The tip up/ tip down debate continues

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: The tip up/ tip down debate continues

Post by ladybug93 »

i thought the video was funny.

the only spyderco i carry tip down is the ayoob. i tried tip up, but i think it makes more sense as a tip down, weak side carry knife to have as a backup to the firearm on your strong side. i imagine that's why massad ayoob designed it the way he did. sometimes you just have to default to the designer intent because it makes the most sense.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I think Pete's amount of rediculous is appropriate to the topic. Up, down, sideways.....it's all good and all a personal choice. Cheers
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I have a preference but I go both ways. I have to because there are knife designs I like that are tip up and others that are tip down. I stuck to my preferences very closely for awhile then gave in when I realized that I was missing out on some great designs.

Most people have their preferences too, and there are pros and cons to each method so most people have a reason for their preferences. I find a few people occasionally who seem to be misinformed and make their decision for the wrong reasons but I think this is a small percentage.

Yes the debate continues. The threads and polls pop up frequently. It seems to be fairly consistent though that about 75% of knife enthusiasts state that they prefer tip up.
clix

Post by clix »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:01 am
Anyone here like wet bread?
Peanut butter and water.

Tip-up and tip-down carry isn't really a debate. It's just a matter of what works best, and that depends on:

1. Where you carry (pocket vs. waistband, etc.)
2. Size of the knife
3. Deployment method
Attachments
img.jpg
Formerly THG, Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:55 pm
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear clix:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

The size of your hand relative to your knife and the height of carry provided by the clip also have significant effect.

Stay safe,

Mike
Soulrack

Post by Soulrack »

I prefer tip down for rear pocket carry. I already have my wallet and too much other stuff in my front pocket. I like having the option for tip down and I don't buy knives for the most part that are tip up only because I don't carry them very often. The hatred of tip down carry is ridiculous IMO.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

clix wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:47 pm

Tip-up and tip-down carry isn't really a debate. It's just a matter of what works best, and that depends on:

1. Where you carry (pocket vs. waistband, etc.)
2. Size of the knife
3. Deployment method
I came to say similar, but you already said!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Rival22

Post by Rival22 »

I carried a Leatherman Skeletool for a couple of years, and that was tip down. I never though twice about it. But when I got into pocketknives, they were mostly tip down, and I got used to that and like it better, I think. But it's all in what you are used to.

The true weirdos are the people who go back and forth :rofl
4V / BD1N / CRUWEAR / K390 / LC200N / M4 / MagnaCut / REX45
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Rival22 wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:32 am
I carried a Leatherman Skeletool for a couple of years, and that was tip down. I never though twice about it. But when I got into pocketknives, they were mostly tip down, and I got used to that and like it better, I think. But it's all in what you are used to.

derangedhermit

Post by derangedhermit »

I think lock type is a factor. Benchmade's Axis lock and tip down is not ideal, for example, especially on smaller knives.

One reason I like mid back locks is that they are tip-up / tip-down (and right hand - left hand) agnostic. Perfect.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Rival22 wrote:

When I first discovered knives with pocket clips almost all of them were tip down, even Spyderco models. Spyderco started making molded handles such as the Endura and those worked better tip up so the base of the clip did not interfere with the blade pivot.

I found that if you don't go both ways then you miss out on some great knife designs. For instance a staunch "tip down" person would never get to experience the great Manix 2, and a staunch "tip up" person would miss out on the Military. I own both of these models and I like both of these models.

And let me add one of my pet peeves- if you happen to like clips one way and you buy a knife with the clip the other way, do not switch the clip unless you are dedicated to keeping and carrying the knife. People buy a knife, switch the clip, put it in the box and don't use it, then later they list it for sale as "new in box". Once you touch one of the screws it is no longer "new in box", most of your potential buyers know this and they will complain about your listing.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd still consider it NIB if the screws aren't scratched. The knife itself hasn't been used.

Either way I've been carrying nothing but my Military the past few days, and boy am I excited for the tip up version whenever it releases. I love just about everything else about this knife but I had having to swing the knife in my grip everytime I want to draw and open it.

So much easier with tip up, because the grip I use to draw the knife has my hand in perfect position to open it. That extra step gets old fast.

The ergonomics sure are something though. I'm reminded why this is the knife that sold me on the brand.
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

Rival22 wrote:

No, the true weirdos are people that put the pocket clip on the inside of their pocket / belt / waistband, and let the knife dangle around on the outside.

I took my kid to the zoo in Columbia SC recently, and many of the workers carried a Leatherman like this. It looks so wrong.
Soulrack

Post by Soulrack »

Moving the clip is no longer NIB. Blast that on my gravestone.

I really like my Siren. It and a few Emerson's are my only tip up knives. Missing out on a few is GOOD for me.
vivi

Post by vivi »

How do you think the factory gets the clip on there in the first place, lol.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

vivi wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:39 pm
So much easier with tip up, because the grip I use to draw the knife has my hand in perfect position to open it. That extra step gets old fast.
Part of the knife sticks out of your pocket- grab that part between thumb and first finger and pull it out. Your thumb will be right next to the opening hole.
With your left hand hold the knife in your pocket where it would be with a tip up clip. Grab the end of the knife and pull it out of your pocket. Your thumb will be on the opposite end of the knife from the hole.
I carry PM2 and Manix 2 interchangeably and have learned how to handle the differences as second nature so it no longer bothers me, I don't even think about it.
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

I normally carry tip up simply because every pocket knife i ever bought before spyderco came that way. I thought it was just the standard and thats how youre supposed to carry it so I got used to it. Then I got my first ever spyderco, pm2, and the tip down default configuration confused me. without even trying it that way I just moved the clip to what was normal for me and carried on with my life. however, this whole post has me rethinking things and maybe I should give fair shake to tip down the way sal intended.

I tried to mimic and and the tip down people have a point, it seems like a more fluid motion in theory. with my military 2 on its way to me as well as the sliverax I am committed to giving tip down a fair chance for at least a week. if it doesnt work i will siwtch back to tip up. if it does work i will probably change the clip on all of my knives. either way I will let you know how it goes. thnx to everyone here who contributed to the convo. you are educating me and getting me out of my comfort zone

no matter what its gonna be a very hard habit to break though
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

Tip up or if it’s not designed for that I tend to remove the clip and just toss the knife in my pocket with a paracord lanyard. One I don’t like the clip placement under my index finger in the tip down position. Two in the tip up position I find that thumb studs/Spyderco holes/bar locks/compression locks are quickly in the correct location for opening.

Soggy bread is the best😜 take a slice of bread butter it thoroughly. Then throw it in the microwave for a few seconds and you have delicious soggy bread. Also soggy bread with brown sugar and cinnamon is the very best. 😃
Last edited by VandymanG on Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Greg

* EDC - - - PM2 - S45VN, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Rockjumper - VG 10, Manix 2 LW - CPM M4

Mules in current use AEB-L and K294
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

VandymanG wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:22 pm

Soggy bread is the best😜 take a slice of bread butter it thoroughly. Then throw it in the microwave wave for a few seconds and you have delicious soggy bread. Also soggy bread with brown sugar and cinnamon is the very best. 😃
okay I gotta know whats up with the wet bread thing.