Saturday Mango with Endura 4 HAP40 Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BIGSTRETCH

Saturday Mango with Endura 4 HAP40 Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

Some people like to use folding knives for kitchen tasks. Why bother? A Z-cut is only $20. It has always sounded suspect to me, but the Endura sure does look like one of those fancy Japanese Chef's Knives. Also, Spyderco has to make some of the best knives in Japan. :)

Spyderco Endura 4, Zome Orange and Black, HAP40 Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive
This color combo shows up beautifully in Zome. The orange is so rich and bright!

Well it cuts! This is the factory edge.

So, do I let the juice stay on there and oxidize the **** out of the edge? Probably not. If you do something like this regularly, I think it will patina nicely even if you oil the blade after use. I could be wrong though, Hap40 is less reactive than the Super Blue Santoku you see next to it above. Rinse, Wipe and Camelia Oil (frog lube, chapstick, any wax or oil works really).

Should someone ever need a folding Chef's knife. Camping knife, Picnic Knife? The Endura 4 makes a fine candidate for such a task. When you’re finished and ready to wrap up the leftovers, it will also slice through saran wrap, which is very necessary because Costco plastic wrap comes in a dispensing container which will self destruct and be rendered useless almost immediately after opening.

Last edited by BIGSTRETCH on Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cabfrank

Re: Saturday Mango with Endura 4 HAP40 Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive

Post by cabfrank »

Great post, cool bird!
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

cabfrank wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:32 pm
Great post, cool bird!
Thanks man!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I like both ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:06 pm
I like both ! MG2
They're both great knives. The Santoku is in dire need of a sharpening, but is so thin behind the edge that sharpness is almost negligible. The edge is full of nicks and chips, yet it still keeps cutting and pretty cleanly too. It is the Kohetsu branded Aogami Super Santoku 180mm. I got it from Chef's Knives To Go and probably should have mentioned that in the original post.
endura3

Post by endura3 »

Awesome post - thanks for sharing! That HAP40 endura looks like a great user and the zome pattern is super cool.
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

endura3 wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:53 am
Awesome post - thanks for sharing! That HAP40 endura looks like a great user and the zome pattern is super cool.
Thanks! I've found that the Endura is a really nice big knife to have in your pocket this time of year because it is light weight, the scales are super grippy and it won't pull your shorts down. :)