“Best” steels video with Larrin

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Josh Crutchley

Re: “Best” steels video with Larrin

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:39 pm

I wonder what tools he uses to grind his coupons exactly the same, as shown above. I read Larrin's first book, but don't recall reading how the coupons are ground and sharpened. All these coupons must slice like demons initially, with their .010 BTE, wow.

I would like to own that very shape of a blade in a folder, perhaps called the Coupon Folder. Fun.

(That blade shape already kinda-sorta exists as a fixed blade, the "hacking knife." I own several hacking knives and they are super useful in the shop, and when doing rough work in the field.)
I'm pretty sure BBB does the Catra blades.

https://youtu.be/VzCNEeP9ly0
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Maybe folks can answer this for me. S35vn seems to test really well as a balanced steel. Larrin at one time would have listed this as a favorite. Why did it disappear so fast? I have a N5 LW in it and won't let it go anytime soon. What's the deal?
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Bemo wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:47 pm
Maybe folks can answer this for me. S35vn seems to test really well as a balanced steel. Larrin at one time would have listed this as a favorite. Why did it disappear so fast? I have a N5 LW in it and won't let it go anytime soon. What's the deal?
As you well know, Not long ago steels like vg10, s30v and S35vn were premium steels, now technology has advanced so people want more and the manufacturers provide what the people want. Those knives didn’t magically degrade in performance, they still cut great!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bemo wrote:
prndltech wrote:
Bemo wrote:
As you well know, Not long ago steels like vg10, s30v and S35vn were premium steels, now technology has advanced so people want more and the manufacturers provide what the people want. Those knives didn’t magically degrade in performance, they still cut great!

Yes, but I think (don´t know of course) what Bemo meant is perhaps something along the lines "why did S35VN not continue to replace S30V", like it just for a short time did in the Native 5 LW (I actually owned one (Native 5 LW) in S35VN myself).

To ME though that is a good thing - so just from the specs I do prefer S30V over S35VN especially in a folder (though I don´t think that I´d really feel a difference in a blind test). In a folder I appreciate the higher wear resistance ("6" vs "5") of S30V a lot over the higher toughness of S35Vn ("5" vs "4") - after all S30V has still the same toughness as VG10 according to the chart. Corrosion resistance is listed as the same anyway (S35VN and S30V)

I also read several times (no idea if or how true) that S35VN mainly offers benefits for the MAKERS (easier to work with) rather than for the USERS.

That said: Really liked the S35VN on my Tenacious LW, but so do I like S30V.

/ Now for S45VN: On the charts it looks really very close to S30V, but in the pics of the corrosion test RamZar shared it looks to be a lot more rust resistant. Does not matter to me much, but many need and want more corrosion resistance.
Last edited by Wartstein on Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:43 pm

Now back to LC vs S30V.....no matter how I sharpen them, I see a big difference in how long they hold their edge. The difference is particularly pronounced with a coarse edge.

S30V shows very, very good edge holding compared to its general reputation these days, especially with edges in the 150-400 grit range. Sharpened to a well apexed coarse finish, S30V cuts and cuts. This is why I personally will never pass on a design for "only" being S30V. It's a fantastic steel and is nearly corrosion proof for my uses when DLC coated.

Yes, I still wonder what igi964 does to his knives to find LC200N to have BETTER edge retention than S30V.

I really don´t have the deeper insight, sharpening skills or even interest like you, Vivi, and many others here when it comes to steels, sharpening... but that I still find S30V clearly superior to LC200N when it comes to edge holding even with my comparably "coarser scale" and just my "gut feeling" in use actually speaks for a real difference in its own way (I probably could not detect a real difference between S35VN and S30V with my "methods" for example).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Funny how many reaction on LCvs S30V. My main point was that M390 is MUCH better than S30V. I am not a CATRa tester, just regular user with Sharpmaker and cardboard to cut😉😃 I used to check my edge with my nail. If it glide smooth its OK, if it has small chips or flat spots you can feel as a "bump". For some reason S30V over the years on multiple Spyderco knives no matter how sharpen is bumpy after carboard cutting fairly quickly. M390 on the other hand keep its edge smooth for a long time.

The LC vs S30 was a bit different. It was mostly a geometry thing I suppose. It was not a Spyderco with very thin geometry. Maybe due to high toughness it simply keep the edge smooth longer than S30V / VG10.
Just my 2c. YMMV
vivi

Post by vivi »

Igi964 wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:28 am
Funny how many reaction on LCvs S30V. My main point was that M390 is MUCH better than S30V. I am not a CATRa tester, just regular user with Sharpmaker and cardboard to cut😉😃 I used to check my edge with my nail. If it glide smooth its OK, if it has small chips or flat spots you can feel as a "bump". For some reason S30V over the years on multiple Spyderco knives no matter how sharpen is bumpy after carboard cutting fairly quickly. M390 on the other hand keep its edge smooth for a long time.

The LC vs S30 was a bit different. It was mostly a geometry thing I suppose. It was not a Spyderco with very thin geometry. Maybe due to high toughness it simply keep the edge smooth longer than S30V / VG10.
Just my 2c. YMMV
I suppose the type of cardboard you're cutting could play a role.

