, they’re great knives and tough as nails. They were made to take a beating and used to be an excellent value, not sure what they go for now.

I would not hesitate to get one if you’re interested. Maybe look for a used one? Never had an issue with benchmade knives or their warranty.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006