Is my new Para 2 in S45VN real?

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
hateface

Is my new Para 2 in S45VN real?

Post by hateface »

I sold my first PM2 years ago, back before the market had become so saturated with counterfeits. Anyways I just picked up another PM2 now in S45VN through an amazon fulfilled vendor who had a lengthy amount of positive feedback. While I know this can be boosted I just wanted to check with you guys since it seems everyone on YouTube has their own nuanced opinion as to what makes a fake. Box came with an appropriate sized plastic sleeve, sticker, guide and the thin foam base that doesn’t quite cover the bottom of the box. Blade etchings feel flush, g10 curves are smooth, lock release isn’t edged, liner has 2 cut outs, and the pocket clip etching is clean. I was going to use RIT dye as I’ve used it with g10 in the past but wanted to make sure first. Pictures are below.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
image5.jpeg
image6.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image4.jpeg
image0.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image7.jpeg
Michael Janich

Re: Is my new Para 2 in S45VN real?

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear hateface:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

You should be able to look at the Amazon order and see the name of the fullfiller. You can cross reference that with the dealer's list on Spyderco's website. I have only purchased a couple of knives through Amazon. I will see if it is fullfilled by an authrozed dealer before ordering. Deadwood knives comes to mind.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
hateface

Post by hateface »

I found a pic of my old para 2 and noticed that the line/ledge that goes across the spidey hole seems to line up differently than my current para 2. The top line in the first knife picture is much further forward than in the second current knife picture.
Attachments
IMG_1460.jpeg
IMG_1456.jpeg
Blaine in the Rock

Post by Blaine in the Rock »

Wassup, hateface? Welcome to the forums. I was hoping some more knowledgeable peeps would chime in, but while we are waiting, I'll tell you what I think:

It looks great. I don't see anything wrong with it. Not sure about the grind thru the Spydie hole and if that has changed through the years. There is a born on date on some blades, but I do not know if this PM2 is one of them. You would have to remove the blade to check.

There are amazing fakes out there now. Perfect, according to youtube reviewers. Or so perfect that a regular person will not be able to tell. I would not trust any knife to be real, no matter how good it looks, unless I bought from an authorized dealer. EVEN THEN, you could get a fake. If someone returns a fake and it passes through, then that retailer now has a fake on their shelves and it could be sold to you.

The one Spydie I got from Amazon I did thru Deadwood Knives, who are mentioned above. They are a real dealer with a real website although I couldn't find the auth dealer list at the time to check. I had a gift card. I took a chance and am happy.

Is it one of those nice, easy returnable items with free return shipping? If I was unsure, unsure enough to make a thread, I would return it and buy one I know is real, just for peace of mind. I would hate not knowing. I got burned with a fake a few months ago and still have that bad taste. :bug-red-white
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

hateface wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:07 pm
I found a pic of my old para 2 and noticed that the line/ledge that goes across the spidey hole seems to line up differently than my current para 2. The top line in the first knife picture is much further forward than in the second current knife picture.
The clips look different to me , bit possibly distance is different . Clips can be a giveaway . The line can vary . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
hateface

Post by hateface »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:52 am
hateface wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:07 pm
The clips look different to me , bit possibly distance is different . Clips can be a giveaway . The line can vary . MG2

Sorry, I forgot to specify that I had a titanium deep carry clip on that first comparison picture. I had also lightly RIT dyed the camo scales in black back then. I planned on doing the same because the camo PM2’s are always a little cheaper and I can easily dye the scales solid black for under $3.