St. Nick’s Exclusive red and black Goddard!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
prndltech

Re: St. Nick’s Exclusive red and black Goddard!

Post by prndltech »

HolySteel wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:23 am
SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:33 am
I thought it was the 4th of July 🤣
It's 'Cradle Your Dog' day!
Ain’t lyin’… I’m really looking forward to later when i have a 60lb creature trying to absorb into my skin via osmosis. :eye-roll
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

prndltech wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:39 am
HolySteel wrote:
Ain’t lyin’… I’m really looking forward to later when i have a 60lb creature trying to absorb into my skin via osmosis. :eye-roll
85 pound Coonhound - hides in the closet and only comes out to paw at my leg with sad eyes. He thinks I can fix anything!
Mr_Whiskerz

Post by Mr_Whiskerz »

HolySteel wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:24 am
prndltech wrote:
HolySteel wrote:
85 pound Coonhound - hides in the closet and only comes out to paw at my leg with sad eyes. He thinks I can fix anything!
My lab is a gun dog and DGAF about fireworks, and I'm so thankful.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Mr_Whiskerz wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:29 am
HolySteel wrote:
prndltech wrote:
HolySteel wrote:

My lab is a gun dog and DGAF about fireworks, and I'm so thankful.
I got my B&T Coonhound at <1 year - 3rd or 4th owner. When I adopted him he was wearing an orange hunting collar. He is afraid of loud noises - drop to his belly when a large truck drives by. He had also been beaten on the butt and head - 9 years later he is much better but the first time I patted his butt he fell on his back and screamed. The vet would not tell me who the previous owner was, which was a good idea.
Mr_Whiskerz

Post by Mr_Whiskerz »

HolySteel wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:46 am

I got my B&T Coonhound at <1 year - 3rd or 4th owner. When I adopted him he was wearing an orange hunting collar. He is afraid of loud noises - drop to his belly when a large truck drives by. He had also been beaten on the butt and head - 9 years later he is much better but the first time I patted his butt he fell on his back and screamed. The vet would not tell me who the previous owner was, which was a good idea.
Holy chit, man. I'm glad your dog found a good home and some measure of peace.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Mr_Whiskerz wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am
HolySteel wrote:

Thanks. He's very content and a great buddy, but it hasn't been easy.

I just finished sharpening my new Goddard. It arrived not-so-sharp. But I find CPM 4V to be really fun and easy to sharpen - only used the Spyderco Medium ceramic, then stropped with Gunny Juice 1um. Knife is razor sharp, light as a feather, very tight to open, but drops easily enough to provide the same 'bite' issue as the Siren if not careful (yes, I've watched the videos :smiling-halo ). Overall, I think I'm in love, but I'm a big 4V fan and had no plans to take this one fishing.

If I can figure out how to get the clip off I will give it some Rit red to brighten it up a little.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

One more comment - comparing my ATS 55 Goddard to this St. Nick's, I love the weight distribution on the St. Nick's. The ATS 55 was too front-heavy IMO. I've really become an FRN fan lately - very practical material and cheaper is always great.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

HolySteel wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:07 pm
One more comment - comparing my ATS 55 Goddard to this St. Nick's, I love the weight distribution on the St. Nick's. The ATS 55 was too front-heavy IMO. I've really become an FRN fan lately - very practical material and cheaper is always great.
Lighter FFG blade I assume?
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

HolySteel wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:09 pm
Mr_Whiskerz wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am
HolySteel wrote:

Thanks. He's very content and a great buddy, but it hasn't been easy.

I just finished sharpening my new Goddard. It arrived not-so-sharp. But I find CPM 4V to be really fun and easy to sharpen - only used the Spyderco Medium ceramic, then stropped with Gunny Juice 1um. Knife is razor sharp, light as a feather, very tight to open, but drops easily enough to provide the same 'bite' issue as the Siren if not careful (yes, I've watched the videos :smiling-halo ). Overall, I think I'm in love, but I'm a big 4V fan and had no plans to take this one fishing.

If I can figure out how to get the clip off I will give it some Rit red to brighten it up a little.
The clip comes off easy. Just insert a dime in the t cross of the clip screw and turn.

