Spyderco Seconds Sale Scores

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jwbnyc

Re: Spyderco Seconds Sale Scores

Post by jwbnyc »

My idea does not require that stock be shipped to the dealers. Spyderco would handle inventory for each dealers listings, and would ship direct to the customer having been informed of the order. Drop shipping is a well established method used in eCommerce, where the customer places an order at an online store and then the manufacturer, or distributor, ships the product to the end user. The retailer never lays hands on the product in question.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Selling them through a dealer website would add cost as they would want some kind of cut. Just say $10 a knife, that is still a good price, but if Spyderco added $5-$10 per second knife could they just put that money into their own server or host? Not saying one is better than the other but just putting it out there.

Spyderco will also need to avoid people not buying 1st run knives and waiting for seconds. "Why buy a Shaman for $270, I will just wait for a seconds for $95." So there needs to be some unreliability / randomness on seconds sales. Drops could be all year long but limited models (one month could be 100 Dragonflys, next month 75 PM2, etc).

Not to mention with the new warehouse coming online Sypderco will drastically increases production. That means a lot more seconds knives which is awesome for us but even a bigger logistical issue for them.

Like all of us, I want these online second sales to be successful and beneficial for everyone.

BTW I think if Spyderco uses anyones ideas they should get a 5 second head start in the next seconds sale.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
CombatGrappler

Post by CombatGrappler »

Long time since I last posted. Got my seconds haul today. Manix LW Maxamet and a 2 knife mystery box. My mystery box contained a Z-Cut pointed kitchen knife and a Para 3 Marbled Carbon Fiber Elmax exclusive.
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

That sounds like a really nice box. I’ve never seen that knife at a seconds sale. The z-cut is my favorite kitchen knife. Congrats!
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
z1r

Post by z1r »

I like my Para 3 Elmax. It is a good score!
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

CombatGrappler wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:38 pm
Long time since I last posted. Got my seconds haul today. Manix LW Maxamet and a 2 knife mystery box. My mystery box contained a Z-Cut pointed kitchen knife and a Para 3 Marbled Carbon Fiber Elmax exclusive.
Great luck on the box. The Manix is also a awesome knife in a nice steel, great pick.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

I'm not the happiest of campers. My 2 knife Mystery Box netted me a Para 3 LW in BDN1 and a pink Lil' Native in S45VN. They wouldn't have been my choices by any stretch of the imagination. Oh well, I did pay for a Shaman in S30V and it is absolutely flawless. I have no idea why its a 2nd. I put new scales on it and Booom! Brand new user.
Ripto

Post by Ripto »

A little disappointed, not gonna lie! Lil Native in pink as my “highly sought after exclusive limited run” knife… But that’s gambling right?!

In a more positive light, the Spyderco pm3 is a good lower value knife compared to what others are getting as their 2nd knife. I’m neither happy, nor mad, just kindof meh. I saw that lil Native and immediately was super disappointed! ...As I think about it more and more, I’m getting less bummed. I think I may be a contender for the worst $150 mystery box I’ve seen yet though. What do y’all think? At least they are both compression and Golden! Add one more guy who will be giving their mystery box knives out as presents!

Short review: The pm3 lightweight version does not have full metal liners or standoffs, which makes it feel much cheaper when compared to say, the Sage LW, which does have those things. It feels super “plasticy.” Also, the inner edges of the liners are sharp, so I may take them apart and sand them a little on the edges before I give it away. Again, not an issue for the Sage LW. Totally different quality from what I’m used to. It feels more like a Byrd or Japan quality Spyderco.

Finally, I will say, overall on this sale, I am VERY happy with my acquisitions that I actually did pick out. PM3 Maxamet and Waterway were both very very good deals. I love this PM3 so much! Thanks Spyderco! Next time, I’m going to pass on the mystery boxes though!
Attachments
image0(1).jpeg
image1(2).jpeg
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

That’s the issue I have with too many boxes. At the seconds sale lil native $75, para3 lw $45 = $120. Not cool. I get 4 two knife boxes hoping for the best expecting the worst.
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Shaman is a grail knife for me, second time I missed it in a second sale. From what I have seen the 3-knife boxes have been solid with Shaman 15V, Native 5 4V, PM2 S90V, REC Manix 204p, YoJumbo CruWear, etc. The 2-knife box has been only okay , generally smaller knives.

