Salt 2 Wharncliffe: gone for good or CQI incoming?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Re: Salt 2 Wharncliffe: gone for good or CQI incoming?

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:49 am
ImHereForTheMilitary2 wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:40 pm
For the life of me I can't see the point of a wharncliffe style blade. Can someone explain the benefits of this style? Please?

Do yourself a favor and watch this

https://youtu.be/hnPhVIFZTb0&t=460s till the end

(or at least start at about 6:20 for an insight into the wharnie "cutting mechanics")

Michael Janich (Knife designer (Yojimbo...), expert in knife self defense, moderator on this very forum..) will explain it to you ;)

If you don´t have a true wharncliffe: Perhaps you have a knife with a long section of totally straight edge (as opposed to a continuous curve): This will already give you an impression how straight edges tend to transfer power better and are less likely to glance of when cutting.
Oh dammnnn....
James Y

Post by James Y »

I've long noted not only how knowledgeable Mr. Janich is, but how articulate he is in communicating his knowledge.

Jim
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

James Y wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:02 pm
I've long noted not only how knowledgeable Mr. Janich is, but how articulate he is in communicating his knowledge.

Jim

I´ve watched that whole vid two times already when it came out, but still did so again now after digging it out for ImHereForTheMilitary2... and really enjoyed it that third time yet again (and I am generally not one who watches a lot of knife vids)

As you say: Lots of knowledge, very well presented!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Thank you for the kind words, gentlemen. I'm honored to be of service...

Stay safe,

Mike
Blaine in the Rock

Post by Blaine in the Rock »

ImHereForTheMilitary2 wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:11 am
I've seen and heard enough. I must get a wharncliffe Spyder now. I'm glad I asked.
I got a SE RockJumper a few days ago. It's awesome and very, very flicky for a lockback. Under $60. Still thinking I need another just to keep on ice. Gonna watch Michael's vid right now!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Michael Janich wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:31 am
Thank you for the kind words, gentlemen. I'm honored to be of service...

Stay safe,

Mike

You really deserve it!

That vid and several other inputs of yours taught me a lot and are always enjoyable to read or watch. :smlling-eyes
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'm still shocked at all of the Wharnies being cut. I loaded up on backups though so I guess I'm set. The Delica Wharnie is my favorite and most carried model in the whole lineup!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:53 am
I'm still shocked at all of the Wharnies being cut. I loaded up on backups though so I guess I'm set. The Delica Wharnie is my favorite and most carried model in the whole lineup!
“Ditto”
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Ok this can't happen. At least yet. I HAVE to have a RockJumper in K390. THEN they can discontinue the knife.
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

Bemo wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:59 pm
Ok this can't happen. At least yet. I HAVE to have a RockJumper in K390. THEN they can discontinue the knife.
I've been looking for a good yardwork and gardening serrated knife for a while, esp. wharnies. The price of the rockjumper rn is difficult to beat, but I'd hold out for a K390. No word on one coming, so have to assume not in the works given the above about SKUs.

Prefer the rockjumper handle forward design over the Salt 2, but a bright green salt seems like an obvious choice for a garden knife of the two. However it's $30 more for a design I generally like less, even if the color is 10x more appealing.

A K390 rockjumper would make the choice for me. Don't need both, but would take any pointers while I still have the chance to grab one or the other
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Stock up on several serrated Byrd Harrier 2 wharnies at @ around $25 ea. and don't look back. Stash in your vehicles, tool box, tackle box, garden basket, etc.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bleasure wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:22 pm
Bemo wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:59 pm
I've been looking for a good yardwork and gardening serrated knife for a while, esp. wharnies. The price of the rockjumper rn is difficult to beat, but I'd hold out for a K390. No word on one coming, so have to assume not in the works given the above about SKUs.

Prefer the rockjumper handle forward design over the Salt 2, but a bright green salt seems like an obvious choice for a garden knife of the two. However it's $30 more for a design I generally like less, even if the color is 10x more appealing.

