Subvert Sprint CF/20CV!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fireman

Re: Subvert Sprint CF/20CV!

Post by Fireman »

Image I like this grip for tip control. Make use of that great belly/chisel tip. Good hold for skinning and the thumb in the hole adds to the control and indexing. A Millie style handle with this blade would be amazing in my book.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

Mine is developing pretty bad lock stick to the point where i almost need two hands to close it when it’s opened with more force. Any suggestions? I’ve opened it a lot of times, made sure lock face was clean, graphite and sharpie only lasts so long…
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

No lock stick on mine. I took off the clip and it feels so much better in the hand. May need a custom sheath that clips on to pocket.
MightyQ

Post by MightyQ »

Heard from Mr. Lynch he got one and will be working on a clip for it that should be ready next month!
Unbrokenchain33

Post by Unbrokenchain33 »

Wow, I have been asking him for years!
MightyQ wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:07 am
Heard from Mr. Lynch he got one and will be working on a clip for it that should be ready next month!
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

MightyQ wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:07 am
Great news. Love his stuff
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I took the scales off and added two thin washers per side under the pivot hardware and the knife feels pretty good. I think this will make the knife carry better as an EDC with the thinner profile. I will try to get some replacement pivot hardware so I can reduce the width and not have to use washers if I like it.

capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

Fireman wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:10 am
No lock stick on mine. I took off the clip and it feels so much better in the hand. May need a custom sheath that clips on to pocket.
https://i.imgur.com/dJcjivm.mp4

Here’s a video of me opening mine 3 times. The third one is the worst. It’s REALLY bad
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

capt.carl wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:54 am
Fireman wrote:

Here’s a video of me opening mine 3 times. The third one is the worst. It’s REALLY bad
Sorry you are having an issue. There are a few fixes you can find on YouTube
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

capt.carl wrote:
Fireman wrote:

I reckon the harder you open the blade (like with a high-energy flick), the deeper the lockbar gets invited into the cutaway on the blade’s tang. The resulting lock-stick, which is early galling (of the softer titanium), will lead, eventually, to a lockup approaching the opposite scale. My Sage2 is at about 95% of the way there.

Have you lubricated the lockface?
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Jbaffoh

Post by Jbaffoh »

Does anyone have any tips for centering the blade? I have been unsuccessful so far, since the scales need to be removed to access the frame screws, and the pivot cannot be tightened without the scales in place.
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:41 am
capt.carl wrote:
Fireman wrote:

I reckon the harder you open the blade (like with a high-energy flick), the deeper the lockbar gets invited into the cutaway on the blade’s tang. The resulting lock-stick, which is early galling (of the softer titanium), will lead, eventually, to a lockup approaching the opposite scale. My Sage2 is at about 95% of the way there.

That makes sense. However it sticks with even a slow roll, and it should be able to handle a thumb flick (no wrist) without sticking that bad.
I thought lube on the lock face was a bad thing for lock stick? Not sure, but i try to keep it clean.
Unfortunately i may have to send this one back to spyderco to see if they can do something about it.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I am digging how much better it carry’s now being thinner. The clip does not get in the way like before. I had to find some shorter screws but it’s working great in its slimmer guise.

Kiteman72

Post by Kiteman72 »

capt.carl wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:45 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
capt.carl wrote:
Fireman wrote:

That makes sense. However it sticks with even a slow roll, and it should be able to handle a thumb flick (no wrist) without sticking that bad.
I thought lube on the lock face was a bad thing for lock stick? Not sure, but i try to keep it clean.
Unfortunately i may have to send this one back to spyderco to see if they can do something about it.
I would return that one to your dealer and exchange it for one without lock stick. You deserve to be satisfied with this knife.

I am totally loving mine, that's for sure, good luck!
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

Kiteman72 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:26 pm
capt.carl wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:
capt.carl wrote:

I would return that one to your dealer and exchange it for one without lock stick. You deserve to be satisfied with this knife.

I think I’ll send it in. I got it from spyderco factory store.
MightyQ

Post by MightyQ »

How flush do the cf scales line up with the liners on the butt of the handle for anyone else? The show scale on mine is flush but lock scale protrudes past the liner a bit. Nothing major but have had nothing but flush lineups on the rest of my Taichung models. Just curious
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Mine is good but I am running without the scales now. The scales are not structural it seems but they hold in the pin but the washers I used hold that in place now. My example has show. To be as perfect as one could hope. It seems that only the ones with minor hiccups get all the press because satisfied customers are like church mice 🐁 😂😂
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Fireman wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:13 pm
I am digging how much better it carry’s now being thinner. The clip does not get in the way like before. I had to find some shorter screws but it’s working great in its slimmer guise.

Oh god no! The horror! I don’t think I’ll ever be able to un-see this. I mean, if you are happy, great but yikes. Maybe this knife just isn’t for you if the thickness bugs you.

Side note: if you want to ditch the washers you could always mod the pivot barrel to be shorter.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

IMG_5641.jpeg
I’m very impressed with the quality and ergonomics. The matching hat is nice too. I’m not sure if I will carry this yet but it’s an outstanding piece.
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

capt.carl wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:47 pm
Kiteman72 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:26 pm
capt.carl wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:

I think I’ll send it in. I got it from spyderco factory store.
As an update, as ive been opening and closing it quite a lot it has been breaking in and the lock stick is a lot better now. I am glad i kept going with the break in. Hopefully the bad stick continues to stay away. This is a pretty much perfect knife other than that experience