Finally got my first Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Brad737

Finally got my first Spyderco

Post by Brad737 »

Hello, all.

After an acute case of “knife steel nerdery”, it took awhile for me to decide on which would be my first Spyderco. I decided to get a PM2 in Magnacut. However, as you all know, those aren’t available yet. To tide me over, I went ahead and got the S45VN version with black G10 scales. I kept it stock for about a week and a half. When I saw these titanium scales on Knives Plus, I just had to get them. While I had it apart, I polished the pivot and washers. It was a little bit of a challenge getting the blade centered when I put it back together. But now it flicks open with authority and drops free when I depress the lock. And I have to say, it cuts like a laser. This definitely won’t be my last Spyderco. When the Magnacut PM2 comes out, I’m getting one of those. But I’m also interested in maybe adding a Shaman or Manix. I wish I hadn’t waited so long.
Attachments
43040A94-C142-4E1F-81F7-8FD3AFE09843.jpeg
Last edited by Brad737 on Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
sal

Re: Finally got my first Spyderco

Post by sal »

Hi Brad,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome to the forum!

Nice first Spyderco...with scales definitely not everybody has... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

Very snazzy and fun scales, that's one you don't see every day. Welcome to the addiction! Try not to go into debt before the PM2 Salt is released! ;)
z1r

Post by z1r »

Brad737 wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:53 am
Hello, all.

After an acute case of “knife steel nerdery”, it took awhile for me to decide on which would be my first Spyderco. I decided to get a PM2 in Magnacut. However, as you all know, those aren’t available yet. To tide me over, I went ahead and got the S45VN version with blade G10 scales. I kept it stock for about a week and a half. When I saw these titanium scales on Knives Plus, I just had to get them. While I had it apart, I polished the pivot and washers. It was a little bit of a challenge getting the blade centered when I put it back together. But now it flicks open with authority and drops free when I depress the lock. And I have to say, it cuts like a laser. This definitely won’t be my last Spyderco. When the Magnacut PM2 comes out, I’m getting one of those. But I’m also interested in maybe adding a Shaman or Manix. I wish I hadn’t waited so long.

https://i.imgur.com/E3eskoi.jpg
I like! Congrats!
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

**** that looks pretty slick! welcome to the forum
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
Erion929

Post by Erion929 »

Brad737 wrote:
Hello, all.

After an acute case of “knife steel nerdery”, it took awhile for me to decide on which would be my first Spyderco. I decided to get a PM2 in Magnacut. However, as you all know, those aren’t available yet. To tide me over, I went ahead and got the S45VN version with blade G10 scales. I kept it stock for about a week and a half. When I saw these titanium scales on Knives Plus, I just had to get them. While I had it apart, I polished the pivot and washers. It was a little bit of a challenge getting the blade centered when I put it back together. But now it flicks open with authority and drops free when I depress the lock. And I have to say, it cuts like a laser. This definitely won’t be my last Spyderco. When the Magnacut PM2 comes out, I’m getting one of those. But I’m also interested in maybe adding a Shaman or Manix. I wish I hadn’t waited so long.

Disliked Spyderco esthetics for years. Finally succumbed and got my 1st one….a Manix…about 2 months ago. Promptly bought AWT linerless scales, Flytanium cage, ceramic ball, medium spring, and a titanium clip. It made the action buttery smooth and took my Manix up over $300…but it’s my favorite knife now 👍😎

In the last month, I now have added two PM2 (Cruwear and M4), a Para3 (Maxamet), a Shaman (M4), and another Manix (20CV Exclusive) that was just released.

Dayyum you Spyderco‼️😅

Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Welcome. Pm2 is a fantastic knife. Great choice
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

Brad737 wrote:
Hello, all.

After an acute case of “knife steel nerdery”, it took awhile for me to decide on which would be my first Spyderco. I decided to get a PM2 in Magnacut. However, as you all know, those aren’t available yet. To tide me over, I went ahead and got the S45VN version with black G10 scales. I kept it stock for about a week and a half. When I saw these titanium scales on Knives Plus, I just had to get them. While I had it apart, I polished the pivot and washers. It was a little bit of a challenge getting the blade centered when I put it back together. But now it flicks open with authority and drops free when I depress the lock. And I have to say, it cuts like a laser. This definitely won’t be my last Spyderco. When the Magnacut PM2 comes out, I’m getting one of those. But I’m also interested in maybe adding a Shaman or Manix. I wish I hadn’t waited so long.

Dude! I love those Scales. Thanks for sharing. Welcome aboard
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

Welcome! Pm2 is a beast; I also can’t wait to get the Magnacut version and dress it up with some nice scales.

And man those scales are wicked!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
clinton1

Post by clinton1 »

You made that knife your own! I like it. Welcome aboard!
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

Hi Brad!

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your first Spyderco knife! You have chosen well.

My best advice is to start researching good recipes for Raman Noodles. Sprint and Exclusive drops have a way of eating in to the household budget.

My first PM2 was the CruCarta, and it still gets the most pocket time over my other PM2s.

The Native 5 Salt in Magnacut would be a good way to salve your jones for the magic steel until the PM2 makes it to market. Also, if you like the Native 5 in hand it's a safe bet you'll like the Shaman, Chief, and Lil' Native.

Enjoy!
Brian
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Wow Brad, you don’t play around…awesome scales and a legendary model, welcome aboard 👏👊
mreagan

Post by mreagan »

Brad,

Nice looking knife! Congrats!
Matt

:bug-red-white , Watu, PM2 Crucarta, Shaman, Caribbean, SpydieChef, Ikuchi, Chaparral, Manix 2, Native 5, Siren, Delica 4, Kapara, Manix 2 Maxamet, Raven 2
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Welcome Brad!

S45VN is good stuff. I’ve been enjoying it lately.

If you like the PM2, the Shaman is fairly similar. Heavier, contoured scales, and a nice spear point blade. It’s a great knife to try next.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Welcome to the forum! Hang out for awhile and don't be shy. Well done on the PM2!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

A-10 or P-40 scales. Nice.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Brad737 wrote:
.... But I’m also interested in maybe adding a Shaman or Manix. I wish I hadn’t waited so long.

Assuming that your supercool PM2 is a rather heavy option, and since you´re interested in a Manix, I may recommend getting a Manix 2 LW as an alternative to the PM2.

Not of course should "lightweight" and FRN/FRCP scales be not your cup of tea at all, but otherwise :The basic version of the Manix 2 LW does not cost a ton of money, is a joy to carry for me (light and short in pocket) and the BD1N steel even more so a joy to sharpen - so quick and easy, while still holding a decent edge.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Welcome to the fold Brad737 👍🏻

Those scales look great! Wartstein has a great point about the Manix 2 LW - fantastic knife. If you happen to be looking for something in a similar vein but in the ‘doubles as a short sword’ size range, I can heartily recommend the Manix 2 XL: every time someone pulls out a normal Manix you get the opportunity to break out that classic Crocodile Dundee line “that’s not a knife…THIS is a knife!” with maximum glee 😜
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE