Your running knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Your running knife?

Post by Bolster »

What knife do you prefer to carry when you run/jog? I've been carrying a Caly Jr in ZDP (1.9 oz) but it might be time to switch it up.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
ladybug93

Re: Your running knife?

Post by ladybug93 »

pacific salt se iwb at all times.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vivi

Post by vivi »

Light, rust proof, stays shut extremely well, and long enough to hack briars growing across seldomly used trails without poking my hand.

Not sure what others use their running knives for but that's easily my #1 use while trail running. Wouldn't want to try hacking through briars with a Dragonfly.
:unicorn
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Mostly H1 LBHB, sometimes H2 Dfly.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Interested to know whatever you carry, but also interested in options that don't have delica/endura style handles? I know that will limit my choices somewhat but the delica/endura style isn't a good fit for my hand.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I don't run but do plenty of cycling. UKPK Salt for ultimate lightness. Native Salt for something more stout.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

If I'm running in isolated areas of the desert I'll carry a Ladybug. The only thing I would need it for would be first aid related (splinters, etc) if I fell, so anything sharp works, and the smaller the better.
endura3

Post by endura3 »

Light weight, a strong closing bias, and enough corrosion resistance for me to get by. I'll alternatively carry a Salt, but in my climate I don't have much issue with VG-10 rusting outside or from sweat so more often it's just this one. Otherwise (especially if it's really hot), one of the salty cousins:

Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I purchased a Pac Salt for a sailor friend once and it felt good in my hand. Maybe that's my huckleberry. I don't do well with delica/endura handles, is my problem. I'd miss not having a pointed tip but can live without.

UKPK Salt would be a good fit, too. Can live without locking though?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:25 pm
Interested to know whatever you carry, but also interested in options that don't have delica/endura style handles? I know that will limit my choices somewhat but the delica/endura style isn't a good fit for my hand.

Well, first let me say: Vivi has a more than valid point here: Practically speaking there are not much reasons to NOT carry a Pac Salt, at least when trail running (in my case in SE).
Extremely light, carries niceiy iwb, and the long blade and handle make it pretty versatile for a folder.
Since the E4 style handle is not for you, perhaps the E3 style is more so and you could try a Pac Salt 1 (if you still can find one)?

That said, and as a NON Delica/Endura style option: For just having a blade on me, the Chap FRN was my running knife for quite a long time (and still is sometimes, but mostly the Salt 2 SE has been taking its role and place).
Carries extremely well (very thin, and also short for the blade length it offers, still pretty light) and is a great and extremely solidly built pretty hard use performer for its small size.
I never had corrosion issues (just some tiny black spots) with the XHP, even on long, sweaty, rainy, muddy... runs, despite I carry iwb when not using a running vest.

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Skar

Post by Skar »

Para 3 lw.
I don’t run, but that one is very comfortable in the gym.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I got a Hawkbill Dragonfly Salt in the hopes my better half would carry it on her runs as a SD knife. Now it lives in the trail running belt/hip belt we use to run the dog.

Works great, in that it’s:
- Light enough as to go unnoticed
- Rustproof so I’m never worried about if
- Sharp enough to do some serious damage.
- Just big enough for her to get a firm hammer grip on.
- Able to trim branches if need be.

I carry my own dragonfly (or a Bugout) on most bike rides.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I almost always carry Lil Matriarch when running. No particular reason. I’ve got a house key attached to it.

This isn’t really a question with many wrong answers. It just needs to be light enough that it doesn’t bounce around a lot however you’re carrying it. Since you’re running and likely not actually cutting much it doesn’t really matter that much (unless your running route has specific challenges where you need to clear the trail).
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I’d be more concerned about what you expect to need it for, and pick the most suitable solution, rather than focus too much on ergonomics in hand.

I don’t really have a dedicated running knife, but very often it’s the H1 Salt. This one became a little redundant when it was replaced in my SAR-kit in favor of the slightly lighter FFG LC200N Salt, so with no dedicated duties it tends to live in my running kit. It sees a lot of sweat and is often neglected/forgotten among old sweaty running gear so H1 is great for that :)
The knife is hardly ever used on a run, but I like to bring it along - especially when I run with my dog as that opens up the world of possible outcomes to a whole other level.

