What you don't like about spyderco knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kontei

Re: What you don't like about spyderco knives?

Post by kontei »

sal wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:56 am
Hi Kontei,

Welcome to our forum.

I would suggest that when it comes to back-locks, you try to keep a "Drafty Brain" (open mind). With what back-locks do you have experience?

sal
Good evening, Sir.
The lock of my Manbug Wharncliffe FRN failed, although I'm not 100% sure that the person who owned it before me may have abused it.

But the more I write the more it may look like spyderco-critism. In fact, it is just my personal view, that I don't like closing a backlock-folder.

Critism/Opinion on a veeeeeeery high level.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

sal wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:56 am
try to keep a "Drafty Brain"

With what back-locks do you have experience?

Yes, the wind blows in one ear and out the other, clearing out the dust and cobwebs.

In the days of old I've used Buck and Case back locks, which I found a bit clunky to operate. I also have a back lock Smith & Wesson knife from the 80's which is downright dreadful. Those experiences pushed me away from the Spyderco back locks. That was until I dove head first onto the REX45 bandwagon, and picked up a Native 5 Sprint, just for laughs. You know what? Spyderco's implementation of the back lock turned out to be REALLY nice. Not only does it function as intended, but it can easily be operated with one hand. I liked it MUCH more than expected. It's right up there with sliced bread, cat's whiskers, and dog's bollocks. Since then, I've bagged an Endura, a couple Police, and a Ladybug. The Stretch 2 XL is on the "to-buy" list for sometime when I'm bored with my current knives. Spyderco Back Lock, for the win!
benben

Post by benben »

That they discontinued the Tim Wegner and won’t make an updated version! That’s pretty much it.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

benben wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:30 pm
That they discontinued the Tim Wegner and won’t make an updated version! That’s pretty much it.
We are obviously in agreement

Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

HolySteel wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:40 pm
benben wrote:

I am also in agreement with that sentiment.

I’m drooling over that Mouse! I love it. Would love an Ocelot in my collection as well. Both. I need them both! :cheap-sunglasses :grin-squint
-Nick :bug-red
RyanAnchors

Post by RyanAnchors »

vandelay wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:17 am
These are some things I wish they'd change about their lineup.
These are all minor complaints. Really only the first 2 would stop me from buying a knife.
  • Lack of chamfering on the inside of the G10 on knives with captured liners. The edges are sharp and dig into my hands. This is the worst on compression lock knives because they don't have a backspacer. This is possible to fix with sanding, but sanding G10 sucks and some models are not easy to disassemble.
  • Fat wharncliffe blades. A few models, like the lil' native and dragonfly, have a really fat wharncliffe blade that makes the closed knife profile a lot bigger (and uglier IMO). We need more PM2 wharncliffe style profiles.
  • Peened lanyard tubes. Disassembly is not easy when these are involved. On the manix, they are part of the structural integrity of the knife too.
  • Shrinking knives doesn't shrink their bladestock. The lil' native and para 3 both seem excessively thick. Seems they're changing this with the new lil' native LW though.
  • The cage lock's cage is shaped in a way that doesn't give you much grip. The manix being hard to unlock seems to be a common complaint and I think this is mostly down to the cage shape. After using it for a while, it stopped bothering me, but it feels like an unnecessary hurdle.
A great thing about spyderco is their CQI process can result in some of these things getting fixed. Riveted manix LWs and red loctite on screws used to be a complaint, but after CQI manix LWs are screwed and they use blue loctite.
They really should CQI the lanyard tubes. I think having a lanyard tube itself is fine (and I like the various tritium and brass plugs and what not your can replace them with), but peening/relying on it for structural integrity has got to go. I like AWT’s aftermarket scales that add another stand-off next to it so you can remove it. Wouldn’t be a super hard solution. I have a couple sets of these scales and YoJimbo aftermarket hardware fits them, so it’s all the same exact screw and stand offs just with an extra set.

