Dream Salt Knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bemo

Re: Dream Salt Knives

Post by Bemo »

Vivi's recommendation in another thread has turned out to be a great choice. Vivi, thanks for the Toshiro DP recommendation from Chef Knives to Go. That and a petty and I'm set for travel. They also had covers for like $5 a piece. Have a small trip planned in August and will be taking these.

Back on topic: now that I have a Stretch XL, if that's not done in a Salt configuration it would be criminal.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

All of them.
vivi

Post by vivi »

JoviAl wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:13 pm
vivi wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:49 pm
Why not an actual kitchen knife for kitchen knife jobs?
Pretty much what Holysteel said - I can use a folder for other stuff too, but additionally chef’s knives with sheaths seem to be few and far between when I go to shops in random countries. I want one that either folds or sheathes so I don’t get an unpleasant surprise rummaging in my baggage for it and/or shred my clothing. I’ve just seen Cold Steel do a chef’s knife with a sheath, and Spyderco offer blade covers - I just thought about it a bit too last minute to be able to buy any of the above before I fly tomorrow 🤦🏼‍♂️

All of the stockists of Spyderco and Cold Steel in Singapore where I live are Internet only sellers - I can’t even order something and collect from the warehouse. First world problems 😜
Chef knife covers / sheaths are extremely common - they just don't come with the knife itself.

Back around 2009 I bought this 10" victorinox with blade cover. $30 for the knife, $12 for the blade cover. It's my go to travel knife. Sometimes I tape my 4" vic paring knife with kydex sheath to it too.

I get using folders for food prep in a pinch or on a hike, but if I know I'll be away for over a week and plan on doing some cooking, I'm bringing the right tool. Just like if I know I'm doing serious trail clearing, I'm rocking a cold steel kopis machete.
:unicorn
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Chef knife covers / sheaths are extremely common - they just don't come with the knife itself.

Back around 2009 I bought this 10" victorinox with blade cover. $30 for the knife, $12 for the blade cover. It's my go to travel knife. Sometimes I tape my 4" vic paring knife with kydex sheath to it too.

I get using folders for food prep in a pinch or on a hike, but if I know I'll be away for over a week and plan on doing some cooking, I'm bringing the right tool. Just like if I know I'm doing serious trail clearing, I'm rocking a cold steel kopis machete.
Are you perchance a Chef Vivi? I can completely get behind using the right tool for the job. Ironic that I got so blinkered to your simple solution due to my desire to justify acquiring a new folder 😂
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
vivi

Post by vivi »

Yep. My work knife roll has over $1,000 worth of blades :')
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

vivi wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:16 pm
Nice! There’s no substitute for quality tools regardless of profession 👍🏻
- Al

Dream knives -
im25feetup

Post by im25feetup »

A Manix 2, Leafjumper, Enuff 2, Dfly 2 Wharn SE all would be great Salts. I love even having a Salt option, much less a selection of Salt knives. Thank you Spyderco.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

vivi wrote:
Well that’s just a Spydie Chef, a Drunken, and a Subvert!
Urkilnmesmalls

Post by Urkilnmesmalls »

I pray for a Kapara salt all the time. I haven’t tried lc200n but I have several magnacut blades and I find it to behave like a stainless cruwear with perhaps a touch less edge stability. I think it would work well on a Kapara.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:48 pm
vivi wrote:
Well that’s just a Spydie Chef, a Drunken, and a Subvert!
I'm all about japanese blades ;)

Though I also rock thai, swiss and us blades in my roll.

Back on topic, I'd be interested in trying a chef knife in thinly ground LC200N or Magnacut taken to an extra high hardness. Wonder how they'd perform VS aogami super, white #1, etc. in terms of edge stability, edge holding and sharpening response.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bemo wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:12 pm
Vivi's recommendation in another thread has turned out to be a great choice. Vivi, thanks for the Toshiro DP recommendation from Chef Knives to Go. That and a petty and I'm set for travel. They also had covers for like $5 a piece. Have a small trip planned in August and will be taking these.