A K390 rockjumper would make the choice for me. Don't need both, but would take any pointers while I still have the chance to grab one or the other

Sorry for you, but I think there´ll never be an SE K390 Rock Jumper... There isn´t even one in PE, the whole model (in VG10) got discontinued, plus they disco´ed several of the serrated versions of K390 Spydies...
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

^ Closest thing may be the K390 Endela wharnie, which has also been discontinued but is still in stock in some places.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:39 pm
skeeg11 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:12 pm
I don't think it's just the salt wharnies that are taking a hit. Seems a lot of wharnies are going bye bye throughout the product line.....even the new serrated Byrd wharnies which is a real shame.

I was just about about typing an reply along that lines, you beat me to it.

Yes, looking at the list it seems they are generally moving away from the wharnie blade shape.
And thinking of what Sal and Eric said about how (positively) they feel about wharncliffes and took some pride in the way Spyderco executed those, the reason most likely has to be poor sales, and nothing performance related.

So, sadly, I am of the opinion too that the Salt 2 wharnie will not be replaced by another version with another steel (MC)
When every model gets a Wharncliffe it is bound to lag some sales. I love the Wharn on smaller knives and prefer other blade shapes Delica and up
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

twinboysdad wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:03 pm
When every model gets a Wharncliffe it is bound to lag some sales. I love the Wharn on smaller knives and prefer other blade shapes Delica and up
Yup, well said. Smaller blades are awesome with a wharncliffe, but that does not mean every model needs one. Delica blade, though I believe works really well with a wharncliffe, has almost a wharncliffe blade with its very little belly in its standard configuration. You get more edge with the regular blade shape with an almost equal performer. Tough call even on that model.

I have a Rock Jumper which is my go to utility knife. If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably get a Dragonfly in K390 Wharncliffe and call it a day.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

twinboysdad wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:39 pm
skeeg11 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:12 pm

I was just about about typing an reply along that lines, you beat me to it.

Yes, looking at the list it seems they are generally moving away from the wharnie blade shape.
And thinking of what Sal and Eric said about how (positively) they feel about wharncliffes and took some pride in the way Spyderco executed those, the reason most likely has to be poor sales, and nothing performance related.

So, sadly, I am of the opinion too that the Salt 2 wharnie will not be replaced by another version with another steel (MC)
JSumm wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:
Yup, well said. Smaller blades are awesome with a wharncliffe, but that does not mean every model needs one. Delica blade, though I believe works really well with a wharncliffe, has almost a wharncliffe blade with its very little belly in its standard configuration. You get more edge with the regular blade shape with an almost equal performer. Tough call even on that model.

I have a Rock Jumper which is my go to utility knife. If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably get a Dragonfly in K390 Wharncliffe and call it a day.

It´s interesting how many folks seem to like wharnies in smaller blades, but less in longer ones - me included, and that despite I don´t even have experience with longer whanie knives. So I am actually not even entitled to talk about those (larger wharnies).

Perhaps it´s partly the looks? The appearantly large footprint a large wharnie has when closed?

Or is it rather that larger knives (Endura size) are the "regular size" for me and my typical EDC knife style, which I expect to do everything for me and in some tasks a bit of belly comes on handy?

/ Concerning the Delica: Yes, it has a pretty perfect amount of belly, just a bit but not too much, and a "low", rather strong tip (for the thin stock).
Still: To me a wharnie has actually two defining features:
1.) The straight cutting edge
2.) The typical wharnie tip
The Delica offers "just" kind of point "1" imo.

/ When it comes to the benefits that a long, completely straight edge section offers, I can just recommend the Stretch line once more: Especially the Stretch XL really gives one "wharnie performance" there over a pretty long section of the blade / edge (while most other Spydies` edges start to curve pretty soon ore even right from the heel of the blade)

/ RockJumper: Had one in SE, really liked it, but eventually sold it - reason being the short cutting edge, which really could be longer looking at the available space in the handle. I just slightly preferred my Endela SE in direct comparison.

But I figured that I could always get another RJ whenever I choose so. Now it seems I have to hurry up if I don´t want to miss out... (though in Europe, differently to the US, prices rather go UP when models get disco´ed)