Spyderco Online Factory Seconds Sale!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
defenestrate

Re: Spyderco Online Factory Seconds Sale!

Post by defenestrate »

I also picked up an SE Aqua Salt (had a PE, this would be a great toss-in-toolbox knife) and a Maxamet PM2 (already have S110V and Cruwear, so this is a fun one at that price).
Spyderwebs

Post by Spyderwebs »

It took from 8am to 130pm PST, refreshing the website on 3 devices constantly after timeout, entered credit card info no less than 8 times. Finally it processed but kicked back that the 15v PM2 was sold out, back to cart, kill the pm2, back to shipping, back to Cc info, stalled there a few more times, then after entering my cc info about 4 more times it finally went through! It's kinda sketchy entering your Cc info, hit purchase, then time out. Did it go? Can I resend?

I found it was better to hit back than refresh. Refresh would only work up until you entered info ime.

Why are there so many checkout screens? Currently 3 or 4. Why not 1? That immediately reduces server queries by 66-75%

I know webtraffic is probably 80x normal today, but this is 100% predictable and they should probably have a good estimate of expected site visits from the first sale, no?

How about next time buying temporary cloud server capacity from AWS or Azure to handle the massive surge load smoothly...

Overall I'm happy, but refreshing for almost 6 hours is rough at best. A server with significantly more capacity is needed for next time. But the deals are worth the headache.

My knives will ease my frustration. Still some good deals available
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Six hours later and the homepage still will not open for me, so, not able to get on the site at all, let alone having an opportunity to look at the sale, or to get stuck checking out. I’m assuming it’s some sort of security flag at this point. If and when I do manage to get in, I’ll check my account to see if it still exists. Not quite sure what to think of this. Hope some people got what they were looking for. I was more interested to see what there was available rather than getting anything per se. I might have bought some stuff, but I’m not terribly disappointed to not get the chance.
Last edited by jwbnyc on Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

It's running better now. I finally placed an order.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

vivi wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:36 pm
Prior to the sale I double checked all my account info to make sure it was up to date.

Finally got to my cart and got this. Called support and they said they can't do anything right now, and that maybe they'll be able to clear my account a few hours from now.

Anyone wanna order a knife for me? Doubt it's ever gonna work for me.

disappointing.
Vivi, logging out and back on cleared mine. Cart contents did not disappear.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Spyderwebs

Post by Spyderwebs »

mb1 wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:37 pm
vivi wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:36 pm
Prior to the sale I double checked all my account info to make sure it was up to date.

Finally got to my cart and got this. Called support and they said they can't do anything right now, and that maybe they'll be able to clear my account a few hours from now.

Anyone wanna order a knife for me? Doubt it's ever gonna work for me.

disappointing.
Vivi, logging out and back on cleared mine. Cart contents did not disappear.
I had this happen last time. My IP is blacklisted for some reason. No VPN.
I looked up my IP integrity score and a random 3rd party website rated it suspicious...? Spydercos checker agrees i guess.

I used my phone and it worked. That's my recommendation
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

ABX2011 wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:32 pm
It's running better now. I finally placed an order.
Nothing really worth buying now is why.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Spyderwebs wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:27 pm
It took from 8am to 130pm PST, refreshing the website on 3 devices constantly after timeout, entered credit card info no less than 8 times. Finally it processed but kicked back that the 15v PM2 was sold out, back to cart, kill the pm2, back to shipping, back to Cc info, stalled there a few more times, then after entering my cc info about 4 more times it finally went through! It's kinda sketchy entering your Cc info, hit purchase, then time out. Did it go? Can I resend?

I found it was better to hit back than refresh. Refresh would only work up until you entered info ime.

Why are there so many checkout screens? Currently 3 or 4. Why not 1? That immediately reduces server queries by 66-75%

I know webtraffic is probably 80x normal today, but this is 100% predictable and they should probably have a good estimate of expected site visits from the first sale, no?

How about next time buying temporary cloud server capacity from AWS or Azure to handle the massive surge load smoothly...

Overall I'm happy, but refreshing for almost 6 hours is rough at best. A server with significantly more capacity is needed for next time. But the deals are worth the headache.

