Best place to sell some Spyderco’s online

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
abbazaba

Re: Best place to sell some Spyderco’s online

Post by abbazaba »

Bladeforums Exchange is great IMO. I've had less trouble there than Reddit or Ebay. Say what you will about some of the comments in other BF threads, but that's true of everywhere on the internet
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

abbazaba wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:29 am
Bladeforums Exchange is great IMO. I've had less trouble there than Reddit or Ebay. Say what you will about some of the comments in other BF threads, but that's true of everywhere on the internet
I learned my lesson - I buy only - I don't even lurk. But yes, it is true anywhere on the internet.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Just follow the rules on Reddit and you’ll be fine…I’ve made countless posts and only had one or two smart… remarks and I just bit my tongue while others downvoted and slammed em’ for me…it’s not too bad on the knifeswap sub, most everyone is chill…I’m not even joking when I say I’ve sold knives in 5 -10 mins…if you want them sold fast it’s the spot to list imo but you’re not gonna get Evilbay prices
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:02 pm
Just follow the rules on Reddit and you’ll be fine…I’ve made countless posts and only had one or two smart… remarks and I just bit my tongue while others downvoted and slammed em’ for me…it’s not too bad on the knifeswap sub, most everyone is chill…I’m not even joking when I say I’ve sold knives in 5 -10 mins…if you want them sold fast it’s the spot to list imo but you’re not gonna get Evilbay prices
Evilbay prices aren't representative of bottom line for either seller or buyer, as taxes get charged to the customer, and ~13% fees for the seller. As a result, I don't expect to cover costs if selling on ebay. But we'll see - I'll be using ebay, BF and possibly also Reddit. I have about 500 smoking pipes I need to start listing, so I may re-open my internet store and add knives.

Thanks for the Reddit tip - I'll be careful and ignore unwanted 'feedback' :smlling-eyes
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

HolySteel wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:44 pm
SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:02 pm
Evilbay prices aren't representative of bottom line for either seller or buyer, as taxes get charged to the customer, and ~13% fees for the seller. As a result, I don't expect to cover costs if selling on ebay. But we'll see - I'll be using ebay, BF and possibly also Reddit. I have about 500 smoking pipes I need to start listing, so I may re-open my internet store and add knives.

Thanks for the Reddit tip - I'll be careful and ignore unwanted 'feedback' :smlling-eyes
👊👊👊
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

i'd skip ebay, their fees have never been higher, they also charge mandatory tax which is ridiculous for something that was already taxed when originally sold.

how many times it is acceptable to tax the same item over and over? according to the government, an infinite number of times. no thanks.

i haven't tried the reddit page, but have never had an issue in the dozen or so facebook groups. just make sure you deal with someone who has a transaction history, it's pretty easy to verify with a quick search in the groups.
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

HolySteel wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:38 am
RugerNurse wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:30 am
HolySteel wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:27 am
Thanks for asking this question. I need to begin selling and really wanted to avoid BF, so now I'm finally a Reddit member. We'll see how long that lasts.
Don’t go off the knife swap page. It’s a dumpster fire 🔥 🔥🔥
Haha. I've gathered that. This will be my only other social media other than a few discussion forums - which is why I post here quite a bit - I'm highly specialized!
Wait what? Take it back! Spyderco forum is a repository of knife knowledge not social media. 😜 cause I don’t do social media. Sigh ok I do use YouTube but only for…. Crap I do use social media SMH. Is it social media if I use it for learning? I mean I only started reading this thread to find out why on earth anyone would want to sell a knife, see I was seeking educational knowledge. Still don’t know why. Ok I can see selling ones stamped stainless but I usually throw them away when my wife asks me to sharpen them. Any other knives and they’d rust before I could sell them do to my salty tear drops.
Greg

* EDC - - - PM2 - S45VN, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Rockjumper - VG 10, Manix 2 LW - CPM M4

Mules in current use AEB-L and K294
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I used Arizona Custom Knives (AZCK) to sell 1/2 my collection, around $10,000 in knives. They tell you everything up front on the site about what they expect from you before sending the kni(fe|ves) in.

They were fair with me, but I think they take 20% right off the top. Then you may have to buy packaging unless you saved it all; shipping insurance; shipping costs...it all really adds up, but if you've owned the knife for 5+ years and it is rare and in immaculate condition, you can come close to breaking even.

I do not think that I made money. Nope. But I did get rid of the knives and pay down some debt.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Matus

Post by Matus »

Local FB groups worked the best for me so far (I am in Germany and most of the fora are US based and thus not attractive because of shipping costs).
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
RyanAnchors

Post by RyanAnchors »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:44 pm
Honestly, eBay isn't as bad as people make it out to be. I sell a ton on there (some knives, but mostly vintage, antiques, and collectibles) and haven't had any issues with scams or fraud for years. You can typically get more than enough of a premium on eBay over knifeswap or BF to more than make up for the eBay fees. Meaning you still net more than you would from knifeswap or BF because you can sell for a much higher price because you are reaching a much wider audience. Especially if you use their global shipping program. Knife enthusiasts from overseas will pay a premium for a knife they can't get in their country and eBay takes care of all of the international shipping. You just ship to a US based eBay routing center. Its super easy.
That is precisely the reason people like knife_swap though. It is expected to offer at table price or less, unless you yourself paid a premium in which case it’s acceptable to get your money back. I prefer that and I like that it is the only sales platform that allows public feedback, whereas all other forums ban it. I sell stuff for less than I could there and also buy stuff for less than it would cost elsewhere and I feel like that’s all around good karma and works for me.

The only thing that really bothers me are if people buy for the good prices there and then flip for a profit elsewhere, but they usually get caught and permanently banned eventually.
RyanAnchors

Post by RyanAnchors »

RustyIron wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:05 pm
HolySteel wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:10 pm
Is there drama in the Reddit

It depends. If you offer your knives for less than market value, then you'll fit right in. If you offer your knives for what they're selling for elsewhere, they'll swarm on you and peck at your flesh like starving vultures... envious, bitter, starving vultures.

I've found the Spyderco group on Facebook to be more even tempered. There are a lot of Spyderco knives bought and sold there at fair prices. Pretending to be the Spyderco Price Police will get you booted faster than you can say "V15 Sprint."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1626991017561904
steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:44 pm
Honestly, eBay isn't as bad as people make it out to be. I sell a ton on there (some knives, but mostly vintage, antiques, and collectibles) and haven't had any issues with scams or fraud for years. You can typically get more than enough of a premium on eBay over knifeswap or BF to more than make up for the eBay fees. Meaning you still net more than you would from knifeswap or BF because you can sell for a much higher price because you are reaching a much wider audience. Especially if you use their global shipping program. Knife enthusiasts from overseas will pay a premium for a knife they can't get in their country and eBay takes care of all of the international shipping. You just ship to a US based eBay routing center. Its super easy.
That is precisely the reason people like knife_swap though. It is expected to offer at table price or less, unless you yourself paid a premium in which case it’s acceptable to get your money back. I prefer that and I like that it is the only sales platform that allows public feedback, whereas all other forums ban it. I sell stuff for less than I could there and also buy stuff for less than it would cost elsewhere and I feel like that’s all around good karma and works for me.

The only thing that really bothers me are if people buy for the good prices there and then flip for a profit elsewhere, but they usually get caught and permanently banned eventually. If people want to sell at eBay prices, that’s fine by me, but they should stay on eBay. If they normally sell their stuff at a 50% premium and then miss a Sprint/Exclusive drop, they should go buy it at that same premium that they pass onto others. Just my personal opinion.