Your running knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Re: Your running knife?

Post by ZrowsN1s »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:20 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:55 am
all this talk of self defense while running reminds me of an ask i've made several times. we need a salt version of the black matriarch 2 with a wave. when you are winded, you need a knife that will deploy quickly and take less dexterity and skill to cause damage. that knife was conceptualized for people that had little training to defend themselves effectively. it would make a really great running self defense knife for anyone concerned about that.

spyderco, please make us a salty mother!
I had some intentions on making a dedicated thread about this at some point, and that would probably have been the better approach, but I'll ask here anyways.
I'm not trained in any type of self defense and SD is never a consideration when planning for any activity. Yet I did get myself a Matriarch 2 just to have as a show piece. It's the first time I've ever put my hands on reverse-S blade, and it got me thinking.
As you point out, in line with everything I've read up until now, these reverse S blades are supposedly useful for people with little training, and I wonder how that can be?
Beyond the mean looks, that might cause some potential perpetrators to think twice, it doesn't stand out as an obvious choice for an untrained person like myself.
What I see, through the lens of my untrained eye, is a knife only good for slashing motions, with a blade shape that would transfer very much energy into the opponent in the event that you get a good hit. This is obviously great from the primary perspective of hurting/fending off your opponent, but on the flip side, all this sudden buildup of energy will try to rip the knife out of your hand. Given that an untrained person might not have the greatest grip strength to begin with, and that this sudden opposite force may come as somewhat of a surprise, could easily lead to a dropped knife and a very bad turn of events.
I may be totally wrong about this, but in my view a design that's not constrained to just one mode of attack, with a blade shape (and maybe even edge type) that's more forgiving with regards to snagging, would intuitively be better suited for a beginner/untrained person. Again, just my intuition, no experience to lean on.
Pluses and minuses to everything. The Karahawk makes a good alternative. Same concept of gross motor skill slashing motions being effective, but with the finger ring for retention. The counter to that is those who consider finger rings more of a liability than a benefit. With the thought the ring is a good way to get a broken finger.

I like having a substantial paracord fob on my Matriarch2. It not only helps in drawing from the pocket, but give you a little more to hold onto should your grip slip. Two fingers on the handle and two on the fob isn't ideal, but it's better than two fingers on the handle and two holding nothing.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

LOLOL, so many helpful suggestions. And someone actually got a photo of me during my banana break on a recent jog! To Wartstein: Yes, IWB, but behind the hip. I'd have thought my magnificently shaped buttox would have helped keep the knife in position, but it did not. Matus, reading between the lines, you seem to indicate EITHER lipstick OR suspenders but not both. That's probably a good suggestion, will try just one or the other, and see how it goes.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

bolster, how do your threads always end up here? 🤣
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:02 pm
pacific salt se iwb at all times.
I dont run, but if I did, this would be it. If I needed something lighter I would go with UKPK leaf blade. It is light as a feather. I currently only own the S110V version. I would love to own a magnacut full SE version. Even a H2 full SE would do.
Justin
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:38 am
Bolster wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:29 pm
Or eat more ice cream, obviously. That would tighten up my shorts.
Or get shorts with suspenders.
Both options should give you a charming appearance that I'll expect would have some innate decriminalizing properties.
Would you go with lederhosen, Norrona, or maybe Filson for more chafing?
Matus

Post by Matus »

OK, I just had to test it today. I took the Pacific Salt for a run - carrying it IWB in the back (quick test proved that it would be getting a little in the way in the front). And since it was sitting basically between my running pants and underwear (yeah, I am getting old, I know folks don't wear that anymore when doing sports) I hardly noticed it, there was zero movement to the knife and after 5 minutes I forgot it was there. Neither the size, nor the weight (well, it is a fairly lightweight knife to begin with) was noticeable in any way.

