Spyderco Online Factory Seconds Sale!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
samdasnake

Re: Spyderco Online Factory Seconds Sale!

Post by samdasnake »

Buddafucco wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:10 am
samdasnake wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:00 am
So is it sold out? The image on the front page doesn't link to anything and the "seconds" category seems to be empty.

Tuesday, July 25, 2023
From 9:00 AM MDT
:winking-tongue
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Good luck to everyone tomorrow!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

SG89 wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:24 pm
Good luck to everyone tomorrow!
Hey stranger! Nice to see you around.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
im25feetup

Post by im25feetup »

Will Spyderco still sharpen a seconds knife?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

im25feetup wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:23 pm
Will Spyderco still sharpen a seconds knife?
Being a 2nds knife, it's the perfect knife to practice on and learn to sharpen yourself!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Took my own advice and lo and behold I cant check out!
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I'm pretty sure Spyderco will not sharpen seconds, and positive they aren't under warranty.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Does anybody know if fixed blades ever come up in the seconds sale? Zoomers for example.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

JoviAl wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:56 pm
Does anybody know if fixed blades ever come up in the seconds sale? Zoomers for example.
Last online sale they had two:

Bow River $21
Mule Team ZDP189 $59
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:19 pm
JoviAl wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:56 pm
Last online sale they had two:

Bow River $21
Mule Team ZDP189 $59
👍🏻 fingers crossed for similar this time around.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

defenestrate wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:57 pm
Kristi,
Always stoked to hear this. I'll probably be educating people on social media as to how to do well in these sales, similarly to the instructions you have posted up for this and Mule sales.

Hopefully the “education” isn’t on how to continue to flip 2nds on EBay for premium grade prices 🙄
[/quote]

You got me, I've been here for 20 years (yes, I slightly predate my 2004 "joined date", there was a previous forum and a migration was performed in 2004, which is why a few of us old schoolers, still around, show as joining then), and I've been flipping knives that whole time. :eye-roll

A little snark for the snark.
I would suspect that I am a larger critic of flippers/scripters than most, occasionally helping folks to thwart them (to spare the question, our Spydiefamily does a fine job of thwarting them as much as is reasonably possible (the VPN filter, for example, is an example of an issue, and one that falls under the tips for buying (yes, Kristi has shared the same thing, which goes to me saying that most of my suggestions are the same as SFO's))).
Last edited by defenestrate on Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:49 pm

If you have any good tips post them here too haha.

If anything I would like some details on the mystery boxes. Cost $100, $200, $500???? How many items per box 3, 4, 5???? Will only knives be in there or other items???? Will Byrd knives be in there or only Spyderco????

If it was $200 or less and had 3-5 Spyderco knives in there I might be up for the risk/reward. Just so many unknowns at this point, I would like to get more details on the boxes before the sale starts so I am not trying to figure it out in a buying panic as the servers get hammered.

Any which way thank you Spyderco for these sales, beyond appreciated.
I am really curious about the mystery boxes as well, will probably buy one as long as it isn't crazy expensive.

As far as tips, and many of these are repeats of what Kristi recommends, do NOT use a VPN, have a couple of browsers open (on a couple of devices can be helpful), create an account before the sale (and be logged in, every click/pageload can take a few minutes or more under the heavy load these sales see, so a couple of pageloads by not being logged in, or I think 3 more pageloads for not being registered, can be a big hit), and to quote Warren Buffet, be “fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful.” - that is to say that if you go after the most hyped, popular models, you stand a strong chance of having your choices be sold before you can get your cart to a checkout, but if you can find things that seem cool but aren't as hyped, you stand an excellent cahnce of getting that stuff.

That's mostly it. Oh, and Be Patient. This will probably go for an hour or more, based on past sales, and anytime during that first hour there could be a lull that lets you get in even if it seems absolutely slammed. Flippers and scripters and the impatient will often give up after 5-15 minutes. Don't be them. You're not them. Get something cool. I landed 5 things in the black fridayish (technically cyber monday) sale, and 17 things in the 2020 "all online" seconds sale. No hacks or goofy stuff, just don't give up as long as things are in stock. If you're busy, check back in 5 minutes, that will likely yield some results in the first hour or possibly more.

I hope that is helpful. these are the main things that have helped me do well on limited online sales since 20+ years ago. The heavy load and timeouts actually work in your favor because if you are getting them, so are other folks, many of whom will give up. Don't give up, you've got a good shot at some cool kit.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:51 pm

Other than watching for knives you'd like to buy to come up sale there's not much education needed. It's actually pretty simple. Watch the sale page and buy what you'd like. From what I've seen in the last two online sales the vast majority of knives people have received have very minor flaws if any.
It is generally fairly simple, and yet load of people lose out and get pretty upset about it. The tips are not involving using some kind of special exploit to get special privilege, but stuff that people who haven't done this sort of thing many times may not know. you can see the general list right above this post, I feel like not everyone is going to know all of that, so I am writing to folks who aren't old hands at this kind of sale.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

apollo wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:33 am
Erion929 wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:28 am

Hopefully the “education” isn’t on how to continue to flip 2nds on EBay for premium grade prices 🙄
Education will not help in that regard. As times are with all the scalpers around this will be a problem for years to come. And not only with spydies but with almost every physical product that is possibly worth it to scalp…
I never bought anything from the states but this time i will try and get a spydie from the second sale.
Just for the experience and to own a “factory second” :squinting-tongue
Well stated. It isn't plausible to just make all flippers/scripters go away, we can make it difficult and make sure they know that we don't appreciate what they're doing. We can also be more patient than they are likely to be, so even if we don't get all the scores we want, we can do well and not be shut out.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Well glad I tried to log in now. Password was not correct and the two reset passwords would not work, so I emailed IT. We will see if I can get it to work before then. Otherwise I'll creat a new account. 🥴
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

A buddy called and wants to ride in the morning. Unless I can log in with my phone and shop while I'm shredding sick gnar, I'll have to miss this one. Thanks, Kristi, for making this happen. All you others are welcome to help yourselves to the great deals that I otherwise would have snapped up. Good luck.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

defenestrate wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:32 pm
You got me, I've been here for 20 years (yes, I slightly predate my 2004 "joined date", there was a previous forum and a migration was performed in 2004, which is why a few of us old schoolers, still around, show as joining then)...

Wow, Mr. Out-The-Window, you predate 2004? That's fantastic, congratulations! I've enjoyed reading your posts over the years. Good luck in tomorrow's seconds sale.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Radman1

Post by Radman1 »

Will there be a link to the sale ?
sshook

Post by sshook »

So stoked to try and get my hands on some stuff today 😁
:bug-white-red proud owner of 5 Spyderco folders and 3 excellent Spyderco kitchen knives :bug-white-red

entry-level knife nerd, modder, and fidgeter

If it isn't purple, I don't want it.
Nerf955

Post by Nerf955 »

Good luck today everyone!