I still think the boxes are pretty cool any which way. Good luck on your four boxes, let us know what you got.
Ripto

Post by Ripto »

Removed -- Duplicate post
Last edited by Ripto on Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Optimus Cultro

Post by Optimus Cultro »

Dnwrghtsr wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:36 pm
That’s the issue I have with too many boxes. At the seconds sale lil native $75, para3 lw $45 = $120. Not cool. I get 4 two knife boxes hoping for the best expecting the worst.
The para 3 LW was $60, $58 for the serrated edge. The standard lil native lock back was $68. So those two would have been $128. The mystery box para 3 appears to have not had a DLC blade thus not being the same as the knives in the sale (which is what was advertised). For other DLC knives in the sale they sold for more than the non DLC versions. The exclusive and upgraded steel on the S45vn would ostensibly command a higher price than the lock back lil native in the sale. It’s also hard to know when talking seconds if you are comparing apples to apples.

I wouldn’t consider S45vn to be much of an upgrade over the S30v version and I’ll admit the pink scales are not my style and would be a turn off between the two for me personally. I think that mystery box is pretty clearly the least desirable and probably the least good value vis-a-vis the others I’ve seen. As another comparison point I would have greatly preferred the DLC para 3 LW and say the $95 shaman to the LW para 3 and the pink s45 lil native. I’d wager (assuming any kind of similar numbers for the purpose of the discussion) for $95 the pink lil natives would have stuck around a lot longer than the Shamans. I tried hard for a mystery box but was never able to get through the check out. Someone them would have been nice scores, that one not so much for me and the price. I guess the gamble is part of the fun of them?
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

The black Yojumbo arrived yesterday and I can't tell why it was a second. Action was super tight but did a couple of adjustments and got it perfect. Very happy with my first seconds order. The knife is really awesome-- my initial impressions are that it opens incredibly well as the blade has lots of mass but is extremely thin at the edge and tip, it doesn't carry as large in pocket as i would have thought, and the G10 is mega grippy- I like it but it is a true pocket shredder.
Ripto

Post by Ripto »

Optimus Cultro wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:20 pm
Dnwrghtsr wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:36 pm
The para 3 LW was $60, $58 for the serrated edge. The standard lil native lock back was $68. So those two would have been $128. The mystery box para 3 appears to have not had a DLC blade thus not being the same as the knives in the sale (which is what was advertised). For other DLC knives in the sale they sold for more than the non DLC versions. The exclusive and upgraded steel on the S45vn would ostensibly command a higher price than the lock back lil native in the sale. It’s also hard to know when talking seconds if you are comparing apples to apples.

I wouldn’t consider S45vn to be much of an upgrade over the S30v version and I’ll admit the pink scales are not my style and would be a turn off between the two for me personally. I think that mystery box is pretty clearly the least desirable and probably the least good value vis-a-vis the others I’ve seen. As another comparison point I would have greatly preferred the DLC para 3 LW and say the $95 shaman to the LW para 3 and the pink s45 lil native. I’d wager (assuming any kind of similar numbers for the purpose of the discussion) for $95 the pink lil natives would have stuck around a lot longer than the Shamans. I tried hard for a mystery box but was never able to get through the check out. Someone them would have been nice scores, that one not so much for me and the price. I guess the gamble is part of the fun of them?
Exactly how I feel man. There's another dude on Reddit that got this one and is equally bummed. The Lil Natives are always on sale (as firsts) in cooler steels, with scales that don't need to be dyed for most of your target audience to desire at around the $110-$120 mark. I would have been happier for most of the full-sized Golden or Taiwan knives, but I got a niche pink baby knife lol! It even feels like I got less per pound! I gambled and lost. They knew this box would land like this. There's no way they didn't. There didn't have to be "loser" boxes for it to have been successful marketing and drum up excitement. Instead of a dopamine hit, I got a polite kick in the nuts. It's not like I'm saying there is no value to this box. The Lil' Native is a good lil niche knife and the economy para3 is a great beginner Spyderco. The people on the Seconds sale were not your beginner Spyderco fans though! Money was more of a drive to this sale than customer appreciation.