BTW am I the only one around here who is trying to start running in their '40 and finding out that my body is failing me? I made 7km in 45 minutes today, Jesus, that is a long way to go to call it running. My knees barely managed.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

Matus wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:47 am
OK, I just had to test it today. I took the Pacific Salt for a run - carrying it IWB in the back (quick test proved that it would be getting a little in the way in the front). And since it was sitting basically between my running pants and underwear (yeah, I am getting old, I know folks don't wear that anymore when doing sports) I hardly noticed it, there was zero movement to the knife and after 5 minutes I forgot it was there. Neither the size, nor the weight (well, it is a fairly lightweight knife to begin with) was noticeable in any way.

BTW am I the only one around here who is trying to start running in their '40 and finding out that my body is failing me? I made 7km in 45 minutes today, Jesus, that is a long way to go to call it running. My knees barely managed.
50, turning 51 in two weeks. 6'3" 280. Need to run off some weight. Tried to jog (I don't run) like I did when I was younger for the last few weeks and injured my foot. Needed to find seemless underwear to avoid chafing and wearing knee supports. Man getting old sucks, though not as much as the alternative. All that being said, better to do it now, just do it at an appropriate level and remember it only gets harder the longer you wait (and weight lol...), and we don't recover like we did when we were 20.
Matus

Post by Matus »

50, turning 51 in two weeks. 6'3" 280. Need to run off some weight. Tried to jog (I don't run) like I did when I was younger for the last few weeks and injured my foot. Needed to find seemless underwear to avoid chafing and wearing knee supports. Man getting old sucks, though not as much as the alternative. All that being said, better to do it now, just do it at an appropriate level and remember it only gets harder the longer you wait (and weight lol...), and we don't recover like we did when we were 20.
[/quote]

I hear you brother. We keep at it. Plus - however short and slow we run, the beer tastes a lot better after that :winking-tongue
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

Matus wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:59 am
I hear you brother. We keep at it. Plus - however short and slow we run, the beer tastes a lot better after that :winking-tongue
Yes, that is part of the problem.

Oh, yeah, and Pac Salt 2 LC200N
James Y

Post by James Y »

I think it’s great that people run, regardless of age.

Myself, I quit running about 20 years ago. Not because of injury or becoming out of shape. I’ve always exercised/worked out, and I still do. I mainly ran back when I was participating in martial arts competitions. Then for about 6 years after that. Then for various reasons, I stopped running. Mostly lack of motivation; I just didn’t feel like running anymore. I also used to skip rope for 15 minutes straight, doing all the fancy skip rope tricks, and I stopped that, too. At 60 now, age really isn’t a factor for me; I just feel that brisk walking is kinder on the body. I do plenty of other types of exercises, so I’m not worried about it.

I suspect that a lot of what killed my motivation for running is that nowadays, almost everywhere that I used to go running in relative peace is now crammed with people. More than it ever used to be. I would have to drive a ways out just to find a good place to run in peace.

Back on topic, as I mentioned in another post, I used to simply carry an early Delica in my closed hand. It was lightweight and small enough to be hidden while running. Not necessarily for self-defense purposes, but not necessarily NOT, either. Mainly because I liked having a knife on me, and I didn’t feel comfortable with it clipped to my running shorts, or in my pocket, bouncing against my leg. And something like a closed Endura would have been visible in my hand.

There are some people who take up running for the first time in their 70s or 80s, and become quite good at it, considering their ages.

Jim
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Matus wrote:
BTW am I the only one around here who is trying to start running in their '40 ...
bobnikon wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:54 am
50, turning 51 in two weeks...

Puppies, both of you!! Do either of you even shave yet? When I was younger I kind of bounced as I ran. Now it's more like scooting a trashcan full of cement along the sidewalk. Hence the need for lightweight knives...as the years get longer, the ounces get heavier.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
mreagan

Post by mreagan »

I have never run with a knife. Thinking this is a good excuse to pick up a Pacific. Wish they had it in Magnacut!
Last edited by mreagan on Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt

:bug-red-white , Watu, PM2 Crucarta, Shaman, Caribbean, SpydieChef, Ikuchi, Chaparral, Manix 2, Native 5, Siren, Delica 4, Kapara, Manix 2 Maxamet, Raven 2
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Matus wrote:

