Dual grit sharpmaker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JoviAl

Re: Dual grit sharpmaker

Post by JoviAl »

Enactive wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:36 pm
JoviAl wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:17 pm
Enactive wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:59 pm
Is there a preferred side to make coarse or fine based on the user's handedness?
I swap them over after about five sharpenings, as the coarse side tends to lose more metal over time from the more aggressive rod. Switching the rods balances the bevels out again before it becomes too wonky.
Thanks. Makes sense. You see no performance nor 'steering' effect from either?
I haven’t let it get that far down the road of bias to one side of the bevel or the other - as soon as I notice the bevels looking slightly uneven I switch the rods and sharpen it the other way 🤷🏼‍♂️ it works really well for single bevel SE knives as you don’t have to switch the rods at all.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

JoviAl wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:30 pm
The colours really popped when I first made it, but it’s had a tough life in the kitchen after me and M398 fell out.
That is some wild stuff, definitely like the colors!

Thanks for posting this!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
benja-man

Post by benja-man »

Great idea using dual grit on serrated edges! I'll give it a try.
The Home Slice

Post by The Home Slice »

Hey JoviAl, Gabe here from The Home Slice - It's so cool to hear about your results from the Sharpmaker - Sal & the team recently sent me a Sharpmaker and I have thought about doing a dual grit edge with it. Looks like you beat me to it, and with good results. I also switch sides to avoid biasing the edge over time.

I'm going to give dual grit on the Sharpmaker a try and will have to keep you posted on my thoughts.

Cheers bro.
-Gabe | The Home Slice (YouTube)

https://www.youtube.com/@homeslicesharpening
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Gabe:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

The Home Slice wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:48 am
Hey JoviAl, Gabe here from The Home Slice - It's so cool to hear about your results from the Sharpmaker - Sal & the team recently sent me a Sharpmaker and I have thought about doing a dual grit edge with it. Looks like you beat me to it, and with good results. I also switch sides to avoid biasing the edge over time.

I'm going to give dual grit on the Sharpmaker a try and will have to keep you posted on my thoughts.

Cheers bro.
Hi Gabe, I’m glad you’ve joined the forum 👍🏻

I can’t really take any credit for it - I learned about the concept from watching your videos after all man. Doing it on the sharp maker was just making a positive out of a rod getting smashed. One thing I have learned is that you can get a wicked refined dual grit edge on SE knives like the Caribbean if you use a bit of dowel with denim wrapped round it for a strop and good old Mother’s Mag (which I was pleasantly surprised to find is widely available here in Singapore).

Have a great day buddy,
Al
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
The Home Slice

Post by The Home Slice »

JoviAl wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:08 am
The Home Slice wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:48 am

Cheers bro.
you can get a wicked refined dual grit edge on SE knives like the Caribbean if you use a bit of dowel with denim wrapped round it for a strop and good old Mother’s Mag (which I was pleasantly surprised to find is widely available here in Singapore).

Have a great day buddy,
Al
That's awesome Al, I will have to try that!
-Gabe | The Home Slice (YouTube)

https://www.youtube.com/@homeslicesharpening