What are your favorite large spyderco folders?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which two large folders do you prefer?

Endura
11%
Native Chief
16%
Military
24%
Stretch 2 XL
12%
Police
14%
Paramilitary
4%
Shaman
7%
Other (please specify)
13%

Total votes: 180

HolySteel

Re: What are your favorite large spyderco folders?

Post by HolySteel »

Serrated Caribbean and SuperLeaf.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Military for 20+ years, displaced last year by the Shaman S30V, which is going move over for the 15V sprint soon.
toomanyquestions

Post by toomanyquestions »

jwbnyc wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:55 pm
Neither the Shaman or the PM2 are large knives to me. The Shaman is a little heavy duty, with a good size handle, but the blade is not overly long. The PM2 is straight up mid-sized.
I was trying to be size consistent: I wanted the Stretch 2 XL on the list and realized paramilitary was of similar size. ;)
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Gotcha.

The Stretch 2 XL is a bit of an anomaly. It has a good-sized blade but the handle is shorter than it has any right to be given the size of the blade. It’s sort of a medium-sized big knife. The big knives on that list are the Native Chief, Police4, and Military imo.
dull&blunt

Post by dull&blunt »

Lil Native :P

Really tho, hard to beat a Military It's impossible to beat when weight is considered IMO
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

I voted for the police (P4LWK390 for the win ^^) and the Stretch 2 XL though I don't own the latter, waiting for better steel.

I handled the current Military and it didn't wow me for some reason. But from the changes I hope the Mili 2 will fix most of the issues.

The Endura has a thicker and shorter blade and no usable finger choild (but it has A choil still) which are all negatives to me.

PM2 is way too short, Shaman is even shorter yet thicker, so a double no-no.

Still hoping to get an interesting Native Chief version (the LW SPY27 probably), as it seems like a great blade. But I haven't held the knife, so can't vote for it
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

horzuff wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:56 am
I voted for the police (P4LWK390 for the win ^^) and the Stretch 2 XL though I don't own the latter, waiting for better steel.

I handled the current Military and it didn't wow me for some reason. But from the changes I hope the Mili 2 will fix most of the issues.

The Endura has a thicker and shorter blade and no usable finger choild (but it has A choil still) which are all negatives to me.

PM2 is way too short, Shaman is even shorter yet thicker, so a double no-no.

Still hoping to get an interesting Native Chief version (the LW SPY27 probably), as it seems like a great blade. But I haven't held the knife, so can't vote for it

Actually the blade stock of the Endura is thinner than the Millie and Chief stock (and as thin as the Stretch XLs).

The (ffg) Endura also tapers nicely and has to me a thin and slicey blade (with luckily a just a bit stronger tip).

Totally subjective od course and often discussed already: But for me that Endura ricasso actually offers a great spot to choke up on , better than on many dedicated finger choils.

Just my 2 c of course.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Matus

Post by Matus »

The list of knives only mentions those models with a finger choil or a large ricasso. I have not used all of them. From those I did I do like the PM2 (though that is not a large pocket knife) and I am OK with Endura (I have the Pacific Salt 2 in H1). I did not enjoy the shape of G10 Chief handle in my hand, but the knife as such was superb (Rex45). I would really like to try the Stretch XL. I guess I need to visit some proper knife shop to get the feel of it.

In my eyes with large knives the handle is already long enough even for large hands that it does not really gain much from a finger choil. Smaller knvies profit a lot more from this.

Large knvies I like(ed) are:
- Caribbean - the handle could be a little more rounded, but other than that a perfect knife. Sold to a friend.
- Schemp Bowie - I know, I like to repeat myself, but I love it
- Ayoob in Cruwear - love the blade, have accepted the for me too thin handle (is fine with work gloves on).
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Matus wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:39 am
... I would really like to try the Stretch XL. I guess I need to visit some proper knife shop to get the feel of it.

If you don´t find "a proper knife shop to get the feel of it": I can lend you my Stretch XL SE for trying it out, no problem to send it from Austria over to you in Germany and you put it through its paces for a month or whatever before sending it back,

Just pm me in case .
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:52 am
horzuff wrote:
Actually the blade stock of the Endura is thinner than the Millie and Chief stock (and as thin as the Stretch XLs).

The (ffg) Endura also tapers nicely and has to me a thin and slicey blade (with luckily a just a bit stronger tip).
Aye, it was both a mistake and a mental shortcut. I thought Endura was thicker than P4LW and S2XLLW (that's the mistake) and I was comparing it to those (that's the shortcut, forgot to include it in the sentence though :spiral-eyes ).