My only other gripe is that they don’t sell parts/hardware separately.
RyanAnchors

Post by RyanAnchors »

Cricket Bite wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:00 pm
I like most things Spyderco. The only gripe I have is color scheme. IMHo they have painted themselves into a corner with color schemes tied to a particular steel. I feel this doesn’t allow for much variety. If you like K390 and dont like the blue then you are SOL. I like the green for the salt line but hate the yellow. The Magnacut native is only yellow. Pass. Also as new steels come around will they need to recycle colors or have less desirable color options? Of course this isnt a real problem. Just an annoyance.
I’ve felt that way on some of them, but for the Magnacut Salt, I’ll probably buy it and rit sue the frn or buy the neon green one, blade swap, and sell the leftover remaining knife which I’ve done many times on other models. I have a PacSalt H1 in yellow with a black blade that way and a fully serrated purple Endura
RyanAnchors

Post by RyanAnchors »

I am a diehard Spyderco lover. My favorite knife company by far, even over most custom makers. Literally my only gripe is that they don’t sell hardware/parts separately. Their customer services is great and they will take care of you if you can prove you need a price, but you can’t just buy one without sending in your knife or at least a photo showing you need the part. I would like to be able to buy a G-10 Manix lock backspacer or a Shaman pivot pin and non-lock side liner, for example. One of my Shamans has a problem somewhere in those two parts because I have swapped them off my other Shaman and it solved the blade play issue. But I can’t just buy the $5 pivot pin and fix it easily myself. And it’s likely not enough of an issue to qualify for free warranty service by them, so I just have to live with it or sell it basicslly.
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

They’re addicting.
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
benben

Post by benben »

HolySteel wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:40 pm
benben wrote:

Great collection! I only have a Wegner Jr, I’d love to have an updated full size Wegner in any steel and a slightly larger opening hole.

My Jr. is the knife that started me down this rabbit hole!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Kontei,

Check for lint in the lock well on your Manbug.

sal
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

benben wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:41 am

Great collection! I only have a Wegner Jr, I’d love to have an updated full size Wegner in any steel and a slightly larger opening hole.

My Jr. is the knife that started me down this rabbit hole!
Thanks! Interesting comment on hole size - the smaller hole is a feature I like in the Wegner. That one in the picture has had quite a bit of blade sharpened off of it. The Ocelot is also well-used (not by me) and poorly sharpened by a previous owner, then poorly sharpened by me, as I thought I had figured out how to sharpen serrations from watching a video!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

:thinking You know what I don't like about Spyderco Knives?

:smlling-eyes That I have not gone to the Spyderco Outlet yet

:smlling-eyes That I have not yet had the opportunity to meet Sal, Eric, Mike and the rest of the crew

:smlling-eyes That I have not yet won the Lottery so that I can buy every Spyderco Knife....Lottery rolling over so get yer tickets!

:party-face
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

All the destruction to my back jeans pockets.
Monty

Post by Monty »

Too few serrated options, the Siren for example should have been offered in SE.

Lately the price hikes. There's a lot of competition the pricier Spydercos get.

I'd like to see less exclusives. The PM2 tanto for example should be regular production.
kontei

Post by kontei »

sal wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:31 am
Hi Kontei,

Check for lint in the lock well on your Manbug.

sal
Hello Sir,

it wasn't a problem of lint. The "hammer" of the backlock didn't fit properly in the trough of the blade. I milled some material out with a high precision dremel and the problem was fixed.
kontei

Post by kontei »

double post
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Monty wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:08 pm

THIS. Too few serrated options / versions generally (Manix 2 LW ?!), and, yes, the Siren would have been amazing in SE (and FRN...)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Monty

Post by Monty »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:27 pm
Monty wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:08 pm

THIS. Too few serrated options / versions generally (Manix 2 LW ?!), and, yes, the Siren would have been amazing in SE (and FRN...)
I've always been surprised we never got a serrated Mule Team or two. Hopefully a SE Magnacut Manix is on the way.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I don’t like the annual price hikes. Course, I don’t like my local grocery price hikes either! Cost of living is outpacing my pay.

I also don’t like that Spyderco makes anything in China. I do my best not to buy it, but I’m not sure where else cbn stones could be sourced.

There are enough models most folks should be able to find a Spyderco that works for them, if not find one or several they really love. I don’t like em all, and don’t need to.