The tip up/ tip down debate continues

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: The tip up/ tip down debate continues

Post by vivi »

bdblue wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:51 pm
vivi wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:39 pm
So much easier with tip up, because the grip I use to draw the knife has my hand in perfect position to open it. That extra step gets old fast.
Part of the knife sticks out of your pocket- grab that part between thumb and first finger and pull it out. Your thumb will be right next to the opening hole.
With your left hand hold the knife in your pocket where it would be with a tip up clip. Grab the end of the knife and pull it out of your pocket. Your thumb will be on the opposite end of the knife from the hole.
I carry PM2 and Manix 2 interchangeably and have learned how to handle the differences as second nature so it no longer bothers me, I don't even think about it.
Apparently I don't draw my knives the same way as you ;)

I don't pinch the end sticking up out of my pocket. I place my thumb all the way into my pocket, then draw the knife. If you compare my grip to when I start my draw to my grip when I initiate the opening action, they're one and the same.

Drawing knives this way, even larger ones like a Szabo folder, Police or Manix XL, the knife is already in the perfect position to open up without having to adjust my grip.

I'm not sure why anyone would pinch the butt end and necessitate having to adjust their grip. Why add an extra step to the process?
:unicorn
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

ImHereForTheMilitary2 wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:26 pm
VandymanG wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:22 pm

Soggy bread is the best😜 take a slice of bread butter it thoroughly. Then throw it in the microwave wave for a few seconds and you have delicious soggy bread. Also soggy bread with brown sugar and cinnamon is the very best. 😃
okay I gotta know whats up with the wet bread thing.
Watch the video at the start of this thread it’s funny especially the wet bread part. As for soggy bread my grandfather taught it to me. I just improved on it by adding the brown sugar and cinnamon. Sometimes I add raisins or chocolate. But remember always butter and microwave.
Greg

* EDC - - - PM2 - S45VN, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Rockjumper - VG 10, Manix 2 LW - CPM M4

Mules in current use AEB-L and K294
clix

Post by clix »

bdblue wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:13 pm
I found that if you don't go both ways then you miss out on some great knife designs. For instance a staunch "tip down" person would never get to experience the great Manix 2, and a staunch "tip up" person would miss out on the Military. I own both of these models and I like both of these models.
Not always. Check out my Manix 2 XL a few posts up

Formerly THG, Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:55 pm
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Tip up or tip down?

Yes.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
derangedhermit

Post by derangedhermit »

vivi wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:30 pm
I don't pinch the end sticking up out of my pocket. I place my thumb all the way into my pocket, then draw the knife. If you compare my grip to when I start my draw to my grip when I initiate the opening action, they're one and the same.

Drawing knives this way, even larger ones like a Szabo folder, Police or Manix XL, the knife is already in the perfect position to open up without having to adjust my grip.

I'm not sure why anyone would pinch the butt end and necessitate having to adjust their grip. Why add an extra step to the process?
I pinch the end and rotate my wrist as I extract the knife. It lays along my palm as it comes out. My thumb is on the handle right beside the opening hole, my fingers along the edge of the other side, brushing the blade. Push with the thumb and the knife is open. Very smooth and secure. Almost as if it was designed to work that way. No extra steps, no adjustments.

My pocket knife lives in the long skinny side pocket that some cargo pants and shorts have for long skinny things, like pocket knives. No way do a thumb and knife both fit in that pocket. And I think tip down is safer, if perhaps only marginally.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

vivi wrote:

Yes everybody does it differently.

I'm tall and have long fingers. With a knife like the Manix2 if I stick my thumb in the pocket and pull the knife out, my finger is an inch from the opening hole so I have to do a lot of adjustment in order to open the knife. That's with long fingers, If I try this with a fairly small knife like 2 1/2" blade it works better. Actually I just tried it and I couldn't get the knife out of my pocket. With thumb on the inside of the pocket and fingers on the outside I couldn't get the knife out of my pocket, I was just squeezing it tighter against the fabric. I could hook my first finger on the clip and pull that way but my finger slipped off several times so I had to make several tries, and it was still difficult because I couldn't help squeezing the clip against the cloth. When I normally pull out my Manix 2 I grab the part sticking out of the pocket, then I have a maneuver where I actually let go of the knife, let it slip down in my hand, and grab it again in the right position. I've done this enough that I don't even think about it and it is quick and easy. With a PM2 I pull the knife out and it rotates into my palm with my thumb right on the thumb hole, no adjustments needed. It works the same way with the military. I've tried putting the Military in my pocket where it would be if it was tip up and pulling it out, my thumb ends up halfway down the handle, nowhere near the thumb hole.

I'm doing righthand front pocket carry with a fairly long knife. I mostly wear jeans that are fairly tight, with a knife clipped in my pocket I can't put my hand in my pocket, just my thumb. A shorter knife, a bigger pocket, a different pocket, all of those would make a difference.