Self defense isn’t part of the consideration when I pick a knife for running, so I don’t need a big knife and I rather have a sheepsfoot or hawkbill blade shape as to have it more geared towards treating rather than hurting. As vivi already mentioned, light weight and a strong self closing bias are important considerations, I’ve even switched my H1 Salt 2 to tip down as to possibly make it even safer. Even a Salt 2 is more than I’d need on most runs, but I already have it and it checks all the boxes while still being very generic and useful for a wide variety of tasks.

If self defense was a consideration I’d try to run with a Manix 2 LW and see how that works. I haven’t tried a LW yet and I know nothing about self defense, but to be perfectly honest - it is one reason I’ll be buying the M2 LW salt when it’s released. Not because SD is likely to ever be a primary consideration for me, but there are times when it could be a useful secondary application.
The M2 has a very safe grip, great ergonomics in hand, quick deployment, a very solid lock and a robust, pointy blade. Maybe not as ideal and narrowly focused as a Yojimbo, but for an otherwise versatile and all round useful knife, it shouldn’t be too bad.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:45 pm
I purchased a Pac Salt for a sailor friend once and it felt good in my hand. Maybe that's my huckleberry. I don't do well with delica/endura handles, is my problem. I'd miss not having a pointed tip but can live without.

UKPK Salt would be a good fit, too. Can live without locking though?
The Endura handle has never been my favorite, but it never lets me down. I can rattle off 10 folders with more comfortable handles, but the Endura handle still gets the job done for me.

Tip is an easy fix. Did this one by hand, but these days I use a powered sander:

Spyderco makes a lot of good options for this role. Like another use said, think about what you'll use it for and go from there. I trail run in secluded woods so the length of the Pacific is useful for the situation I mentioned. But if picking splinters and cutting med tape is more likely, a dragonfly or ladybug makes a lot of sense.
:unicorn
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Run.....ning. I'm sorry I'm not familiar with this term of which you speak. 😅
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Basically new at this point, unmodified

This morning…look at the handles, I sanded off the points ( big difference in comfort)…didn’t have to do too much on Salt 2 cuz for some reason it didn’t bother me like the Pac Salt did…easy peasy 10 minutes total for both…ultralight in WB, one or the other when I trail run
Last edited by SaltyCaribbeanDfly on Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

Running / long distance running, long distance hiking, and biking are things I do weekly.
99.99% of the time it's gonna be a Pacific Salt / Pacific Salt 2, or Salt / Salt 2 for me. I say 99.99% of the time because, I did carry a UKPK on a run I did at the beginning of last April. That was a sanctioned run on known, state maintained, heavily used trails, so...
I don't think it would be an exaggeration to say I've put something beyond 5K miles on some of mine.

The handles work more than well enough for me, in use and carry.

Like vivi wrote, clearing trails and sleep spots, e.g. cutting vines/branches/saplings/underbrush/ground cover are, by the vast majority, what mine get used for.

While I prefer the PacSalt/PacSalt 2 in hand & use, I have found the Salt/Salt 2 to be adequate, hence why it is usually what is in my pocket/waistband when I'm on trail(s) "going long".
To somewhat reference that - a bit ago now, a friend of mine was kind of "wowing" at how I easily I was cutting down / through up to wrist size branches & saplings with my little Salt 2, saying how it must be the most bad azz, sharpest knife ever... as I casually looked over my shoulder, I mumbled, "it's not necessarily the tool, it's the technique". I do easily prefer the PacSalt/PacSalt 2, but the Salt/Salt2 does actually get it done, for me - so...

u.w.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Before my last neck surgery I use to carry a neck knife while running. My only consideration was in case of a dog attack. I live in a rural area outside the city limits & too many people just let their pets roam free. Numerous times I'd be running in my neighborhood & have dogs start following/chasing me. Only once was it concerning, but I figured I better start carrying something. I thought about a folder, but I didn't like how it felt clipped to my waistband. I also wanted something that would be fast & easy to bring into play when I was tired as ****.

I started with a HAK, but trying to thread 2 fingers through the hole was clumsy & slow. I then started using my Spyderco Spot - much better. Way easier to grab hold of & more forgiving of a bad grip. I later switched to an Emerson LaGriffe because it was slightly smaller & faster to access.

My last times regularly running I use the wellness center at the hospital I work at. Membership is cheap as an employee, no dogs to chase me, and the treadmills are easier on my knees.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:25 pm
sounds like you need a magnacut manix.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C