Best place to sell some Spyderco’s online

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cricket Bite

Best place to sell some Spyderco’s online

Post by Cricket Bite »

I was wondering where the best place to sell some of my Spyderco’s would be. Is the Reddit forum "Spyderco Swap” still active and effective? I used Craigslist previously but things on there are slow and painful. eBay is a ripoff these days IMHO. I have tried previously to post off Facebook but was removed for selling “weapons”. Bladeforums is a cesspool and I not sure I trust that place. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you.
ABX2011

Re: Best place to sell some Spyderco’s online

Post by ABX2011 »

Reddit r/Knife_Swap
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Had good luck on knife swap. Not sure about the state of the subreddit given the drama happening on Reddit. If knife swap is back to normal it is a good place to start.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

IDK about Vivi’s thread but I want to look into it, however I do know about r/knifeswap and if you price them fair it’s awesome…I haven’t been on it but a little over a year and I have purchased a 1/2 dozen or so and sold roughly 25…just be honest and upfront with people and don’t gouge and you’ll be going to the post office the same day…GLWS
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

p_atrick wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:35 am
Had good luck on knife swap. Not sure about the state of the subreddit given the drama happening on Reddit. If knife swap is back to normal it is a good place to start.
It’s back up, the shutdown only lasted like 3 days…I sold 4 this week 👍
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Thanks for asking this question. I need to begin selling and really wanted to avoid BF, so now I'm finally a Reddit member. We'll see how long that lasts.
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

How do you get paid with Reddit? Do they still use PayPal?
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

HolySteel wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:27 am
Thanks for asking this question. I need to begin selling and really wanted to avoid BF, so now I'm finally a Reddit member. We'll see how long that lasts.
Don’t go off the knife swap page. It’s a dumpster fire 🔥 🔥🔥
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

RugerNurse wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:30 am
HolySteel wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:27 am
Don’t go off the knife swap page. It’s a dumpster fire 🔥 🔥🔥
Haha. I've gathered that. This will be my only other social media other than a few discussion forums - which is why I post here quite a bit - I'm highly specialized!
dull&blunt

Post by dull&blunt »

Bladeforums has a BST section but you'll have to spend $30 for the privilege of using that section to sell items It's very active tho.

I've had trouble using KnifSwap. Every time I try to post it claims I'm not active enough on Reddit, despite how much I actually post on Reddit.
Cricket Bite

Post by Cricket Bite »

Thanks for all your responses. I will try the Spyderco Swap first and if no luck then look elsewhere. I will keep this updated on how it goes.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

RugerNurse wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:30 am
How do you get paid with Reddit? Do they still use PayPal?
Yes but once you reach 25 swaps you can use other methods like cash app/Venmo/PayPal isn’t bad if you do friends and family but you’re stuck with goods and services until 25 is reached
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

dull&blunt wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:32 pm
Bladeforums has a BST section but you'll have to spend $30 for the privilege of using that section to sell items It's very active tho.

I've had trouble using KnifSwap. Every time I try to post it claims I'm not active enough on Reddit, despite how much I actually post on Reddit.
Yeah you gotta pay your dues, happened to me too…just go through and upvote/comment on every post on r/spyderco for a week and you’ll build karma points
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Bladeforums is good too, I just haven’t tried it cuz I started with r/knifeswap…need to try Spyderco Swap as I’m sure there’s way less drama than on Reddit
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:19 pm
Bladeforums is good too, I just haven’t tried it cuz I started with r/knifeswap…need to try Spyderco Swap as I’m sure there’s way less drama than on Reddit
Is there drama in the Reddit classifieds? If that's the case I'll stay away - I had planned to begin selling there.

I am trying to get set up in the SpydercoSwap subreddit, but unsure if it's working.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Honestly, eBay isn't as bad as people make it out to be. I sell a ton on there (some knives, but mostly vintage, antiques, and collectibles) and haven't had any issues with scams or fraud for years. You can typically get more than enough of a premium on eBay over knifeswap or BF to more than make up for the eBay fees. Meaning you still net more than you would from knifeswap or BF because you can sell for a much higher price because you are reaching a much wider audience. Especially if you use their global shipping program. Knife enthusiasts from overseas will pay a premium for a knife they can't get in their country and eBay takes care of all of the international shipping. You just ship to a US based eBay routing center. Its super easy.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

HolySteel wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:10 pm
Is there drama in the Reddit

It depends. If you offer your knives for less than market value, then you'll fit right in. If you offer your knives for what they're selling for elsewhere, they'll swarm on you and peck at your flesh like starving vultures... envious, bitter, starving vultures.

I've found the Spyderco group on Facebook to be more even tempered. There are a lot of Spyderco knives bought and sold there at fair prices. Pretending to be the Spyderco Price Police will get you booted faster than you can say "V15 Sprint."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1626991017561904
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:44 pm
I sell a ton on there (some knives, but mostly vintage, antiques, and collectibles)
Got any vintage cast iron skillets? If you have a store on ebay with some buy it now pieces, I'll check it out.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

HolySteel wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:10 pm
Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:19 pm
Is there drama in the Reddit classifieds? If that's the case I'll stay away - I had planned to begin selling there.

I am trying to get set up in the SpydercoSwap subreddit, but unsure if it's working.
Uh yes because it’s Reddit…there are some real jerks in the world…I haven’t had any problems but I sure have seen the vultures in a feeding frenzy…don’t be apprehensive about it tho,just dive in cuz the water’s fine…Bladeforums is more professional it seems and I post there occasionally as do some of the forum members here…Sal chimes in from time to time and you know how he despises drama…just register,ante up for a membership and then go to the Knife Exchange section…then go to For sale by individuals and list your knife 👊
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:22 am
Uh yes because it’s Reddit…there are some real jerks in the world…I haven’t had any problems but I sure have seen the vultures in a feeding frenzy…don’t be apprehensive about it tho,just dive in cuz the water’s fine…Bladeforums is more professional it seems and I post there occasionally as do some of the forum members here…Sal chimes in from time to time and you know how he despises drama…just register,ante up for a membership and then go to the Knife Exchange section…then go to For sale by individuals and list your knife 👊
I paid the $30 a while back, and have been buying knives there - the buy/sell rules seem to eliminate drama. I posted for a while but have stopped - I only talk Spyderco so there is no point. I don't do Facebook for any reason, so that option is out. And if someone gave me grief about my posted knife price, I would let them have it :squinting-tongue as I have very little self-control!!! ... so I guess Reddit is out.

I have had a collectibles business since 2000 and have been selling on ebay since that time. I also had an internet store until last year, but decided to take a break and make retirement more like retirement.