Any Facebook Expert Users Here?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Deacon

Any Facebook Expert Users Here?

Post by The Deacon »

I'm pretty close to being a total dummy when it comes to Facebook. Only ever use the **** thing for my neighborhood HOA's group. Sometime in the last few months, something changed and whenever I'm making a post and type in a word that starts with a capital letter a pop-up, like the one in the example below, appears with a list of people and pages containing some version of that word. Find them most annoying, but have not been able to figure out how to prevent them from appearing. Is there a way and if so, how? Not sure if it matters, since this appears to be a Facebook function, but I'm using Firefox on a Windows 10 desktop PC

Facebook Issue Example.png
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Naperville

Re: Any Facebook Expert Users Here?

Post by Naperville »

I don't use Facebook. It looks like a function of Facebook and it is trying to insert a link from the popup.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Are you sure it's a Facebook setting?

It could be a browser setting. I'd try either Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge, first.

If the error continues while using a different browser, try logging on to Facebook from a different computer or your smartphone. If the error stops then it's a desktop setting.

You can also ask someone who doesn't have this problem to log in to Facebook from your desktop. If it's your Facebook account setting, the other person shouldn't encounter the problem.

Best of luck.
- Richard
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I don't get that, so I suspect Google or something.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

The Deacon wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:02 am
I'm pretty close to being a total dummy when it comes to Facebook. Only ever use the **** thing for my neighborhood HOA's group. Sometime in the last few months, something changed and whenever I'm making a post and type in a word that starts with a capital letter a pop-up, like the one in the example below, appears with a list of people and pages containing some version of that word. Find them most annoying, but have not been able to figure out how to prevent them from appearing. Is there a way and if so, how? Not sure if it matters, since this appears to be a Facebook function, but I'm using Firefox on a Windows 10 desktop PC

I just tried your scenario. As I was typing in the word "When", a list of people that I know with names that have similar spelling popped up and began to reduce in size as I was plinking out the word. Each letter that was typed changed the list as well as reducing the list in size, and finally disappearing after the final letter "N" was keyed.
I have an Apple computer. Not sure if this helps.
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

riclaw wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:02 pm
Are you sure it's a Facebook setting?

As sure as I can possibly be, given that it only happens in Facebook, and entries in the pop-up list are always Facebook pages and users.

riclaw wrote:
It could be a browser setting. I'd try either Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge, first.

Tried both, same result.

riclaw wrote:
If the error continues while using a different browser, try logging on to Facebook from a different computer or your smartphone. If the error stops then it's a desktop setting.

Tried my Win 10 laptop, and a Linux desktop, same result. Don't own a tablet or smartphone, so no way to test on those platforms.

riclaw wrote:
You can also ask someone who doesn't have this problem to log in to Facebook from your desktop. If it's your Facebook account setting, the other person shouldn't encounter the problem.

Best of luck.

Haven't tried that, probably won't. Have had others comfirm they get the same pop-ups but, like me, they have no idea how to turn them off.
Paul
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

The Deacon wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:02 am

You can try this.:
How to turn off those annoying Facebook Post Tab pop-ups
https://www.imore.com/how-turn-those-an ... ab-pop-ups
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hey, Paul!
The feature you're describing is auto-tagging. Facebook tries to automatically tag anyone you mention (person or page), as you type. It narrows down the options as you continue to type. If you continue to type beyond a possible match for a tag, it will drop the tag.

Unfortunately, you can't turn this feature off. The best you can do is stop Facebook (or someone mentioning you by name) from tagging you in a post. Tags are meant to increase engagement.

I hope this helps!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

TazKristi wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:24 pm
Hey, Paul!
The feature you're describing is auto-tagging. Facebook tries to automatically tag anyone you mention (person or page), as you type. It narrows down the options as you continue to type. If you continue to type beyond a possible match for a tag, it will drop the tag.

Unfortunately, you can't turn this feature off. The best you can do is stop Facebook (or someone mentioning you by name) from tagging you in a post. Tags are meant to increase engagement.

I hope this helps!

Kristi

Thanks Kristi! Not what I wanted to hear, but good to know. Guess I'll have to decide whether keeping up on neighborhood intrigue is worth the aggravation.
Paul
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

You might be able to block it with the NoScript extension. https://noscript.net/

It’s worth a try. I used the now classic version for at least a decade before I switched to Brave browser. I see they now have a Chromium edition.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001