Due to various work/family/life reasons I'd stopped running regularly & put on more weight than I wanted too. With age 50 looming I ended up making a bet with a friend that if I wasn't back to running 5ks and under 200 lbs, he could shave me bald. Sucked, but I pulled it off. Then Covid came along (I work in healthcare) and work/life got crazier & threw my schedule all off. I'm now coming up on 55, I've kept the weight around 200ish, but I need to get back into my running schedule. Biggest part that sucks as a older runner is how fast you lose it. In my 20s I could skip it for a bit & show up & still run at least a 13 minute 2 mile. **** I can remember in the Army showing up for a Monday morning 3 mile run badly hungover & still clipping along okay. Something like that now would kill me lol.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Halfneck wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:55 pm
. Biggest part that sucks as a older runner is how fast you lose it. In my 20s I could skip it for a bit & show up & still run at least a 13 minute 2 mile. **** I can remember in the Army showing up for a Monday morning 3 mile run badly hungover & still clipping along okay. Something like that now would kill me lol.
Indeed! I had a break of maybe 2-3 weeks (for various reasons) and it felt like starting all over again. And I am small and thin (probably still under 150lb). Running should be 'easy'. Oh well.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Halfneck wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:55 pm
Biggest part that sucks as a older runner is how fast you lose it. In my 20s I could skip it for a bit & show up & still run at least a 13 minute 2 mile. **** I can remember in the Army showing up for a Monday morning 3 mile run badly hungover & still clipping along okay. Something like that now would kill me lol.
Oh yeah. Learned this the hard way in my late thirties.
Suddenly one year I couldn’t just hit the trails hard, with no ramp up, as soon as the snow cleared in the spring. Struggled with hip pain a couple of years afterwards, but luckily it faded away with a stricter and more age appropriate workout routine.
In the years since there have been new and interesting bumps in the road, so the ratio between running and walking has been sliding increasingly towards walking. As well as cross country skiing in the winter. It takes a bit more time to get the blood flowing, but has many of the same benefits and is just more gentle on the body. As a compensating measure I’ve installed a spinning bike in my downstairs living room to get more regular cardio sessions.
Where there’s a will there’s a way :)
Matus

Post by Matus »

I love how we have turned this thread into a support group :grin-sweat
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

From our trail run this morning, felt like we needed some pictures in this thread.

I mostly run for her these days. If I had my druthers, I’d be on the bike. ;)
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:01 pm
I mostly run for her these days. If I had my druthers, I’d be on the bike. ;)

An attractive lady you have.
mreagan

Post by mreagan »

Quick question, for those runners, is an H1 or LC200 or similar a requirement? Would K390 be okay? I don't have any issues with rust on EDC. Looking at either P Salt 2 or an Endura K390. Of course I'd rinse off either after a run, but thinking a 30-ish minute run isn't a long exposure time for a K390. Thoughts, experiences welcome.

Matt
Matt

:bug-red-white , Watu, PM2 Crucarta, Shaman, Caribbean, SpydieChef, Ikuchi, Chaparral, Manix 2, Native 5, Siren, Delica 4, Kapara, Manix 2 Maxamet, Raven 2
Ferruginous

Post by Ferruginous »

mreagan wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:38 pm
Quick question, for those runners, is an H1 or LC200 or similar a requirement? Would K390 be okay? I don't have any issues with rust on EDC. Looking at either P Salt 2 or an Endura K390. Of course I'd rinse off either after a run, but thinking a 30-ish minute run isn't a long exposure time for a K390. Thoughts, experiences welcome.

Matt
I wouldn't say H1 or LC200 is absolutely necessary, but I wouldn't bring anything not stainless and expect it to stay rust-free.

Folded knives, and fixed blades, will accumulate condensation on the side of the knife towards your body.

I wouldn't worry too much with VG-10, S30V, BD1N, or any other "stainless" steel. I have had rust form on every non-stainless knife I've ever carried and used, except for CPM-D2 and some 3V with magic heat treating.

My go-to for hiking is a Para 3 Lightweight in BD1N or an S30V Military. No rust yet, and I live in Florida 4 miles from the ocean.