One of mine also arrived not so sharp. Wouldn't cut magazine paper without tearing. Lazy effort out of Seki but not surprising after seeing my DLT Cruwear Endela with the most uneven edge grind in the history of gas station knives.

Too much sake in Seki I guess
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:44 pm
HolySteel wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:07 pm
Lighter FFG blade I assume?
Yes.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:57 pm
mikey177 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:45 pm
Bolster wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:23 pm
Any chance of a Goddard with Nat Chief photo?
These are from Vic Wu in the Spyderco Millie PM2 Para 3 FB group

Ask, and ye shall receive! Thank you!

So the Goddard has about the same length handle as a Nat Chief and a little shorter blade, 3.7" to 4.0", though edge more similar at 3.4" to 3.5". Goddard is a little lighter at 2.9 oz cf the LW Nat Chief (seen in Reveal 13) at 3.1 oz.

The Goddard and the LW Nat Chief seem like rivals; both with thin, pointy blades, similar lengths and weights. Agree? Disagree?
Agree and disagree. Similar in that they’re both folders of the similar size so they will cut in preform in somewhat of the same class, but I think biggest difference is that the Goddard optimizes some uses a bit differently than the chief, and that mostly comes down to their blade shapes, from my perspective the native chief optimizes its versatility to be a little bit more of a general use edc blade, great for general use utility cutting, a good food processor and even as a tool of personal self defense. While the goddards blade profile has a bit more of a folding hunting knife vibe going for it. I’d the say the stretch 2 xl is more of a closer rival function-wise. But those are just my thoughts
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Only 90 left in stock. A good number of folks have been posting photos of the SNK Goddard on social media, which no doubt boosted sales.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

HolySteel wrote:
prndltech wrote:
HolySteel wrote:
140 female Great Dane-hides under the bed…180 lb male-barks incessantly which is nearly as loud as a mortar…Solving the problem? Vet gave us Alprazolam (doggie Xanax)…only administer on the 4th and New Year’s Eve
Mr_Whiskerz

Post by Mr_Whiskerz »

Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:41 am
Vet gave us Alprazolam (doggie Xanax)…only administer on the 4th and New Year’s Eve
That's actual Xanax though :)
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Rival22:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Guts

Post by Guts »

Decided to make a wire clip adapter for the Goddard just cuz. Still need to adjust a few things and the clip obviously doesn't reach the flat spot on the handle, but I've always liked how much easier knives slide into the pocket with the wire clip. Not to mention, the texturing on the Goddard isn't as aggressive as the newer bi-directional stuff so probably won't tear up my pocket (as much ;) )

:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Guts wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:37 am
Decided to make a wire clip adapter for the Goddard just cuz. Still need to adjust a few things and the clip obviously doesn't reach the flat spot on the handle, but I've always liked how much easier knives slide into the pocket with the wire clip. Not to mention, the texturing on the Goddard isn't as aggressive as the newer bi-directional stuff so probably won't tear up my pocket (as much ;) )

I'm blown away!

You *made* that clip adapter? Phenomenal !!

Either sell me one or tell me how to make my own!!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Guts is skilled with his clip adapters!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Guts

Post by Guts »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:29 am
Guts wrote:

I'm blown away!

I know a tiny bit of 3D modeling and 3D printed it :smlling-eyes. I've made similar things for the Native 5 and Lil Temp 3 and posted about it here a while back. It's not nearly as impressive as some of the mods I've seen some people on here do. Still tweaking the design on this one and may change out the hardware, but that was the test run.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Guts wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:03 am
Bolster wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:29 am
Guts wrote:
I'm blown away!

I know a tiny bit of 3D modeling and 3D printed it :smlling-eyes. I've made similar things for the Native 5 and Lil Temp 3 and posted about it here a while back. It's not nearly as impressive as some of the mods I've seen some people on here do. Still tweaking the design on this one and may change out the hardware, but that was the test run.

Beg to differ...that's a remarkable creation! And useful. I agree that the wire clips are sine qua non. I must have missed your Native and Temp conversions, first I've seen it. Well done, man. I would like to machine a clip converter from aluminum but I think it's too small (for someone with my skill level) to do on a mill. Well done, strong work. LMK if you decide to sell any. My main reservation about purchasing the Goddard was the proud clip placement. Would like to go 'pocket-low' if possible.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189