Back on topic: now that I have a Stretch XL, if that's not done in a Salt configuration it would be criminal.
Glad the tojiro is working out for you! This 8" gyuto I used to slice his and hers filets tonight was my introducting to japanese kitchen knives. It has killer geometry.

This $40 Santoku in VG10 with a western style handle is what I always gift to friends and family that are in need of a nicer knife. It's a work horse that's very thin.....cuts much better than the dull henckels most folks have in their kitchen.

JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

vivi wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:20 pm
Bemo wrote:

Glad the tojiro is working out for you! This 8" gyuto I used to slice his and hers filets tonight was my introducting to japanese kitchen knives. It has killer geometry.

This $40 Santoku in VG10 with a western style handle is what I always gift to friends and family that are in need of a nicer knife. It's a work horse that's very thin.....cuts much better than the dull henckels most folks have in their kitchen.

Have you come across the Creely Omnivore? I don’t need one, but my gosh do I want one!
- Al

Dream knives -
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Thanks Vivi for these glimpses into kitchen knives! I’m definitely interested in a couple nice ones.

We have Wusthof, but they’re not dull! They don’t hold an edge well, though to be fair are subject to typical family kitchen abuse. We have one Henckels, the big chef knife, that I only really use for splitting butternut and acorn squash and the like. That’s hard duty in a fine edge. Otherwise this knife is just really thick at the spine and the little 6” santoku is so much better.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Urkilnmesmalls wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:16 pm
I pray for a Kapara salt all the time. I haven’t tried lc200n but I have several magnacut blades and I find it to behave like a stainless cruwear with perhaps a touch less edge stability. I think it would work well on a Kapara.

If "Kapara Salt" also means (grippy) FRN (and if I may dream a linerlock): Instant buy for me.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Bemo wrote:

Yes! I finally ordered one for my Brother. I'm curious what Vivi's travel Victorinox is.

I'm still fantasizing about a Sage 1 Salt!
vivi

Post by vivi »

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/victor ... 47521.html

slightly cheaper one on ebay

That was my work knife for many years before I got my first knife roll and japanese knives. When I used it at work I taped a SE zcut to the sheath eventually once spyderco released those, and that was my work combo for a couple of years.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Thanks. A while back I picked up the Victorinox set of 3 paring knives - fantastic deal.
Urkilnmesmalls

Post by Urkilnmesmalls »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:49 am
Urkilnmesmalls wrote:
I would love it with frn but I’m quite partial to the compression lock or back lock even. I would still probably buy it with a liner lock but I wouldn’t like it as much and would likely not carry it often.

If "Kapara Salt" also means (grippy) FRN (and if I may dream a linerlock): Instant buy for me.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Urkilnmesmalls wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:18 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Urkilnmesmalls wrote:
I would love it with frn but I’m quite partial to the compression lock or back lock even. I would still probably buy it with a liner lock but I wouldn’t like it as much and would likely not carry it often.
I understand, preferring linerlocks over comp.locks is just personal preference - both are good, both have their distinct pros and cons.

An FRN backlock Kapara would be great indeed, but I don´t think the current Kapara blade AND a backlock would fit in that narrow handle (when the knife is closed)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Urkilnmesmalls

Post by Urkilnmesmalls »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:40 pm
Urkilnmesmalls wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:18 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Urkilnmesmalls wrote:
I understand, preferring linerlocks over comp.locks is just personal preference - both are good, both have their distinct pros and cons.

An FRN backlock Kapara would be great indeed, but I don´t think the current Kapara blade AND a backlock would fit in that narrow handle (when the knife is closed)
That’s probably true, the blade shape and angle in relation to the handle are what really matters most to me with the Kapara. It’s in my top two as far as cutters go. The stretch 2xl is the other in my top two and I have only owned it a week. The Kapara still leads slightly because I like the lower tip. I was just thinking about the stretch 2xl and Kapara combined.