Fishing

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Mushroom

Re: Fishing

Post by Mushroom »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:19 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:00 pm
Slow day out on the kayak yesterday. Caught a few dinks but nothing too impressive. Last catch of the night was kind of interesting though. Noticed the bass had a fully belly and then noticed two claws sticking out of its throat. :grin-squint It didn’t even finish swallowing the crawfish before biting my lure!

https://i.imgur.com/13wlxcH.jpg
Crawfish is awesome bait…looks like he got greedy and then got caught…I was kayaking down the hooch one day and noticed a fish thrashing up against the bank so I paddled over and it was a trout that had a chunky little bass caught in its throat and idk if it was trying to dislodge it or what…it was eventually gonna attract a striper or largemouth which would have meant game over…so I netted the trout and pulled the partially digested bass out of it’s mouth and it swam away…lucky trout
Funny thing is, I was fishing a Texas rig with a craw style bait for most of the day and then this fish bit a little 1” paddle tail swim bait. Definitely an aggressive eater.

I found a local pond thats relatively remote and it’s a reliable source for catching crawfish. I netted a couple dozen in about five minutes last time I went. Now my nieces want to go catch them with me so we can use them as fishing bait! :grin-squint
-Nick :bug-red
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

HolySteel wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:18 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:07 pm

Thanks for sharing, Scott! Even without the numbers in the net, that still sounds like a really fun trip! I would love to get into doing a hiking/fishing trips like that. That is actually one of the big motivations for me to learn how to fly fish. There are a bunch of “fly fishing only ponds” in the White Mountains in New Hampshire that I want to make a trip out fishing at.

Good luck at the jetty, feel free to report back after!
Thanks for starting this thread. We fished with worms and corks, using backpacking reels. But we both enjoyed it enough that our next trip after the jetties may be fly-fishing. We also have the Yakima River for salmon fishing, and that's his area of expertise.
Of course! My brain works at 49% Spyderco 49% Fishing and 2% Other. So a fishing thread on the Spyderco forum was a perfect combination. :grin-squint

Fly fishing for Salmon sounds like a dream trip! Definitely sounds like something I’d love to try!
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

My brain : 49% Spyderco/49% Fishing/2% Other
🤣🤣🤣
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:35 pm
HolySteel wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

Thanks for sharing, Scott! Even without the numbers in the net, that still sounds like a really fun trip! I would love to get into doing a hiking/fishing trips like that. That is actually one of the big motivations for me to learn how to fly fish. There are a bunch of “fly fishing only ponds” in the White Mountains in New Hampshire that I want to make a trip out fishing at.

Thanks for starting this thread. We fished with worms and corks, using backpacking reels. But we both enjoyed it enough that our next trip after the jetties may be fly-fishing. We also have the Yakima River for salmon fishing, and that's his area of expertise.
Of course! My brain works at 49% Spyderco 49% Fishing and 2% Other. So a fishing thread on the Spyderco forum was a perfect combination. :grin-squint

Fly fishing for Salmon sounds like a dream trip! Definitely sounds like something I’d love to try!
He catches salmon, but he doesn't fly-fish. We've been talking about fly-fishing the Yakima River for salmon, but we'll try to bring someone along the first time, who has experience.

Any time I go fishing it's a dream trip. I could be sitting on a pier with a cane pole.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

HolySteel wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:38 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:35 pm
HolySteel wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

He catches salmon, but he doesn't fly-fish. We've been talking about fly-fishing the Yakima River for salmon, but we'll try to bring someone along the first time, who has experience.

Any time I go fishing it's a dream trip. I could be sitting on a pier with a cane pole.
Born and raised in Yakima, live on the west side now. You ever fly fished the Yakima? One of the best places to fly fish outside of the Yellowstone. 😍 Best of luck to you. I’m heading up to Brewster in a couple more weeks to try to slay some Chinook.
Josh
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

murphjd25 wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:53 pm
Born and raised in Yakima, live on the west side now. You ever fly fished the Yakima? One of the best places to fly fish outside of the Yellowstone. 😍 Best of luck to you. I’m heading up to Brewster in a couple more weeks to try to slay some Chinook.
I have only 'looked' at the Yakima as I drive from Seattle to Colorado each Summer. If we cannot get a trip together I'll at least bring my rod and reel and stop along the way next year.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Couple schoolies from the canal this morning -

With the current moving, these little schoolies are surprisingly strong!

Caught four stripers, all about the same size, and a blue fish that got off the hook right when I got it to the rocks.

Might go back again tomorrow morning. If the full moon currents push enough bait through, it should make for a hot bite. Maybe even something bigger than a schoolie.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Nice!
I've been fishin myself here recently.
Took my daughter, my sister & brother in law last weekend- my sister & I were able to catch a rainbow a piece. Hers is the bigger one 😔
Mine was about 16" & hers was probably 20-22"
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:05 pm

Caught four stripers, all about the same size, and a blue fish that got off the hook right when I got it to the rocks.