My knives will ease my frustration. Still some good deals available
They said the multiple checkout screens were to make it harder for bots. I do agree they need to do better with their servers going forward, not very professional, poor service to their customers or reflective of how great of a company Spyderco is.

I am happy they do online sales but they need to do better if they keep these up. I know it’s a ton of work and great for us but they are making a lot of money. The only other option would be the trash. The doin person sales but too limited of a pool of people to sell all the seconds they have.

I think they would do better putting seconds up all year long randomly. No huge rush for them and easier for us to just check the site out to see if anything new was up.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Erion929

Post by Erion929 »

Well, I saved about $400 today, LOL…..great sale 👎

If this were any other vendor website, they’d be getting flamed to no end. I guess Spydie fans allow this to repeatedly happen? I mean, some people are “thankful” for Spyderco having this sale regardless, even though most everybody had major issues and many of us never got in to buy anything. Hey, thanks, though! 😂

LeDe

Post by LeDe »

defenestrate wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:18 pm
LeDe wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:09 pm

Still have not been able to log in entirely but saw the product list a few times.
Have not seen the Chef though...if it was there initially, what was the price out of curiosity?

Thanks
63 bucks. Should be another fine knife for the kitchen (I've collected nice pocketknives for years and used cheap/average kitchen knives, working to improv3e that one knife at a time.

EDIT: oops I meant cook's knife, not a spydiechef, though that would be cool and I think I saw some in ma sale a coupla years ago.
Thanks, kinda relieved i did not miss it.
LeDe

Post by LeDe »

Can anyone guess if the Siren would be post CQI?
I seem to recall the earlier version had a severe issue.
ramblinwreck

Post by ramblinwreck »

Surprised the Ayoob’s aren’t gone yet
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Any chance of that items will be added? Missed out on everything but primarily the boxes and the shaman. Had all in my cart at one point (shaman, 2 and 3 knife box) but never could get to check out. Never know might get lucky.
Last edited by WilliamMunny on Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

XjJunky wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:19 pm
What a joke. 6 hours and haven't gotten through once. Luckily I have a hella badass wife who spent 4 hours of here time and got me a mystery box. She even paid for it too. It's been real and fun but definitely not real fun at all. At least I know hat to expect now and I'll just buy full priced knives from now on. Still got a pocket full of cash so stopping by Cabelas on the way home and buying a **** knife.
Yes, awesome wife. Make sure you tell her that tonight!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Thanks for making this available, u/TazKristi + the whole SpyderCrew.

I'd like to apologize on behalf of the frustrated little boys whining about not getting their way this morning.

You guys are the best. I know you'll continue to work on your process, as you always do.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

LeDe wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:02 pm
I have the same question. The price isn’t worth catching a non-cqi with no warranty that can’t be returned.

In other news I can finally get it! Tempted by an ARK, but they’re too expensive with no sheath.
Davidspeed13

Post by Davidspeed13 »

I finally managed to get a few things and complete the checkout process a little after 5pm my time, 4pm Spyderco time. It was pretty picked over by then. I really wish the fixed blades were offered with a sheath. Spyderco’s website was an absolute nightmare today. I really feel for the employees that have to deal with this sale and listen to all of our bellyaching.
LeDe

Post by LeDe »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:16 pm
LeDe wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:02 pm
I have the same question. The price isn’t worth catching a non-cqi with no warranty that can’t be returned.

In other news I can finally get it! Tempted by an ARK, but they’re too expensive with no sheath.
Yeah tempted by an Ark as well, and an Aqua. I could keep the Aqua in the kitchen without a sheath but the Ark would be useless.

Anyway may call it a night now and decide tomorrow morning if still available.

Best all,
ramblinwreck

Post by ramblinwreck »

You can find Aqua sheaths on eBay for $25
Davidspeed13

Post by Davidspeed13 »

p_atrick wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:22 pm
Dumb question, but the info you use to login to the forum is the same you use for the general site, correct? I'm trying to log in for checkout (probably out of stock by now). Either I get a message that the site is unavailable or wrong username or password. Just want to make sure I'm using the correct info.
It’s not necessarily the same. All depends on how you set it up. I have the same password set for both(I know that’s poor security), but somehow set up different usernames and am constantly having to figure out which one is for which.