It's wild how many different versions of the compression lock exist

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

It's wild how many different versions of the compression lock exist

Post by vivi »

Think about it for a minute.

How many other locks have so many different implementations?

There's the original compression lock, from the Gunting, which would now be considered a left handed version of the lock:

There's the standard Para 2 style compression lock:

There's the integral version, which is like the frame lock version of the compression lock:

There's a button lock version featured on the Smock:

And there's even a version that adds a choil spring to give the compression lock a strong self close similar to a lock back:

It's amazing how many different styles of compression locks have come out over the years.

Which version would you like to see more of in Spydercos line-up?
:unicorn
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Re: It's wild how many different versions of the compression lock exist

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

That is pretty cool.What's the deal with the first weird looking triangular knife? It's so horribly ugly its beautiful and I just may need to get one
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I've always wondered why the Szabo had a spring. Did not know it was for self close. I searched it on google a few weeks ago and only found people making videos that weren't very informative ^^.

Maybe this impressive evolution of the compression lock is why we aren't already submerged in "Squeez lock", "Contraction lock", "Condensing lock", "not expansion lock" even if the patent has expired for more than a year :')
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

Ramonade wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:28 am
I've always wondered why the Szabo had a spring. Did not know it was for self close. I searched it on google a few weeks ago and only found people making videos that weren't very informative ^^.

Maybe this impressive evolution of the compression lock is why we aren't already submerged in "Squeez lock", "Contraction lock", "Condensing lock", "not expansion lock" even if the patent has expired for more than a year :')
Can you still buy the Szabo anywhere? It looks super cool and looks like a great defensive knife
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I really wish they would make a smaller version of the Szabo, or at least a similar model using the self-close spring.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:45 am
I really wish they would make a smaller version of the Szabo, or at least a similar model using the self-close spring.
Military 3
- Richard
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ramonade wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:28 am
I've always wondered why the Szabo had a spring. Did not know it was for self close. ....

I actually did not even know THAT the Szabo has a spring.. :grin-sweat - but now that I know and Vivi explained why: To me definitely an improvement of the comp.lock!

While a cool an ingenious design, the comp.lock is my least favorite lock among the "main" locks Spyderco uses (back - , liner/frame - , caged ballbearing-, comp.lock), and the reasons for why this is also leads to how I personally answer to Vivis question which version I´d like to see more:

- Comp.lock cutout can make for a hotspot when gripping the knife very hard:
A button comp.lock avoids this, and so I´d like so see more of those

- To me the Comp.lock tends to be the "least good" and unsafest when operating it in harsh conditions - wet, cold, greasy, gloves.
A button would also help with this, so again: More button comp.locks

Con of the button: Appearently some cutout / choil in the blade is mandatory, if one wants to fit a wide blade in a comparably narrow handle

- Lack of self closing bias, weak detent with comp. (and liner - ) locks:
The szabo-ish spring would help,
So more of this feature!

... I can totally imagine that a Caribbean with a button comp.lock and "Szabo-spring" could come close to a dream knife for me (even more so if it would come in FRN, but that´s a different story).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Riffing on riclaw's and Wartstein's ideas, how about a Military 3 (and PM3, etc) with button comp-lock and the self-close spring?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:07 am
Riffing on riclaw's and Wartstein's ideas, how about a Military 3 (and PM3, etc) with button comp-lock and the self-close spring?

Man, I´d certainly get such a Millie 3!! :tonque-out
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The compression lock was such a great idea and an ingenious evolution of liner based locks. It was a game changer!

The number of variations for the compression lock itself speaks to it’s great applicability and does a good job to highlight how practical the lock actually is.