Might go back again tomorrow morning. If the full moon currents push enough bait through, it should make for a hot bite. Maybe even something bigger than a schoolie.
S T R I P E R S !!! Let’s Go 👏👊
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:02 pm
Nice!
Took my daughter, my sister & brother in law last weekend- my sister & I were able to catch a rainbow a piece. Hers is the bigger one 😔
Awesome Bows!!! 👏👊
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

MacLaren wrote:
Nice!
Nice fish, Paul!!! That Rainbow your sister caught is probably about the same size as those Stripers i was catching!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:10 pm
Mushroom wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/Gh8zlpC.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/mUbU0tH.jpg

S T R I P E R S !!! Let’s Go 👏👊
Cant get enough of them! :party-face

Pouring rain when I woke up early this morning so i didn't make it back to the canal today. Still plenty of time this weekend to get back down there though.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:22 am
MacLaren wrote:
Nice!
Nice fish, Paul!!! That Rainbow your sister caught is probably about the same size as those Stripers i was catching!
Thanks Nick ☺️
Another good evening in the Blue Ridge
This rainbow was right at 18" - still not nearly as big as the one my sister caught.
I'd like to hook one or 10 of those stripers your catchin Nick 😃
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:20 pm
Thanks Nick ☺️
Another good evening in the Blue Ridge
This rainbow was right at 18" - still not nearly as big as the one my sister caught.
I'd like to hook one or 10 of those stripers your catchin Nick 😃
That’s awesome! I wish there were better opportunities to fish for trout this time of year near me. I could drive a couple hours out to western mass or just north up to New Hampshire or Vermont for some lake trout action but anything nearby would be holdovers that were stocked in the spring.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Biggest striper of the year so far for me! Of course I didn’t have a tape or scale so I couldn’t weigh it or measure it but it really felt like a slot size fish. (28”-31”)

Caught it in the Cape Cod Canal this morning on my new Canal setup.

11ft Shimano Tiralejo rod and Shimano Ultegra Ci4+ 14000 reel! First season using it but I have been loving this combo so far. It’s light weight enough that I can comfortably cast for hours without really needing a break and it’s plenty strong enough to haul in big fish against the current in the canal.

Shimano actually markets this rod and reel pairing as a “Long Cast Concept” which apparently to helps provide longer casts. I think I’m a believer because I’ve been out casting pretty much everyone else fishing near me when using it, it’s impressive.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:10 pm
Biggest striper of the year so far for me! Of course I didn’t have a tape or scale so I couldn’t weigh it or measure it but it really felt like a slot size fish. (28”-31”)

Caught it in the Cape Cod Canal this morning on my new Canal setup.

11ft Shimano Tiralejo rod and Shimano Ultegra Ci4+ 14000 reel! First season using it but I have been loving this combo so far. It’s light weight enough that I can comfortably cast for hours without really needing a break and it’s plenty strong enough to haul in big fish against the current in the canal.

Shimano actually markets this rod and reel pairing as a “Long Cast Concept” which apparently to helps provide longer casts. I think I’m a believer because I’ve been out casting pretty much everyone else fishing near me when using it, it’s impressive.
Wow! It's a brute!! That's some good fishin, Nick!
Lol, nothin went right for me tonight!
I'll swear Nick, I had at least a 22" rainbow break the **** line right as I was about to reach down and get him!! (Piece of chit Zebco!)
But, my daughter was able to get this nice 16" Rainbow
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Nice fish gentleman! Me and my boy limited on Sockeye last weekend. Some of the best eating salmon you can get imho. I’ll get some pics up in a bit!
Josh
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

murphjd25 wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:54 pm
Nice fish gentleman! Me and my boy limited on Sockeye last weekend. Some of the best eating salmon you can get imho. I’ll get some pics up in a bit!
Josh! You lucky devil you! 😃
Come in talkin about sockeye!
I love it man!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:25 pm

Wow! It's a brute!! That's some good fishin, Nick!
Lol, nothin went right for me tonight!
I'll swear Nick, I had at least a 22" rainbow break the **** line right as I was about to reach down and get him!! (Piece of chit Zebco!)
But, my daughter was able to get this nice 16" Rainbow
Dang, I know that feeling all too well! I lost a really nice largemouth at my feet last year when the actual lure I was using cracked in half. I’ve avoided that brands hardbaits ever since.

At least the fam is still catching though! Keep em coming!

murphjd25 wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:54 pm
Sounds like a blast. Excited to see some pics!
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

Mushroom wrote:

I've never caught a striper before. Its on my bucketlist! This is around boston area?? I just checked flights from where I am all the way to boston. Seems like it could be a trip of a lifetime.
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin