Subvert Sprint CF/20CV!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Giygas

Re: Subvert Sprint CF/20CV!

Post by Giygas »

Fireman wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:05 pm

That’s one of the best parts of the design. I love a stubby belly for its utility. Look at that top down side profile. You see how stout that “Tip” is?! It’s more of a hard use tip design.
The tip is ridiculously thick!

XM24, pm2, Subvert, Large Lionspy
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
18 Spydies, 15 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Great looking knife. I owned the regular version and didn't like the late and sticky lockup.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

ABX2011 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:05 pm
Great looking knife. I owned the regular version and didn't like the late and sticky lockup.
I have an original. The lock-up is late, but anything but sticky. Opening and closing this beast is really a pleasure.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

There really isn’t anything this knife can’t do as an EDC, at least I haven’t found one. What I can tell you it really excels at is spreading condiments in food prep. I use my knives weekly eating bagel and cream cheese on the go and the Subvert always puts a smile on my face when it’s the one in my pocket.

On the other hand, not that the Subvert is a self defense knife, it has one of the best reverse grips of any knife I own. I would even be interested to hear what Mr. Janich has to say on it as well.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

ABX2011 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:05 pm
I owned the regular version and didn't like the late and sticky lockup.

I hope my incoming Sprint Run has none of those issues. I have or had several Spyderco titanium liner & frame locks made in Taiwan without any issues: Southard, Air, Tuff, Brouwer, Techno, K2, Sage2, Mantra2, Slysz Bowie, Stovepipe, etc.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Fireman wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:43 pm
Dazen wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:28 pm
..... I believe this was meant to be carried and used. It’s the wear and tear that tells the story and gives a knife its soul. Would you want your grandfathers Rolex if he never wore it? The answer is yes, but you won’t feel the same connection as if he wore it on the regular.....

I do like the way you think and how you put it into words! :clinking-mugs
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

This is a truly cool knife - and I'd be very interested in trying it out, especially how the slight recurve (also concerning sharpening) and the massive amount of belly towards the tip would work out for me.

Also, as some might know, I am kind of an advocate for more mid to high end linerlock Spydies - and this, as the new "byte" lays out, even is a particularly strong one due to the thick liners.

I know though that in the end I would not carry that knife a lot - just a bit too heavy and I prefer "lower" tips in many folder tasks (achieved by a more pronounced drop of the spine or/and a more negative blade angle).

So the knife guy in me kind of wants one, but the "constantly shreds his trail running shoes and needs new ones as well as ropes etc., wants to buy presents for his little nieces, give a bit for charity, needs to eat...."- guy won't lay down that amount of money.

Kudos though to Spyderco for doing this!! :clapping-hands
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Giygas wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:52 pm
Fireman wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:05 pm

That’s one of the best parts of the design. I love a stubby belly for its utility. Look at that top down side profile. You see how stout that “Tip” is?! It’s more of a hard use tip design.
The tip is ridiculously thick!

XM24, pm2, Subvert, Large Lionspy
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dazen wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:28 pm
On the other hand, not that the Subvert is a self defense knife, it has one of the best reverse grips of any knife I own. I would even be interested to hear what Mr. Janich has to say on it as well.
The Subvert's blade profile and large belly definitely favor cutting, which it does exceptionally well. Its ergonomics also work well in both standard and reverse grips and its blade weight and ball-bearing pivot washers make it very quick and easy to deploy. Personally, I prefer a point that allows a thrust to penetrate thick clothing to access the underlying anatomy. That would be the major challenge with the Subvert's design as a personal-defense tool.

Stay safe,

Mike
Napsterninja

Post by Napsterninja »

I think the Tuff comes close to the thickness of the Subvert. The Mamba blade started out thicker. 😅 Last picture compares to another brand large manual knives.

https://imgur.com/a/fzIqxtb
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Michael Janich wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:07 am
Dazen wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:28 pm
The Subvert's blade profile and large belly definitely favor cutting, which it does exceptionally well. Its ergonomics also work well in both standard and reverse grips and its blade weight and ball-bearing pivot washers make it very quick and easy to deploy. Personally, I prefer a point that allows a thrust to penetrate thick clothing to access the underlying anatomy. That would be the major challenge with the Subvert's design as a personal-defense tool.

Stay safe,

Mike

Thank you for your always valuable feedback! I do always wonder if the knife I carry on any given day is sufficient for self defense when I’m not packing. Your statement clears that up a bit!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

In stock at GP Knives.

https://www.gpknives.com/spyderco-subve ... older.html

https://youtu.be/LHtmyB9FiPs
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Dazen wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:08 pm
So I had my wife do a blind feel test :winking-tongue

She picked the Carbon Fiber one each of the 5 test. I think the CF is indeed more grippy but not by much to warrant a choice between the two.
Man, I cringe when I think of how that test would go at my house: "Honey, could you please test my two $400 knives that have the exact same functionality, and are mainly just really cool? Oh, and if you still want to buy that new pair of shoes, I guess we can afford them."

She would probably look at my stomach and say:
Michael Janich wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:07 am
Personally, I prefer a point that allows a thrust to penetrate thick clothing to access the underlying anatomy.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Very nice beefy folder with top notch quality!

capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

This knife is seriously nice. It’s probably one of the highest quality knives i have handled. It’s gorgeous as well. Im extremely impressed. It’s also one of the most fun knives to open I’ve ever had, and it has greatly acoustics.

One question I have regarding mine: is my lock face normal? Anyone have something similar? The cut out doesn’t go all the way over and im worried it will shorten the longevity of my lock as it wears in. You can see where the lock is hitting now.

RamZar

Post by RamZar »

capt.carl wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:37 am
This knife is seriously nice. It’s probably one of the highest quality knives i have handled. It’s gorgeous as well. Im extremely impressed. It’s also one of the most fun knives to open I’ve ever had, and it has greatly acoustics.

One question I have regarding mine: is my lock face normal? Anyone have something similar? The cut out doesn’t go all the way over and im worried it will shorten the longevity of my lock as it wears in. You can see where the lock is hitting now.

Is that metal being removed, scratches or dirt deposit. I had a little dirt deposit which I cleaned off with a Q-Tip. Also, I open mine gently and make sure there’s no oil on the lock contact.
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

RamZar wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:25 pm
capt.carl wrote:

Is that metal being removed, scratches or dirt deposit. I had a little dirt deposit which I cleaned off with a Q-Tip. Also, I open mine gently and make sure there’s no oil on the lock contact.
If i wipe it, it’s still there, it’s just being polished where contact is being made. Im more concerned with the lock face cut stopping short. But it may be like that on all of them, which is why i am curious what other people’s subverts look like.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

capt.carl wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:57 pm
RamZar wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:25 pm
capt.carl wrote:

If i wipe it, it’s still there, it’s just being polished where contact is being made. Im more concerned with the lock face cut stopping short. But it may be like that on all of them, which is why i am curious what other people’s subverts look like.

Here are similar pictures of mine. Hope that helps...

Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I’ve been trying to stay strong but just caved and ordered one after seeing all of the photos here. I just bought a Les George VECP the other week and told myself it would be my last knife for a while…