From my understanding, the patents for the Compression Lock have expired, or will soon expire, and as a result anyone will be able to use the compression lock with their own designs. I have to imagine that will open the doors for even more innovation being applied to the compression lock.
-Nick :bug-red
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:03 am
I actually did not even know THAT the Szabo has a spring.. :grin-sweat - but now that I know and Vivi explained why: To me definitely an improvement of the comp.lock!
[...]
Well, I'm gonna do you one more : I did not even know he was french ! Well, not anymore he's a U.S. citizen now, but he know Fred Perrin very well, which is actually very logical seeing his CV.

I don't think the self close function would have much success because as it was made in the Szabo folder, it is less "flicky" like the kids say. The feeling while closing the blade seems to be similar to an assisted opening knife, but less strong.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:22 am
The compression lock was such a great idea and an ingenious evolution of liner based locks. It was a game changer!

The number of variations for the compression lock itself speaks to it’s great applicability and does a good job to highlight how practical the lock actually is.

From my understanding, the patents for the Compression Lock have expired, or will soon expire, and as a result anyone will be able to use the compression lock with their own designs. I have to imagine that will open the doors for even more innovation being applied to the compression lock.
It expired in February of 2021 (or 2022, I don't remember exactly) !

Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:07 am
I believe it was the the large heavy blade of the Szabo Folder itself that necessitated the addition of the spring. While the spring itself is a solution for “self close,” it still seems a bit overly complicated in my opinion. If a knife does not need it to operate safely, it just feels like adding potential failure points for little to no benefit. To me it would only make sense on the Military 2 and even then, it still feels like an unnecessary addition when the knife already functions perfectly without it. :respect
-Nick :bug-red
Guts

Post by Guts »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:22 am
I have to imagine that will open the doors for even more innovation being applied to the compression lock.

Seems there's already one coming from a third party that was talked about here recently, the Vosteed Mayhem. Saw a video of it taken apart. It's basically set up similarly to a Smock for a left (show) side button, however instead of a liner with the integral lock bar, it's using a lock bar insert like on the Para 3 LW.

That said, the compression lock is still my favorite lock. Wouldn't mind it if Spyderco threw it on a few more models like the Native 5 personally.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Would you consider the compression lock of the Para3 to be unique? I have read/heard about the difficulties of the lateral force of the lock and FRN scales. While the operation of the lock feels no different than a compression lock in a G10 knife, there are some important engineering differences.

Never mind, see the comments by Guts below; I was mistaken.

This one is a little more subtle, but the compression lock in the Lil' Temp line is the only one (maybe?) that has the self-defense seal of approval. I think it may just be beefier as opposed to more substantial changes.
Last edited by p_atrick on Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guts

Post by Guts »

p_atrick wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:37 am
This one is a little more subtle, but the compression lock in the Lil' Temp line is the only one (maybe?) that has the self-defense seal of approval. I think it may just be beefier as opposed to more substantial changes.
Wouldn't the Yojimbo and Canis fall into this category as well?
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Guts wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:56 am
Wouldn't the Yojimbo and Canis fall into this category as well?

Whoops, good catch.
vivi

Post by vivi »

p_atrick wrote:
Would you consider the compression lock of the Para3 to be unique? I have read/heard about the difficulties of the lateral force of the lock and FRN scales. While the operation of the lock feels no different than a compression lock in a G10 knife, there are some important engineering differences.

Never mind, see the comments by Guts below; I
From a user perspective, no.

From a manufacturer perspective, yes.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:26 am
p_atrick wrote:

Never mind, see the comments by Guts below; I
From a user perspective, no.

From a manufacturer perspective, yes.

I was very impressed how well they implemented the comp.lock in the almost linerless FRN Para 3 LW (had one for a month). As you both said, felt as smooth and solid in operation as the comp.locks on my PM2 or Kapara.
James Y

Post by James Y »

For me, I'd really like to see a comp lock with greater closed retention WITHOUT the need for a spring. I like simple better. Maybe a slightly bigger detent ball that is both tough and extra wear-resistant (won't wear flatter over time). I don't know how that could be done, but then, I'm not an engineer.

Jim