Community Sharpening Journal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
northvanbamboo

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Post by northvanbamboo »

My apologies for being misleading, the 3D printed base is for sharpmaker, i wonder if there is one for gauntlet anywhere on the internet?
Murphy Slaw

Post by Murphy Slaw »

dullmaker wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:00 am
Sal,
Please can we get a Gauntlet for 15 Dps? I’ll be glad to buy a second one. I’m loving the one I have with the cbn stones. Best results I’ve gotten from sharpening so far. For me it is much better than my Sharpmaker. Even doing a few strokes on it after my KME, or Precision Adjust produces a good edge for me.
Thanks
Bruce

I thought I had read that someone was making "adaptors" so you could use the cat-eye rods in the Sharpmaker, but maybe I dreamed it because I only saw it once.
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Not to keep harping on this subject but my salt 2 in Lc200n had another roll on the heel of the blade and I don’t know where these are coming from. Does H2 have a similar problem rolling? After I got it sharpened last week I haven’t done anything crazy with it. Mostly cut of food at a picnic or at home. I put my victorinox tinker through abuse and the edge holds up better.
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
dullmaker

Post by dullmaker »

I thought I had read that someone was making "adaptors" so you could use the cat-eye rods in the Sharpmaker, but maybe I dreamed it because I only saw it once.

I think that Sal had mentioned a shim for the Galley V a while back to adjust the angle, but I haven’t seen anything and Spyderco Outlet Store said nothing was official. Nothing was mentioned about the Gauntlet in Sals post. I would even buy a Galley V if I had to in order to get 15dps with the Cats Eye Cbn stones. Very versatile stones.
olywa

Post by olywa »

Yeah, I am totally in love with the Cats Eye rods, and I have both the Galley V and the Gauntlet w/both sets of rods. I would love to be able to seamlessly set those rods at 15 degrees without having to prop the bases. As it is I am stuck at 10 and 20.

I will note that the SM triangle rods will fit in both the Galley V and Gauntlet bases, with the caveat that you have to wiggle 'em a bit to get a firm set and it appears to open up the angles by a couple of degrees.

I appreciate the 3D printer references though. Ima hafta get me one a doze.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The July 2023 issue of Spyderco byte has a whole section on "Sharpening Serrations".
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

And a good overview of Spydercos rescue knives. That’s what drew me to Spyderco in the first place, those fantastic Sheepsfoots. 👍🏻❤️
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

jwbnyc wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:45 pm
And a good overview of Spydercos rescue knives. That’s what drew me to Spyderco in the first place, those fantastic Sheepsfoots. 👍🏻❤️

Almost all the Rescue knives come only with Fully Serrated blades. The one exception is Atlantic Salt LC200N which you can also have with Plain Edge.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
vivi

Post by vivi »

I always laugh when someone asks if their 2.5" blade pocket knife with XYZ super steel can hold a 15dps edge.

Three Aqua Salts:

1. Seconds reprofiled to 15dps on the sharpmaker.

2. Blacked out reprofiled to 10-12dps by hand.

3. Satin finish reprofiled to 8-10dps per side.

All measurements are eyeball estimates fyi.

This goes to show how thick 15dps really is.

I've batoned, chopped and pried with the satin finished Aqua Salt since the 2000's, and its never gotten edge damage.

I wouldn't worry about any steel Spyderco uses holding 15dps.
:unicorn
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Current freehand technique for 2023.

Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
imyavetra

Post by imyavetra »

The Spyderco benchstones are fantastic!

I've been using them to sharpen our numerous, very dull scissors - including some vintage Wiss dressmaker's shears. I start on a DMT folding diamond stone and end with the medium and fine Spyderco benchstones. On dull scissors, removing metal from the full edge takes a long time - something coarser than my diamond stone would help here.

I also used something I think I learned here! After sharpening a USA-made pair of Fiskars sewing scissors, I discovered to my annoyance that two chips near the base were making the scissors crush fabric at that point instead of cutting it. Based on something I read here, I took my fine Sharpmaker stone and lightly sharpened the chipped area like a serration. It worked! - they now cut near the chip.

I gotta say, the ceramic stones are solid; definitely my best knife-related purchase of the last couple years (besides my new S30V Delica...).

Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

In one of my previous posts I had so much praise for the Spyderco Medium benchstone that I theorized I might "skip the Fine and head straight to Ultra-Fine!" as my next stone from Spyderco, but alas, foot-in-mouth disease strikes again, or I irritated the Out-Loud Gods, and here I am retracting that statement.

I don't mind the UF triangle rods I have atm, they're cool, they're novel, they're good for certain things and steels and fiddling and having a little fun, but I've come to really appreciate my original Fine rods even more since trying the UF. Sometimes we have to go too far to find where our comfort line was, I guess, and then retrace our steps.

Anyway, Fine benchstone is on the way, and I couldn't be more giddy. I'm still not great, still verrrry noobish, but freehanding is becoming addicting and fun to me, so this stone should serve me well.

ETA: ^ I love those small orange Fiskars, have had them in my life since I was under the age of 10 I think. I'll have to break my Fine stone in with them if I can locate a pair.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Mass reprofile event. Nothing too crazy, all around 16-17 dps for a start, finished on DMT F (600) micros. I'll likely lower them over time as necessary.

Stones: Chef Knives To Go diamond 140 & 400, DMT Fine (600).
Deburr: Spyderco fine ceramic + diamond spray on kangaroo leather

Sharpening impressions and effort:
- K390 was the easiest to set the bevels and trivial to deburr. Such a pleasure. 👍👍
- CRK's S45VN was easy to set the bevel and deburr. It felt the hardest / most glassy on the stone. It was skipping over the 400 diamond at first that I had to double-ckeck if I was on the correct grit.
- 4V was next. Easy to cut, but I had to cut the edge off twice before it would deburr cleanly.
- M4 gave me the most grief. I had to cut the edge off three times before it would deburr cleanly.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Nice. How long does a project like that take?
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

About 4 hours over 2 days.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Cool, thanks.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:36 am

The other day, i have seen in the comments of your video that you recommand the king resin bonded diamond stones. Could you point me in a direction to buy them ?

I've been searching and cant really find them at European stores. I only find Naniwas
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Screenshot_20230813_105430_Gallery.jpg
Fresh edge on my k390 leafjumper with the spyderco cbn benchstone.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:34 am
Deadboxhero wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:36 am

The other day, i have seen in the comments of your video that you recommand the king resin bonded diamond stones. Could you point me in a direction to buy them ?

I've been searching and cant really find them at European stores. I only find Naniwas
I’m seeing them as available through Amazon over here. Not sure that works for you.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Played around and reprofiled one of my Magnacut mules. Misread my angle cube as 15 degrees but later checked it as 12. 🤦‍♂️Too late to turn back now! Used the Hapstone v7 and my janky homemade triangle jigs.

Diamond down to ultra fine then a few strokes on hard leather with 1micron cbn emulsion.

Not my best but it sails through hair and cedar. I'll attempt to finish out the remaining scratches I missed, but had to play around with it for a bit until I can feel my arm again.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049