Spyderco Native Salt Magnacut Scale Construction vs Non Salt

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Humint

Spyderco Native Salt Magnacut Scale Construction vs Non Salt

Post by Humint »

Hello,

I just purchased and received a Spyderco Native Salt in Magnacut and a Spyderco Native 5 Lightweight in SPY27. I purchased both as the N5LW is one of my favorite EDC knives. I am excited to try Spyderco's treatment of Magnacut (I already have CRKs in Magnacut). The reason I bought both is a did I scale swap between the SPY27 and the Magnacut (I am just not a fan of the yellow for EDC carry - Sorry Sal :grin-sweat ). I noticed when I switched the scales (and all hardware with the exception of the recessed screw threads) that the recessed screw threads in the scales are a different color/hue on the Magnacut yellow scales than the recessed screw threads in the Spy27 cobalt blue scales. This leads me to believe, these may be made from different metals. The Magnacut's recessed screw threads are more gold while the SPY27 recessed screw threads are more silver. Does anyone know if the metals of the recessed screw threads are different? I am worried that by switching the scales, if the thread materials are different, I have now lost out on the more stainless properties. Note; I have rusted out Delica and Endura VG-10 models. Hence my love for Salt models.

On a side note, the yellow scales definetly have a more matte texture to them (feels very nice) compared to the more smooth/glossy texture on the SPY27 model

Second side note, I am not a fan of Rit-Dye so the scale swap was the original intent all along

EDIT: Below pictures showing the different color threads
Native.JPG
Native2.jpg
Last edited by Humint on Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
weeping minora

Re: Spyderco Native Salt Magnacut Scale Construction vs Non Salt

Post by weeping minora »

Humint wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:31 am
Hello,

I just purchased and received a Spyderco Native Salt in Magnacut and a Spyderco Native 5 Lightweight in SPY27. I purchased both as the N5LW is one of my favorite EDC knives. I am excited to try Spyderco's treatment of Magnacut (I already have CRKs in Magnacut). The reason I bought both is a did I scale swap between the SPY27 and the Magnacut (I am just not a fan of the yellow for EDC carry - Sorry Sal :grin-sweat ). I noticed when I switched the scales (and hardware) that the recessed screw threads in the scales are a different color/hue on the Magnacut yellow scales than the recessed screw threads in the Spy27 cobalt blue scales. The yellow scale's recessed screw threads are more gold while the cobalt blue scale's recessed screw threads are more silver. Does anyone know if the metals are different? I am worried that switching the scales, if the thread materials are different, I have now lost out on the more stainless properties. Note; I have rusted out Delica and Endura VG-10 models. Hence my love for Salt models.

On a side note, the yellow scales definetly have a more matte texture to them (feels very nice) compared to the more smooth/glossy texture on the SPY27 model

Second side note, I am not a fan of Rit-Dye so the scale swap was the original intent all along
Short answer, yes, the hardware/threads/lock bar, etc. metals are all different between the two and were chosen specifically for the Salt/Magnacut interfacing of parts. The only way around the color at this point is to RIT Dye, otherwise, you are compromising the corrosion resistance that Spyderco took the year(s) development to make sure it would be Salt worthy.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Looks like brass inserts on the salt.
I see, said the blind man.
Humint

Post by Humint »

weeping minora wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:26 am
Humint wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:31 am
Hello,

I just purchased and received a Spyderco Native Salt in Magnacut and a Spyderco Native 5 Lightweight in SPY27. I purchased both as the N5LW is one of my favorite EDC knives. I am excited to try Spyderco's treatment of Magnacut (I already have CRKs in Magnacut). The reason I bought both is a did I scale swap between the SPY27 and the Magnacut (I am just not a fan of the yellow for EDC carry - Sorry Sal :grin-sweat ). I noticed when I switched the scales (and hardware) that the recessed screw threads in the scales are a different color/hue on the Magnacut yellow scales than the recessed screw threads in the Spy27 cobalt blue scales. The yellow scale's recessed screw threads are more gold while the cobalt blue scale's recessed screw threads are more silver. Does anyone know if the metals are different? I am worried that switching the scales, if the thread materials are different, I have now lost out on the more stainless properties. Note; I have rusted out Delica and Endura VG-10 models. Hence my love for Salt models.

Short answer, yes, the hardware/threads/lock bar, etc. metals are all different between the two and were chosen specifically for the Salt/Magnacut interfacing of parts. The only way around the color at this point is to RIT Dye, otherwise, you are compromising the corrosion resistance that Spyderco took the year(s) development to make sure it would be Salt worthy.
This is a very good point. I had switched all hardware with the obvious exception of the recessed screw sleeves. I love your point of Spyderco’s obvious meticulous development. With that I have since switched the scales back and will learn to live with the yellow. At least there is more of a golden hue to these scales then previous yellow salt scales.
Humint

Post by Humint »

w3tnz wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:01 pm
Looks like brass inserts on the salt.
They do. Looking up the corrosion properties of brass and it’s negligible amount of iron, it would make sense
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

I was easily able to blade swap my Magnacut blade with a blade from another Native 5 G10 model. I added Ripps Garage Tech titanium scales. I love it!