Enough members here have reported edge chipping issues cutting cardboard that I know there is some variable at play.

I've been cutting cardboard with pocket knives for decades and I have never, ever had an edge chip cutting it.

I have chipped edges cutting into steel support beams in cardboard boxed shipments on pallets. I have chipped edges cutting into staples.

But I have never, ever chipped an edge cutting just cardboard.

I also run my edges thinner than most. Think about the BTE geometry of the Shaman or Para 2 VS the geometry of a box cutter.

These days I generally sharpen the bevels on my pocket knives to 10-12dps, sometimes with a microbevel, sometimes not.

I used to go much thinner. MUCH thinner. Like blending the edge bevel into the full primary grind on FFG knives and giving it a ~10dps microbevel. Or converting saber ground folders into scandi grinds. I used to NEVER give a folding knife a back bevel greater than 10dps / 20 degrees total.

I think what you and many other folks may be running into is dirty cardboard.

A box fresh off the shipping truck won't stress ~60rc steels very much at all.

A box that's been sitting on a soggy floor for 7 years that's been moved around a bunch and has all sorts of dirt, grime and contaminants loaded into it will make an edge dull much more.

For me, sharpening each steel at 200-400 grit, PE S30V and LC200N show a large difference when it comes to edge holding.

I don't doubt the reports of others. How we sharpen and what we cut influences our results more than which steel we are using.

When I post about these things I'm merely adding a other data point.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Igi964 wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:28 am
Funny how many reaction on LCvs S30V. .....

Just my 2c. YMMV
Hope you did not see it as an offense or doubt... It is just that I am really not that good at sharpening and detecting finer level differences between steels, but still I almost could not help to find S30V having clearly better edge retention than LC200N.

But, yes, my "findings" were certainly on Spydercos with more or less the same geometries and edge angles.

/ What I still wonder: To what degree could one actually make use of LCs presumably higher toughness than S30V and take LC more "to the limit" when it comes to steep edge angles and by that improve its edge holding - reading through Vivis posts it looks like the "real life" difference there is not that high...
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Just watched the video. Based on my own controlled testing I'd move Aeb-l to the well balanced category. I can probably make my own chart and rankings but I have alot more testing to finish up. 15V has surprised me the most with my own toughness testing.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Steeltoez83 wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:45 am
Just watched the video. Based on my own controlled testing I'd move Aeb-l to the well balanced category. I can probably make my own chart and rankings but I have alot more testing to finish up. 15V has surprised me the most with my own toughness testing.

Surprised you how? Are you saying that 15V is tougher than you expected?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:57 am
Steeltoez83 wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:45 am

Surprised you how? Are you saying that 15V is tougher than you expected?
Yes. Cruwear has the highest ranking with 135 strikes. H1 has 130. 15V has 115. Clearly not at the ceiling in this category but higher than I anticipated it would be.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

Basically a marketing video for his Magnacut, and notice that he slams M390/20CV which are wildly popular for good reasons, and not coincidentally also direct competitors to Magnacut. Totally not surprising as we've seen this exact playbook before.
araneae

Post by araneae »

vivi wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:45 pm
dull&blunt wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:36 am
vivi wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:40 am
RamZar wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:41 am
The six steels Larrin mentioned with two in each category of High Toughness (14C28N, AEB-L), Balanced Steel (CPM-154, CPM-MagnaCut) and High Wear Resistance (CPM-S90V, CPM-S110V) are all Stainless Steels.

Word: “Edge Geometry is more important than Steel and Heat Treating”.

I wonder why H1 isn't ever on his charts?
I recall Dr Thomas mentioning having issues getting samples of certain steels. He would need blanks of the steel to do different heat treats and for CARTA testing. Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t H1 discontinued by its manufacturer?
H1 was discontinued half a decade or so after knifesteelnerds launched.

I've mentioned it to Larrin before but I can't remember what he said when I asked him why he pretty much ignores H1. Couldn't find anything with a search.

It's so weird to me seeing one of the neatest knife steels on the market completely absent from his graphs etc.
I believe access to coupons of H1 was an issue.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

I did a search and I think Sal offered to send him & Peter some H1 back around 2019 or so, then radio silence. So who knows.

He seems kind of dismissive about the steel in general and I never understood why.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Another great corrosion resistant stainless steel is N680 which should be included. Benchmade had it in their Triage line and now Hogue has it in their Trauma line.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
vivi

Post by vivi »

I had a benchmade azeria in that steel and I managed to get spotting on the bevel keeping it in my glove box.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

vivi wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:28 pm
I had a benchmade azeria in that steel and I managed to get spotting on the bevel keeping it in my glove box.

It could be the Benchmade BK coating.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
vivi

Post by vivi »

RamZar wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:33 pm
vivi wrote:

edge bevels aren't coated.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

vivi wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:46 pm
RamZar wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:33 pm
vivi wrote:

edge bevels aren't coated.

Sorry. Missed that part. Just spots and no pitting? Easily removed?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Yep.

I mentioned it to illustrate there's a wide spectrum of corrosion resistance abilities in stainless steels.

I've done the same thing with 8Cr uncoated. It spotted hanging out in my glove box.

420 Leathermans have been fine though. That's what I keep there now, along with a PE LC200N Pacific Salt.