I think most people defending the mediocre boxes are just worried that Spyderco will stop doing factory seconds sales online... and to that I say, come on, they are a business! They made money selling seconds knives. They sold out quickly! It was profitable and therefore, they will do it again! They got like $450 bucks out of me that I was not intending on spending on knives for something they could not sell while maintaining the reputation that makes their knives valuable. While I know they love what they do, it's business at the end of the day.

Again, the 2x Para3 Maxamet and the Waterway I got were amazing! I should have stopped there. Thanks for listening to me rant ya'll! I still love my precious Spydies!
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Native 5 Lightweight and Para 3 arrived. No issues that I can find other than the usual side to side play because of stepped pivot. The play is really only noticeable with lock disengaged.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

spydergoat wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:59 am
The black Yojumbo arrived yesterday and I can't tell why it was a second. Action was super tight but did a couple of adjustments and got it perfect. Very happy with my first seconds order. The knife is really awesome-- my initial impressions are that it opens incredibly well as the blade has lots of mass but is extremely thin at the edge and tip, it doesn't carry as large in pocket as i would have thought, and the G10 is mega grippy- I like it but it is a true pocket shredder.
I realize your's is a Yojumbo but the action on the black/DLC Yojimbo I got from the sale was pretty tight too. Loosening the pivot didn't do much. Then I realized I needed to loosen the stop pin screws. That made a big difference and the action is very nice now. I'm really happy with the Yojimbo and not sure why I didn't try one sooner

BTW with the pocket shredders. Take the clip off. Put the mount end of the clip in a vice (I use a small machinist vice with some electrical tape inside and top of the jaws), put the mounting area of the clip in the vise and bend the body of the clip out a little. I use a small brass hammer on the inside of the clip. I bend it so it's maybe a 1/16" off the scales when I remount it. It takes a lot of the pressure off and stops the shredding
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:35 pm
spydergoat wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:59 am
I realize your's is a Yojumbo but the action on the black/DLC Yojimbo I got from the sale was pretty tight too. Loosening the pivot didn't do much. Then I realized I needed to loosen the stop pin screws. That made a big difference and the action is very nice now. I'm really happy with the Yojimbo and not sure why I didn't try one sooner
That's a good tip. Hopefully it wasn't too much effort- one of my Yo2s was incredibly hard to disassemble as the threads were really locked up. I like the Y02 action - the detente is strong which I think is a good safety feature on a comp lock. It can take a little practice, but once you overcome the detente it fires open. Middle finger flick works pretty well on it. Anything else about your knife that makes it qualify as a second? I also might not have tried a Yojumbo if I didn't get a seconds deal on it. It seemed like it would be a bit big to carry but it's not bad.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

@spydergoat, see the additional info I added to my post above
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
mnstang

Post by mnstang »

I got my 2 knife mystery box. Scored a like green para 3 20cv exclusive and lil native cruwear exclusive. Pretty solid box if you ask me!
dullmaker

Post by dullmaker »

I received a lightweight native, a black lightweight manix 2 with screwed construction , a Pinned blue lightweight manix 2, a cpms45v paramilitary 2 satin/camo scales, and a maxamet para 3.
I have a paramilitary 2 Maxamet from the first online sale where the blade is a bit warped which dosent stop me from loving it. That said, I can’t see anything wrong with this years haul except maybe some tiny scuffs or chips in the g10 handled which probably came from the knives banging together in the box as 4 out 5 came out of the bubble wrap bags in transit in two separate cartons. I’m extremely happy with the haul even though I missed my first picks. If it is possible for any of the knives to open up while being banged around in transit and injure a carrier, then a piece of tape on the bags will do.
Thanks Spyderco