Show your Bugs and Critters

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Re: Show your Bugs and Critters

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

HolySteel wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:37 pm
This little guy has been hanging out in our maple tree lately, but here he is in the walnut tree.

Cool shot 👏
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:23 am
Glad you are dumping Hummingbird shots , our feeders are too far for a shot and they have been working on the Honeysuckle early morning . We still are down from last year top day is four , last year it would be eight to ten . Thanks Salty !
I just wish I could take a photo like Jimmy
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageImageImage Baby Carolina Wrens have left the nest ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Cattle Egrets have a symbiotic commensalism relationship with cattle.
They follow cows around because the cows kick up grasshoppers.
The egrets eat the grasshoppers. This does not help or hurt the cows.
Although in the long run it does leave more grass for the cows to eat.
And with this heat, every blade of grass is critical.

This longhorn, Queen of the Deck, is Parker Brown in color.
The egrets do not have names.

"Parker Brown is a dark brown, almost black color, with a lighter dorsal stripe. It was named after Elmer Parker, the "head cowboy" at the Wichita Refuge for many years as it was one of his favorite colors. There are various shades of red."
https://www.butlertexaslonghorns.com/hi ... attle.html

Sometimes, a cow can be seen lying in the shade
with egrets nearby or even standing on its back.
I like to think that they have become friends.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image House Wren saying hello to me this afternoon.
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image Turkey Buzzards .
Henry David Thoreau
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

That squirrel deliberately teases my dogs
through the plate glass window.

The spiral scar on the tree is from a lightning strike
some years back.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
attila

Post by attila »

I found this copperhead just outside of my garage door last night. I like most snakes but have kids, so I took it to a local “wildlife management area” instead of killing it.
ADA10D7C-434E-492A-B315-BEABB6DB1E11.jpeg
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

So I have a group of 3 families and kids hiking some trails at California National Parks. We stopped for lunch at Sequoia National Park when this guy wanted in on the fun. Yelled at the kids to grab a bag and walk, while I grabbed a large stick and banged it around. We are in his backyard so I understood the miscommunication about who was providing lunch. .

- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

attila wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:16 pm
I found this copperhead just outside of my garage door last night. I like most snakes but have kids, so I took it to a local “wildlife management area” instead of killing it.

ADA10D7C-434E-492A-B315-BEABB6DB1E11.jpeg
They are beautiful and their camo is off the charts effective but their bite isn’t pretty so what you did was the right thing…I’ve seen many while working and you wouldn’t believe how lucky some people are afa not knowing how close they can get to their personal space in and around the house…we usually take them off the property and release in the wild
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

JSumm wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:18 pm
So I have a group of 3 families and kids hiking some trails at California National Parks. We stopped for lunch at Sequoia National Park when this guy wanted in on the fun. Yelled at the kids to grab a bag and walk, while I grabbed a large stick and banged it around. We are in his backyard so I understood the miscommunication about who was providing lunch. .

Wow that bottom picture looks like the bear is got y’all in the front and a jogger behind…well played, look large and make noise…very cool vacation btw, I’d love to see a redwood and a sequoia 👏
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Another sleeping bumblebee…I picked cukes all around him and he never moved
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image I did some research and think this is a Imperial Moth . Correct me if you think otherwise . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image Young Praying Mantis hitching a ride on my boot to other side of driveway . I know another shadow shot ! :zany
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image Turtle out for a swim at Mineral Springs .
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image Mobile Fertilizer Units !
Henry David Thoreau
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Imperial Moth it is.
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:50 pm
Mobile Fertilizer Units !
Cobra Chicken!
- Richard
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

All I know is those bastards will cave in your hood when they decide to take flight across the road in front of you. Then get up, shake it off, and leave the scene. There were witnesses, otherwise I might have pulled over, got out the Fiskars X15, and served the fam roast fertilizer spreader.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Mad Mac wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:48 pm
Imperial Moth it is.
Thank you Mac !
Henry David Thoreau