Fluted CF Native5 In Stk

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RamZar

Re: Fluted CF Native5 In Stk

Post by RamZar »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:04 pm
can't quite justify one while i have the 40th anniversary native and a fluted ti in my crosshairs...

The Native Fluted CF weighs just 2.8oz (79g) compared to 4.2oz (119g) for the Native Fluted TI.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Fluted Ti N5 was my grail knife when I first became interested in Spyderco. I was fortunate to get one on close-out special when they were discontinued. While I like the light weight of the fluted CF 40th Anniversary N5, I have no problem with the heft of the fluted Ti
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

RamZar wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:11 pm
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:04 pm
can't quite justify one while i have the 40th anniversary native and a fluted ti in my crosshairs...

The Native Fluted CF weighs just 2.8oz (79g) compared to 4.2oz (119g) for the Native Fluted TI.
Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:36 pm
Fluted Ti N5 was my grail knife when I first became interested in Spyderco. I was fortunate to get one on close-out special when they were discontinued. While I like the light weight of the fluted CF 40th Anniversary N5, I have no problem with the heft of the fluted Ti

It’s knowing about choices. I have both the CF & TI Fluted models. The TI is also thicker in the handle. I like my various Native folders due to different steels, handle materials, weight and thicknesses. My first Native was an all stainless steel Native II (first from the top) which weighs a hefty 4.62 ounces (131grams) but it has a super-slim handle thickness. Still one of my favorite folders and works flawlessly even though it’s 23 years old.

I like hefty all stainless steel folders even though I don’t carry them often.

• Native II AUS-10 CE SS Japan (2000)
  • A.T.R. VG-10 SE SS Japan (2005)
  • Endura4 VG-10 SE SS Japan (2006)
  • Ladybug3 VG-10 PE SS Japan (2013)
  • Foundry CTS-XHP PE SS USA (2015)

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
kobold

Post by kobold »

I wish I could justify buying a second one.
The clip is removed now, for an even nicer experience.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
jdw

Post by jdw »

I love mine and I would highly recommend one. I have yet to see a picture that does justice to the way the fluted CF catches the sunlight. It’s pretty stunning. You really can’t go wrong when you add S90V steel and the fantastic quality of the build.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Just sharpened mine yesterday! This and the BBB pm2 are the only 2 knives I've been rotating for the past 2 months.

-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

jdw wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:04 pm
I love mine and I would highly recommend one. I have yet to see a picture that does justice to the way the fluted CF catches the sunlight. It’s pretty stunning. You really can’t go wrong when you add S90V steel and the fantastic quality of the build.
Agreed. I haven’t been able to do so either. It’s a very nice pattern that in many light conditions remind me of the darker specimens of black viper / black adder.

Last edited by aicolainen on Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I finally got one of these! I'm not sure how it got passed QC with all the marks on the blade but I'm not complaining

RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The fluted pattern is really nice up close and personal.

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I always liked how this photo turned out. The scales truly are unique and can only be fully appreciated in person. I always thought they looked great from photos, but their even nicer in hand with your own eyes!

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Selling out some places. Took almost 9 months to restock last go around fyi.
MRj “Weak things break!”
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Once again I've decided to pass. I have too many other nice knives and adding one of these would only add another choice to make when deciding on what to carry. If I buy another knife soon it'll likely be a Native 5 LW with Magnacut. I need another Native 5 LW like I need another hole in my head but Magnacut is really intriguing to me
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Alternatively, a Native 5 with MagnaCut & Fluted CF.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94661
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

RamZar wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:09 pm
Alternatively, a Native 5 with MagnaCut & Fluted CF.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94661
Yeah I remember seeing that. I've considered blade swapping one of several Native 5 blades I have with the blade in the 40th Native. The 40th Native is too nice as it is. I might temporarily put the Damasteel blade in my Fluted Ti handle and the S35VN blade in the fluted carbon fiber but it would only be a short term thing. What I need to do is just start carrying the whole 40th knife and using it more. Not sure why I'm saving it for someone else to use it some day. I have have used it but pretty gently. The knife was sitting on my desk while I working today and that Damasteel blade had a great edge on it.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:01 pm
Once again I've decided to pass. I have too many other nice knives and adding one of these would only add another choice to make when deciding on what to carry. If I buy another knife soon it'll likely be a Native 5 LW with Magnacut. I need another Native 5 LW like I need another hole in my head but Magnacut is really intriguing to me
You sound like a grown up. What are you doing here?

:winking-tongue
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

aicolainen wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:10 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:01 pm
You sound like a grown up. What are you doing here?

:winking-tongue
Ha! Well....based on how many knives I already have, I got a little carried away for a few years there. So I wasn't acting very grown up then. I just bought 3 more in the seconds sale. So I'm still adding to the pile-o-knives. Plus I have other hobbies and there's only so much fun money to go around