What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Re: What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Post by kennethsime »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:40 pm
Making a spear for spear fishing.
Ok, that’s pretty sick.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Jeff is probably on the tv show Naked and Afraid right now, we just don't know it :rofl
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:40 pm
Making a spear for spear fishing.
Very cool 👏
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:00 am
Jeff is probably on the tv show Naked and Afraid right now, we just don't know it :rofl
🤣🤣🤣
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Shmohawk wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:17 pm
Just cut up some taters and a pomegranate.
Started to patina literally within a few min before I washed the blade :cheap-sunglasses

With the exception of the Dfly Salt SE H2, the Leaf Jumper is hands down my latest favorite Spyderco…the only knife that could possibly outrank it would be a Leaf Jumper Salt, oh and a Rock Jumper SE Salt 😉
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Sliced up some pork tenderloin with the Jumper
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:00 am
🤣 I just saw this. Uh... by contract I am not allowed to say. Let's just say, nature is winning.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Used the Pacific Salt SE H2 to cut these maters of the vine…this beast is Awesome !!!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

vivi

Post by vivi »

Millie broke down a bunch of cardboard, sliced scouring pads up, and split apart yeast packets for a fresh batch of pizza dough.

I put a nice edge on it last time I sharpened it, and S30V has been holding its sharpness well.
:unicorn
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Cobalt Special Mule (#09) to slice a couple of roasts for sandwiches.

Wonderfully-sharp knife that I bought 2nd-hand and was super-easy to bring up to speed - now on kitchen duty for the forseeable future.
RyanY

Post by RyanY »

IMG_2730.jpeg
Halved a small watermelon with my Native 5
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

RyanY wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:19 am
IMG_2730.jpeg
Halved a small watermelon with my Native 5
Honestly, one of the more impressive feats in this thread.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

Very impressive! I didn't believe it at first until I saw the telling indentations. As a near-constant Native 5 user myself, I shall have to try this on the smallest watermelon I can find.
Murphy Slaw

Post by Murphy Slaw »

Literally had to cut a splinter out of my thumb with the Para 3 LW.

It did great, I'll spare you the pictures...
RyanY

Post by RyanY »

Spicy Suplex wrote: Very impressive! I didn't believe it at first until I saw the telling indentations. As a near-constant Native 5 user myself, I shall have to try this on the smallest watermelon I can find.
Thanks! Yeah I actually halved a similar watermelon with a dragonfly once. Mainly the green hard shell is very strong, once you have cut all around that you can pry the halves apart with your hands fairly easily. It isn’t always the cleanest method but I can make my way into a reasonable watermelon with almost any knife I happen to be carrying.

My preferred size is a native/delica paired with a 20CV dragonfly for boxes and non food stuff. I find with a little creativity I can get most any cutting chore done with a native. It’s about the same edge length as my hatchet for example!

(I won’t argue with anyone who says long draw cuts are easier with a police 4, but I don’t like carrying knives that long, and I like the control of a short blade.)
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

RyanY wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:59 pm
Spicy Suplex wrote: Very impressive! I didn't believe it at first until I saw the telling indentations. As a near-constant Native 5 user myself, I shall have to try this on the smallest watermelon I can find.
Thanks! Yeah I actually halved a similar watermelon with a dragonfly once. Mainly the green hard shell is very strong, once you have cut all around that you can pry the halves apart with your hands fairly easily. It isn’t always the cleanest method but I can make my way into a reasonable watermelon with almost any knife I happen to be carrying.

My preferred size is a native/delica paired with a 20CV dragonfly for boxes and non food stuff. I find with a little creativity I can get most any cutting chore done with a native. It’s about the same edge length as my hatchet for example!

(I won’t argue with anyone who says long draw cuts are easier with a police 4, but I don’t like carrying knives that long, and I like the control of a short blade.)
We have similar tastes, you and I! The Dragonfly is another important model for me, probably tied with the Native 5 FRN for most carried. Now I need two watermelons. I do love a knife that punches above its weight (which would be all of them really). My love for the Delica platform has waned a bit, but as long as I keep my thumb on the spine it's still a very comfortable knife for me, either in the linered or Salt 2 version.
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

Cut some weeds that protruded annoyingly into a route I was walking today, and the edge wanted to slip. I got through it with a little consideration but it made me realize my 400 grit to Ultrafine shortcut needs to go. At least for now.

Now the task before me is: learn to get it shaving off the CBN corners.
RyanY

Post by RyanY »

Spicy Suplex wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:02 pm
We have similar tastes, you and I! The Dragonfly is another important model for me, probably tied with the Native 5 FRN for most carried. I do love a knife that punches above its weight (which would be all of them really)... My love for the Delica platform has waned a bit…
Right on! I go back and forth on the native and delica, I just have my REX45 native now, cause I sold my S90V one. I picked up a Maxamet native in the seconds sale though! (A 6 hour investment but I’ll take it haha) I’m really digging my super blue delica and the k390 wharnie delica.

Ergonomically the delica is an extension of my hand and I love the more subtle belly with a lower tip.

However, from a mechanic’s perspective I can’t get over how well executed the native is. The tolerances make it the best backlock out there and it’s dead simple to open, clean and reassemble. That alone makes me choose the native if I think things will be messy. I can disassemble, clean, and reassemble my native in under 5 minutes. The same task with the delica will take me 15-20 minutes. I wish they would do a delica 5 with native style construction and simplicity. Are the salts like that? I’ve never opened one up before.