There is always the question of why you carry it the way you do- some people want tip up so the blade is against the side of the pocket and can't open. Some people want tip up so they can use a lanyard. Not everybody is totally concerned with how they draw and deploy the knife.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Michael Janich wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:51 am
Dear clix:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

The size of your hand relative to your knife and the height of carry provided by the clip also have significant effect.

Stay safe,

Mike

Actually one of several reasons why I don't like deep carry clips, but prefer shallower carry, specially with longer folders.

NOT primarily because more of the knife sticks out of the pocket and so there is more to grab on - I reach deep into the pocket with my thumb anyway when drawing a knife.

BUt, as Mike hints: For me as a tip up guy the thumb is positioned closer to the opening hole after drawing the knife with NON deep carry clips.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
chronovore

Post by chronovore »

Right pants pocket gets tip-up.

Rear, vest, chest, and shirt pockets get tip-down.

In each case, the spine is against a seam. These are just what is most convenient for my hand as I draw a folder from those pockets. While I prefer to carry in my right pants pocket, that isn't always possible depending on what else and how I'm carrying on a given day.

I am very happy that Spyderco still offers tip-down options and I'd like to see more of them, especially with wire clips.
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:42 pm

Actually one of several reasons why I don't like deep carry clips, but prefer shallower carry, specially with longer folders.

NOT primarily because more of the knife sticks out of the pocket and so there is more to grab on - I reach deep into the pocket with my thumb anyway when drawing a knife.

BUt, as Mike hints: For me as a tip up guy the thumb is positioned closer to the opening hole after drawing the knife with NON deep carry clips.
yeah Im with you on that. never saw the point of deep carry clips. seems like it would be more work to get the knife out.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I only carry small, slim and light folders with blade lengths of just under 3 inches and weighing under 3 ounces. As such, tip up for right front pocket carry. Also, I try to get folders which only come in tip up & right hand carry without extra clip holes for alternate carries and no lanyard holes. Makes for a cleaner look.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
vivi

Post by vivi »

bdblue wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:19 pm
vivi wrote:

Yes everybody does it differently.

I'm tall and have long fingers. With a knife like the Manix2 if I stick my thumb in the pocket and pull the knife out, my finger is an inch from the opening hole so I have to do a lot of adjustment in order to open the knife. That's with long fingers, If I try this with a fairly small knife like 2 1/2" blade it works better. Actually I just tried it and I couldn't get the knife out of my pocket. With thumb on the inside of the pocket and fingers on the outside I couldn't get the knife out of my pocket, I was just squeezing it tighter against the fabric. I could hook my first finger on the clip and pull that way but my finger slipped off several times so I had to make several tries, and it was still difficult because I couldn't help squeezing the clip against the cloth. When I normally pull out my Manix 2 I grab the part sticking out of the pocket, then I have a maneuver where I actually let go of the knife, let it slip down in my hand, and grab it again in the right position. I've done this enough that I don't even think about it and it is quick and easy. With a PM2 I pull the knife out and it rotates into my palm with my thumb right on the thumb hole, no adjustments needed. It works the same way with the military. I've tried putting the Military in my pocket where it would be if it was tip up and pulling it out, my thumb ends up halfway down the handle, nowhere near the thumb hole.

I'm doing righthand front pocket carry with a fairly long knife. I mostly wear jeans that are fairly tight, with a knife clipped in my pocket I can't put my hand in my pocket, just my thumb. A shorter knife, a bigger pocket, a different pocket, all of those would make a difference.

There is always the question of why you carry it the way you do- some people want tip up so the blade is against the side of the pocket and can't open. Some people want tip up so they can use a lanyard. Not everybody is totally concerned with how they draw and deploy the knife.
Maybe my hands are a bit larger than yours.

If I draw my Police 4 from my right front pocket clipped tip up, my thumb goes as deep into my pocket as it can, palm rests against the rear end of the closed knife, and my fingers wrap around the clip. My middle finger rests beneath the clip, with my ring finger in the curved part of the clip.

Drawn this way my hand is in the same position as it needs to be for opening the folder.

Can't do that with a tip down knife. I have to rotate it in my grip to be able to open it, or adjust it, spyderdrop it, then adjust it a second time.

Here's how my grip looks on a tip up Police vs a tip down Military when they come out of my pocket:

Now obviously someones ability to do the same will depend on hand size - but drawing a tip up knife by pinching the butt end guarantees you'll have to adjust your grip even on a Dragonfly sized knife, so I'm not sure why anyone draws tip up clipped knives that way.

Part of the trick is pulling up on the clipped folder more than squeezing the handle. That's why I like having my middle finger under the end of the clip, and my ring finger in the bent part. Makes it easy to get good friction in that direction.

Between that, worse ergonomics when cutting with the knife, and it feeling worse when I reach into my right front pocket for my phone if the Millie is clipped there, tip up just makes a lot more sense for me. It's nothing but advantages for me compared to tip down, which does nothing better than tip up and does three things worse.

The only knife I own too big to do this with tip up is a Cold Steel XL Voyager. That one requires a bit of adjustment from the draw to the opening.
:unicorn
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

It's not a debate, it's a preference.