FOMO or No?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zhyla

Re: FOMO or No?

Post by zhyla »

At a certain point they’re just knives. It’s pretty rare I see one that will do something the ones I already have won’t do.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:17 pm
At a certain point they’re just knives. It’s pretty rare I see one that will do something the ones I already have won’t do.
That's exactly where my mind is at these days as well. It's such a relief! I've passed on many over the past year or two, with that mentality. So far I can't say I have any regrets over knives I passed up.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

yeah, missing out on something you really want and realizing you're still fine really helps.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Ric

Post by Ric »

My FOMO stopped as I was not allowed to purchase a new exclusive from the dealer because they do not ship internationally.
And I do not support flippers other than knives and dolphins.

This stopped the drive to get new knives.
I still buy new ones but seldom and I do not move mountains to get it.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:35 pm
zhyla wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:17 pm
That's exactly where my mind is at these days as well. It's such a relief! I've passed on many over the past year or two, with that mentality. So far I can't say I have any regrets over knives I passed up.
I agree that they all pretty much do the same thing. Honestly, I could get by nicely with a Manbug or Dragonfly for most of my pocket knife needs. Something a little bigger is better for me if I'm breaking down a lot of cardboard.

I own a lot of different models but I don't have regrets about any of the ones I've passed on. There's a few models that just don't appeal to me. There's also been some models that I was on the fence on but ended up picking up on sale or as a second. Some of those turned out to be real jems and I'm glad I have them
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Stas

Post by Stas »

Yes, just ordered Sun & Moon :squinting-tongue

I feel more and more, that Browsing, searching, purchasing, collecting the knifes and Carrying a specific model long enough, appreciating design and learning to keep it sharp are two different hobbies…
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
Fine Swine

Post by Fine Swine »

I’ve reached the point where I really only buy knives that are rare, limited, or otherwise special in some way. For example, my last two Spydercos were the Paysan and Darn Dao. Mass production just doesn’t interest me, anymore. This philosophy doesn’t just apply to Spydies, though.
Road Tripper

Post by Road Tripper »

I have mild FOMO. The current instance is for the Sun and Moon Chaparral (I have the FRN one), and I'm still on the fence...

The last couple of Spydercos that really called to me were the mid-backlock Manix from 2018 (?), and the Delica in the desert camo Zome FRN, which is still a favorite.

These days, I have about ten Spydercos and don't need any more knives from a practical standpoint. I do hope to get a Yojimbo if there's another MAP holiday. I'll also think a little more about the Sun and Moon Chap.
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

I like to test steels so many purchases are derived from that. Sometimes I purchase outside my own comfort zone to verify or disprove the testimonies I've heard. My goal was to build a database based on facts not fiction. Testing has been derailed due to unfortunate circumstances. Anyone who has viewed my Instagram should understand why. I generally wait a few months to begin carrying newer knives unless I'm specifically testing steel. In my own warped mind I just think creating the database I want to is beneficial to the community. Maybe not a fear of missing out but a different fear equally as dangerous.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Steeltoez83 wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:11 pm
In my own warped mind I just think creating the database I want to is beneficial to the community. Maybe not a fear of missing out but a different fear equally as dangerous.
By the time you have reached conclusions the IKC will have moved on to the next steel. Steels aren’t entirely fads but there’s a huge fad component.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I’m pretty sanguine about taking or leaving knives. I bought quite a few to begin with, but more out of curiosity as to which would suit me best. Ironically Spyderco’s innovation and considered steel selection has mainly driven a refinement of my tastes specifically towards custom fixed blades. Now when I see an exclusive, sprint or mega deal on a Spyderco I weight its utility against my existing selection of custom fixed blades and Spyderco models. Invariably it isn’t of greater utility than what I already have, so I let it pass me by. The only time I go out of my way these days is for a compelling Manix 2 XL sprint/exclusive or mules 🤷🏼‍♂️
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Very little in the current lineup appeals to me, so I have little fear of missing out. Sprints and Exclusives of models I don't care for anyway certainly aren't enough to trigger FOMO, and the ones I do care for don't seem to be getting such attention anymore. New Mules are coming out fast enough to deplete my finances anyway.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I like collecting different steels in the five or six models that my hand likes. I've got a lot of the older sprints that weren't very hard to get at the time, so I don't lust after say S90V with Teal G10. I did miss out on a couple of hotly contested mule team knives, but it didn't bother me that much, probably because I have so many mules already. At this point, I'd say I was a gamer, I'll try for something I want, but if I don't get it, I'm happy to save the money. It really helps though that a lot of people don't like the bigger knives.

Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

FOMO?

If you mean the pro-active procurement of pre-need replacements in anticipation of likely future import/export restrictions of terrified western governments everywhere, then yes. 😎
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
vivi

Post by vivi »

Nope.

Even when it comes to my favorite models I'm not worried about sprints etc.

Didn't get a 4V Military or Cruwear Manix XL and I'll sleep just fine at night.

I'm happy with basic DLC S30V models and salts.
:unicorn
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

FOMO? What’s that? Never had it I guess. I never missed out😉. Except that Delica I let pass. 🤔 Now I have SILIG (sad I let it go). I guess we all have a different calling in life. The same goes with Spyderco. Just don’t let it ruin you.

⛽️🔥🤣
MRj “Weak things break!”
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:31 pm
Steeltoez83 wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:11 pm
In my own warped mind I just think creating the database I want to is beneficial to the community. Maybe not a fear of missing out but a different fear equally as dangerous.
By the time you have reached conclusions the IKC will have moved on to the next steel. Steels aren’t entirely fads but there’s a huge fad component.
Testing would only take about a week to finish. Then I'd have 3 data points that covers toughness, wear resistance, and a mock simulation of real world use with scheduled wear resistance cutting and impacts on ice. I incorporate scheduled touch ups to provide a rough guideline for what i call edge longevity. I am doing everything for my own curiosity and sharing my results. There's always gonna be folks that believe the grass is always greener on the other side. I don't think spyderco makes bad steel, just different intentions. Testing allows quantifiable numbers to showcase the spectrum of these steels and how they compare to each other.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

New car payment and folder contentment has squashed fomo for me for the most part. Mules are a different story...
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
mreagan

Post by mreagan »

I had FOMO to a great extent when I started buying and it crept up again at the seconds sale this year. But I've only been at this a couple years and I'm likely going to start selling the knives I don't carry. I rather it get used by someone else. So maybe that's a sign that the FOMO fever is passing. I have more knives than I'll ever need or reasonable wear out already. Unsubscribing to certain knife feeds on social media also helps decrease desire...then again I just bought a ZT 0452 that I likely will rarely carry, so what do i know. :thinking

I still have a few models I'd like to try out, like the Bradley, possibly the Stretch. I don't chase steels, but do ask the community here about specific uses and qualities of steel. I've never had an issue with any steel I've bought from Spyderco, even the Byrd models or value models.

Anyway to each their own.
Matt

:bug-red-white , Watu, PM2 Crucarta, Shaman, Caribbean, SpydieChef, Ikuchi, Chaparral, Manix 2, Native 5, Siren, Delica 4, Kapara, Manix 2 Maxamet, Raven 2
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Yes FOMO. I don't think enough cash can cure it either. So, I rarely act on it. I feel it but I am mostly able to let it go.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)