I had an Endura 4 FFG for quite a while, it was my first knife with a steel above 8Cr etc, way back when the colorful FFGs premiered. I loved it then, but much prefer the P4LW to it. I'll also get the S2XLLW as soon as any other steel appears in the lineup but I don't see myself going back to the Endura unless somethin really unique is stuffed into the design (performance Endura?)
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

Rescue Jr., it has served me well 15 plus years, could be 20 but not sure.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:13 am
Matus wrote:
... I would really like to try the Stretch XL. I guess I need to visit some proper knife shop to get the feel of it.

If you don´t find "a proper knife shop to get the feel of it": I can lend you my Stretch XL SE for trying it out, no problem to send it from Austria over to you in Germany and you put it through its paces for a month or whatever before sending it back,

Just pm me in case .
That is super kind of you, thank you for the offer! We are rather soon leaving for a vacation, so maybe I would follow up on your offer in September if that is OK. Thanks again.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Wartstein wrote:
Just pm me in case .
If only you actually used your PMs..
;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:57 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Just pm me in case .
If only you actually used your PMs..
;)

:thinking ... did I miss one (again, would not be the first time)?
If so, my apologies!
Though I just went through all the pms I still have and don´t think so.

[Edit: I´ll pm you that very question, so we don´t have to go off topic further)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Matus wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:25 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Matus wrote:

Just pm me in case .
That is super kind of you, thank you for the offer! We are rather soon leaving for a vacation, so maybe I would follow up on your offer in September if that is OK. Thanks again.

Anytime!

I´d be honored if I could give you the opportunity to really try that great model - I am still so glad and thankful that "The Giant" gifted it to me.

The Stretch XL is (and that´s on topic again) constantly "fighting" with the Endura for the rank of not only my favorite large folder but generally best EDC folder overall.

May sound weird, but I think if I could only own one single folder overall it would still be the Endura - but having both I carry the Stretch XL more often.

The lighter weight and very acute and useful tip are points that speak for the XL in most EDC scenarios.

But if I could only have ONE folder for every task that might occur I´d still prefer the a bit "heftier" built and feel of the Endura and its a bit more robust tip.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

horzuff wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:00 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:52 am
horzuff wrote:

Aye, it was both a mistake and a mental shortcut. I thought Endura was thicker than P4LW and S2XLLW (that's the mistake) and I was comparing it to those (that's the shortcut, forgot to include it in the sentence though :spiral-eyes ).

I had an Endura 4 FFG for quite a while, it was my first knife with a steel above 8Cr etc, way back when the colorful FFGs premiered. I loved it then, but much prefer the P4LW to it. I'll also get the S2XLLW as soon as any other steel appears in the lineup but I don't see myself going back to the Endura unless somethin really unique is stuffed into the design (performance Endura?)

Yes, the Endura actually has the same blade stock thickness (3mm) as Stretch XL and Police 4.

But you might actually very well be right in that especially the Police blade actually gets or "feels" thinner due to more tapering that should be going on on that longer blade!

Perhaps that´s the case even with the Stretch XL compared to the Endura, I´d have to check (I don´t own a Police, so I can´t check with that one. But yes, it must be a great folder, in use I might prefer it (the LW) over the Endura too!! It is just a bit long in carry for my taste).

As for the Stretch 2 LW: Let me repeat what I usually say: Instead of waiting for another steel this might be a great opportunity for trying SE - VG 10 is decent in PE, but great in SE imo and on top the XL happens to have a very nice and "non aggressive" serration pattern - gives one the (imo) "better PE" feel.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Manix XL.

And if you're counting the PM2 as 'large' then the regular Manix, as well.
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:13 pm
As for the Stretch 2 LW: Let me repeat what I usually say: Instead of waiting for another steel this might be a great opportunity for trying SE - VG 10 is decent in PE, but great in SE imo and on top the XL happens to have a very nice and "non aggressive" serration pattern - gives one the (imo) "better PE" feel.
I think I'm gonna cave soon and do just that ^^. Although an SE Police 4 LW K390 is also tempting (and I'd have a set ^^), nearly twice the price though.
toomanyquestions

Post by toomanyquestions »

I am getting the impression I included too many "mid-sized" knives. ;)

I really like what I have been reading about the Stretch 2 XL, and the Chief; I had a dealer exclusive Endura but I seem to have have misplaced it. I loved how it carried given its blade size. After some thought I concluded its slimness and low profile (when closed) helped it carry nicely.

I have heretofore been leaning "Chief" (for my big spyderco) - due to what I perceive to be its carry characteristics and blade shape; I wish it had the Boye dent (I find it useful for indexing during a one-hand close exercise).

Let's keep this thread going - it has been informative!
vivi

Post by vivi »

toomanyquestions wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:12 pm
I am getting the impression I included too many "mid-sized" knives. ;)
Yeah, the Endura / Pacific Salt is literally the smallest knife I carry.

I guess hand size plays a big role in perspective. My list of large spydies is Szabo folderz Tatanka, K2, Police and Military.

Even the Manix XL has a pretty short blade for me to want to consider it large.
:unicorn