Taking Apart the St. Nick's Goddard

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HolySteel

Taking Apart the St. Nick's Goddard

Post by HolySteel »

Don't try it.

Mine was very tight and loosening the screws did not help much. I figured I'd take it apart, lube as needed and dye the scales a more intense red. I got both of the screws out, and the lanyard screw out, but then the scales would not come apart at the back - I assume they are glued, as I tried everything I could think of short of breaking the FRN.

So I gave up and tried to put the screws back in - the blade and backlock were somehow now out of sync and would not line up with the screw holes. I eventually managed to get all of the internals to drop out, so now I have a one piece handle and a bunch of parts.

Fortunately it's only a $125 mistake and nothing is actually broken :)
Bolster

Re: Taking Apart the St. Nick's Goddard

Post by Bolster »

I have faith you'll be able to reassemble, but sometimes it's better to wait and try on another day when you're not frazzled. (I discovered this when repairing cameras.) Best of luck. If you are willing to share a photo for your trouble, would be appreciated. Curious what's inside a Goddard.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

HolySteel wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:02 pm
Don't try it.

Mine was very tight and loosening the screws did not help much. I figured I'd take it apart, lube as needed and dye the scales a more intense red. I got both of the screws out, and the lanyard screw out, but then the scales would not come apart at the back - I assume they are glued, as I tried everything I could think of short of breaking the FRN.

So I gave up and tried to put the screws back in - the blade and backlock were somehow now out of sync and would not line up with the screw holes. I eventually managed to get all of the internals to drop out, so now I have a one piece handle and a bunch of parts.

Fortunately it's only a $125 mistake and nothing is actually broken :)
I believe it's all one piece, like an integral.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
18 Spydies, 15 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:13 pm
I have faith you'll be able to reassemble, but sometimes it's better to wait and try on another day when you're not frazzled. (I discovered this when repairing cameras.) Best of luck. If you are willing to share a photo for your trouble, would be appreciated. Curious what's inside a Goddard.
That was my thinking - I put the pieces in a nice little pile and had a beer. I'll take a photo later.

I just took a quick look and it's actually going to be very easy to reassemble. I will go in through the navel and repair the kidneys.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

yeah the scales aint coming apart. its one piece.

I love old school Spyderco goodness!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

prndltech wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:39 pm

Yes. I originally thought that the scales were separate, the internals were added, then the scales glued together. Once I realized it was one-piece, I knew it had to be easy to reassemble. It's just a hole in the back for the spring to go into, then the lock and the blade. Nothing too crazy. The hardest part will be guessing which end of the spring goes in the hole.
Mr_Whiskerz

Post by Mr_Whiskerz »

HolySteel wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:47 pm
prndltech wrote:

Yes. I originally thought that the scales were separate, the internals were added, then the scales glued together. Once I realized it was one-piece, I knew it had to be easy to reassemble. It's just a hole in the back for the spring to go into, then the lock and the blade. Nothing too crazy. The hardest part will be guessing which end of the spring goes in the hole.
If it's like a Delica, it should be super easy. The long part of the spring should go in the backspacer.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Thank you. I just watched a Native 5 disassembly video and it's built the same way. It's tempting to go ahead and put it back together, but I'll dye the handle first (can't call it 'scales' :squinting-tongue )

In retrospect I'm glad I did this, as I learned something. I guess the worst case in a situation like this is that you screw the blade and lockbar in place, then fill the empty areas with resin and you've got a nice fixed blade...and a spare spring.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Does it have any reinforcing or mini liner at the pivot, or only a D-shaped hole in the FRN?
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:48 pm
Does it have any reinforcing or mini liner at the pivot, or only a D-shaped hole in the FRN?
I has a D-shaped hole on one side, two reinforcing black 'washers' (one on each outer side of handle) and two brass washers. I will try to take good pictures as I reassemble.

I had a PM2 once that I could not get apart completely, and had to push those washers in and adjust with a knife blade - hardest part of the reassembly.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

The pieces. Handle has been dyed.

prndltech

Post by prndltech »

So it actually has phosphor bronze washers… I would’ve lost that bet
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Thank you Scott! Informative thread. 👍
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I wonder if it would be easier or more difficult to put the PB washers back in, considering that it can't be taken apart...
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

nerdlock wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:33 pm
I wonder if it would be easier or more difficult to put the PB washers back in, considering that it can't be taken apart...
It was no big deal - you oil the washers and put them on either side of the blade, spread the front of the handle apart then carefully slip the blade in. Of course, it took about ten tries. I had to do the same with a PM2 that I could not get completely apart. All-in-all, that PM2 was more difficult. The hardest thing about this one was that you couldn't put the backspacer pin in and hang the assembly on it; instead, you put the blade in (and pivot screw) then you have to hang the lock on the blade, then press it down against the spring and get the assembly to stay in place while you stick the pin through the backlock. I was about to believe it was impossible when it just happened.

The dye just added a subtle change that I really like.

Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

HolySteel wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:39 pm
The pieces. Handle has been dyed.

What is that Spyderco hiding on the right edge of the picture?
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

That's an Advocate. He's providing quality control.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:56 pm
Thank you Scott! Informative thread. 👍
My pleasure. The original goal was accomplished so no complaints.
Mr_Whiskerz

Post by Mr_Whiskerz »

HolySteel wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:13 pm
The hardest thing about this one was that you couldn't put the backspacer pin in and hang the assembly on it; instead, you put the blade in (and pivot screw) then you have to hang the lock on the blade, then press it down against the spring and get the assembly to stay in place while you stick the pin through the backlock. I was about to believe it was impossible when it just happened.
That's the trick for these backlocks. I rest it against a table or workbench with the blade hanging off the edge when I'm reassembling one.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

HolySteel wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:47 pm
prndltech wrote:

Thanks, Scott, good info.

Might definitely safe some from trying to pry apart the actually one piece "scales"!
(Perhaps including me - It very much looks like I´ll get one of these Goddards :smlling-eyes and I do not have a ton of experience with "old school constructed" FRN Spydies!)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)