LeafJumper

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
im25feetup

Re: LeafJumper

Post by im25feetup »

I just got my SE Leafjumper today in K390 from my favorite LKS, GPKnives. I can note a few differences between it and some of the SE Native 5s I have been carrying for the last year or so. First, I noticed in hand that the Leafjumper is thinner in the handle, and has slightly thinner blade stock. I put my Mitutoyo's on the blade and handle to verify when I got home from the LKS, both thinner by a bit. The serrations are less tall, and the scallops are smaller in width individually than the Native 5s I have in Magnacut and LC200N. The serrations themselves have more visible machining marks on the Jeafjumper, and the top of the blade is finished with perpendicular machining marks, which both look great to me.
Overall I think this will be a well used knife for me, and will allow me to try a "smaller" lightweight knife without a finger choil and a little more blade than I have been using. My 2XL hands fit OK on the handle, if it was about an inch longer I could get a full hand grip and still use the thumb ramp comfortably without feeling cramped. Can't ask for more in a "small" knife, looks about perfect for my uses. I wouldn't change a thing.

Thanks Sal and crew. I can appreciate how difficult it is to produce a design and put it out there for people, you folks have a winner in this knife.
Attachments
IMG-2033 (1).png
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Im25feetup,

Welcome to our forum and thanx for your comments. The "Handle Forward" design concept permits one to choke up to the blade without a finger choil.

sal
Matus

Post by Matus »

I know there was a discussion on this, but it was not all that conclusive. Do we have a better idea under what angle are the serrations ground?
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Matus wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:36 pm
I know there was a discussion on this, but it was not all that conclusive. Do we have a better idea under what angle are the serrations ground?
They're 20°, like all the other Seki serrations. It's only the Golden ones that are now sub 15°. However, even at the more obtuse angle, this knife is a better slicer than the Magnacut N5, which is no slouch in that department. The K390 Leafjumper slices through my wife's unsolicited (and unopened) credit card offers like the proverbial hot knife through butter.
Matus

Post by Matus »

dsvirsky wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:42 pm
They're 20°, like all the other Seki serrations. It's only the Golden ones that are now sub 15°. However, even at the more obtuse angle, this knife is a better slicer than the Magnacut N5, which is no slouch in that department. The K390 Leafjumper slices through my wife's unsolicited (and unopened) credit card offers like the proverbial hot knife through butter.
Thank you. The reason I am asking is mainly because of sharpening. My Ayoob SE is definitely past 20 degrees and to drop that angle under 20 is going to take literally ages (and it is 'only' a Cruwear), so I would not have too much motivation to do that with k390.

EDIT: Yes, I am using the CBN rods, but it still feels like trying to cut through a metal bar with a piece of wood.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

No reprofiling needed, 20° hits the edge.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Great, thanks.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Matus wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:27 am
dsvirsky wrote:
Thank you. The reason I am asking is mainly because of sharpening. My Ayoob SE is definitely past 20 degrees and to drop that angle under 20 is going to take literally ages (and it is 'only' a Cruwear), so I would not have too much motivation to do that with k390.

EDIT: Yes, I am using the CBN rods, but it still feels like trying to cut through a metal bar with a piece of wood.
Try propping the one end of the Sharpmaker base up on one of the brass (now aluminum) rods to get the right angle. This worked for me with a Salt 2.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Oh, is that what those rods are for? 🤔
Matus

Post by Matus »

Yeah, I have actually made 'adjustment plates' for the sharpmaker toget to different angles than 15 and 20, but honestly, going past 20 deg on a steel like Cruwear is leaving a lot of performance on the table. Right now I am thinning the knife and will - once thinned - drop the angle om the serrations. But that is going to take a while to accomplish
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

It was very time consuming when I reset the bevel on my Salt 2, and that was H1.
im25feetup

Post by im25feetup »

Matus wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:19 am
Yeah, I have actually made 'adjustment plates' for the sharpmaker toget to different angles than 15 and 20, but honestly, going past 20 deg on a steel like Cruwear is leaving a lot of performance on the table. Right now I am thinning the knife and will - once thinned - drop the angle om the serrations. But that is going to take a while to accomplish
There is a set of Sharpmaker adapters on Thingiverse (free!) that allow for a wide range of angles. It’s sets of adapters from like 20 inclusive to 50, or something like this range. I printed a few sets and the 28 degree seems to work for me. This is a pic of something similar. Easy to find if searching, I printed in both resin and fdm, worked great.
Attachments
IMG_2060.jpeg
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

im25feetup wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:30 am
Matus wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:19 am
There is a set of Sharpmaker adapters on Thingiverse (free!) that allow for a wide range of angles. It’s sets of adapters from like 20 inclusive to 50, or something like this range. I printed a few sets and the 28 degree seems to work for me. This is a pic of something similar. Easy to find if searching, I printed in both resin and fdm, worked great.
Thanks for the heads-up.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Jjsim

Post by Jjsim »

Hello !
one of you who owns the leafjumper (K390 or VG10) was able to measure the fineness of the edge of this spydie?
The K390 leafjumper is really catching my eye at the moment! :woozy
I also asked the question on the topic "behind the edge database" but I also ask you who own one I hope it doesn't bother..
Thank you :hugging-face
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Jjsim wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:16 pm
Hello !
one of you who owns the leafjumper (K390 or VG10) was able to measure the fineness of the edge of this spydie?
The K390 leafjumper is really catching my eye at the moment! :woozy
I also asked the question on the topic "behind the edge database" but I also ask you who own one I hope it doesn't bother..
Thank you :hugging-face
Sal’s Leaf Jumper is so good, I smile just holding mine (the K390 variant).
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
elena86

Post by elena86 »

dsvirsky wrote:
Matus wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:36 pm
Could you give an example ?
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

I just did. ;) It slices through my wife's unsolicited credit card offers with less perceived resistance than when doing so with the Magnacut Native 5.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

To amplify and perhaps provide some useful information, the best slicing SE knives in my collection are the sheepsfoot Caribbean (15°) and the Massa Ayoob (20°). What these two knives have in common are very flat serrations (blade thickness, not pointyness, although that too). Similarly, the small serrations on the K390 knives (and the Stretch 2XL) aren't as tall and deep as the serrations on the Native 5. I suspect that the improved slicing ability of my reprofiled Pacific Salt and Salt 1 is at least as much due to the thinning of their serration profiles, as it is to the reduced bevel angle. I'm kind of testing that idea now by leaving a ~0.5mm (not so micro) bevel at 20° on my serrated H1 Salt 2 Wharncliffe and not finishing the reprofile job.