Sharpening 15v steel with less than $50 of supplies and why my guided system collects dust. (Baryonyx+CBN Plates)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: Sharpening 15v steel with less than $50 of supplies and why my guided system collects dust. (Baryonyx+CBN Plates)

Post by Sharp Guy »

BIGSTRETCH wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:37 pm
Ramonade wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:48 am
I thought you had a dust collecting system installed near your sharpening spot !
I'm tired, I've been making Tenacious and Watu scales all day and my mind must be full of dust :')
Haha! I'd definitely do that too if it was easy enough. The idea of inhaling all that removed metal freaks me out. I lubricate the **** out of everything, water isn't good enough on the guided systems either, needs to be viscous.
Built-in dust extraction. I don't really use it when sharpening knives because I usually water but I certainly would if I was using friable stones dry. I use it more when I'm using that fancy rotary tool, especially when I'm using a cut-off wheel

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
BIGSTRETCH

Re: Sharpening 15v steel with less than $50 of supplies and why my guided system collects dust. (Baryonyx+CBN Plates)

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:43 pm
BIGSTRETCH wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:37 pm
Ramonade wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:48 am
I thought you had a dust collecting system installed near your sharpening spot !
I'm tired, I've been making Tenacious and Watu scales all day and my mind must be full of dust :')
Haha! I'd definitely do that too if it was easy enough. The idea of inhaling all that removed metal freaks me out. I lubricate the **** out of everything, water isn't good enough on the guided systems either, needs to be viscous.
Built-in dust extraction. I don't really use it when sharpening knives because I usually water but I certainly would if I was using friable stones dry. I use it more when I'm using that fancy rotary tool, especially when I'm using a cut-off wheel

Sweet setup and nice workplace! Makes me want to get some organizing done.

This actually is always the biggest issue I have with guided systems. Where to put the thing. I literally begin to resent it after it sits somewhere without use for too long.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

BIGSTRETCH wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:15 pm
Sweet setup and nice workplace! Makes me want to get some organizing done.

This actually is always the biggest issue I have with guided systems. Where to put the thing. I literally begin to resent it after it sits somewhere without use for too long.
Thanks! Actually my workbench is a mess at the moment. I always have various projects going on but it's too hot in my garage lately to spend any time out there. So I do what I need to do and then go back in the AC

I have a matching cabinet just to the right of the workbench that has a big 3D printer on it. I store my Hapstone V7 in the space below. All my stones for it are in a small container in the drawer above. I'm embarrassed to say that I don't use the Hapstone as much as I once was. I cycle through a whole bunch of knives and they usually get touched up on the Sharpmaker as needed. One of these days I'll get the Hapstone back out and thin out some edges
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:45 pm
I'm embarrassed to say that I don't use the Hapstone as much as I once was. I cycle through a whole bunch of knives and they usually get touched up on the Sharpmaker as needed. One of these days I'll get the Hapstone back out and thin out some edges

Well, don't be. I'm in the same boat as stated in my OP. It's a great machine, works beautifully, but turns into such an expensive piece of decor when not in use. I should have bought more Spyderco knives instead! :grin-sweat
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

BIGSTRETCH wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:30 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:45 pm
I'm embarrassed to say that I don't use the Hapstone as much as I once was. I cycle through a whole bunch of knives and they usually get touched up on the Sharpmaker as needed. One of these days I'll get the Hapstone back out and thin out some edges

Well, don't be. I'm in the same boat as stated in my OP. It's a great machine, works beautifully, but turns into such an expensive piece of decor when not in use. I should have bought more Spyderco knives instead! :grin-sweat
Not long ago I was reading on here about some new Venev stones. The Venev stones I have are from a few years ago and work fine. Yet there I was looking at new ones online and contemplating buying some more. I stopped myself when I realized what I was doing. I have all this good sharpening equipment that works perfectly fine but not really using. So buying more stones doesn't make sense. I finally came to my senses about buying knives too. I've still bought a few here and there but nothing like the volume I was buying a couple years ago
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:02 pm

Not long ago I was reading on here about some new Venev stones. The Venev stones I have are from a few years ago and work fine. Yet there I was looking at new ones online and contemplating buying some more. I stopped myself when I realized what I was doing. I have all this good sharpening equipment that works perfectly fine but not really using. So buying more stones doesn't make sense. I finally came to my senses about buying knives too. I've still bought a few here and there but nothing like the volume I was buying a couple years ago
It's the pre-OCB venev stones, right? I guess we got sucked in at the same time. I have some of those and considered selling them when the new binder versions came out. It was a worthy exercise to think about what I want my sharpening progression(s) to look like. The guy who makes Gunny Juice has some really good vids on Youtube that helped me narrow down which of those I actually needed for what I was trying to achieve. Ultimately, I needed even less than I anticipated but its good that we have so many options today...

Now Hapstone has some sort of house branded Metal-Organic (there description, not mine) Bonded CBN stones that look fantastic. If I were just starting out and wanted to spend some dough, that is where I'd probably go, but we only really need diamond or CBN abrasives in the higher grit in order to preserve maximum edge retention of the modern super steels when sharpening. This, on top of the fact that a mirror finish is rarely useful for anything, really limits how many stones anyone actually needs.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

What I have are similar to these but the original version.If I was going to upgrade I might go with a couple of the double-sided ones in the link below. But like I said, what I have works pretty well and I'm not really even using them at the moment

https://www.gritomatic.com/products/ven ... -cbn-6-x-1

The Hapstone ones you mentioned do look great but probably a little too pricey to get me to bite

https://hapstone.pro/stones/diamond-and ... remium-cbn