Pick One Favorite.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Monty

Re: Pick One Favorite.

Post by Monty »

I am a reformed spydie collector. I put my money where my mouth is and sold everything except my serrated pac salt. I'll see how the manix salt compares when it comes out (never owned a manix).

I have a custom non-spydie as well, for EDC in colder months where I don't sweat so much.
endura3

Post by endura3 »

embry386 wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:30 pm
Nice. There's something so classic about this generation of Enduras. The sleek lines, the lightweight linerless construction, the pointy tip and saber-ground blades -- it's what comes to mind when I think "pocketknife". Just, the basic classic pocketknife, functional and clean and useful. It's not my top favorite (that's the Amalgam), but my Endura 3 gets a lot more pocket time than many others in my collection.
Thank you! It really is an exceptional knife. There are plenty of other spydies I love and carry regularly, but the Endura 3 just feels like the simplest, most quintessentially "Spyderco" out of them. The blade is fantastic, and I love the one-piece handle and basic, no-fuss pinned construction. It's far and away the easiest to put in my pocket if I can't decide what to carry. It was also one of the first models I got into back in the day, which certainly has informed my preferences. I wish I had three more of these things haha.

vivi

Post by vivi »

The Endura 3 looks so right and so wrong to me at the same time. Basically the same knife as my EDC but with a smaller opening hole and VG10 instead of H1. The angle of the thumb ramp just looks so off to me since I always carry Pacifics. But I do appreciate how they come with a proper tip, unlike the Pacific.

What to bring on vacation?

Two Pacific Salts, of course :rofl

Also got my fiskars hatchet, bahco laplander and a Victorinox 10" chefs knife + ultralight cutting board among our camping gear. We stayed at Tybee Island in GA last night then headed south to Florida tonight to avoid the thunderstorms.

I've got a few pinned Pacific Salts, and even if they eventually develop a little side to side play, I also enjoy their simplicity.
:unicorn
Sanpaku

Post by Sanpaku »

Sage 2.

The best of Sal Glesser's ergonomics and Chris Reeve's minimalist design, in one package. Blade, pivot, 2 titanium slab scales, 2 washers, 2 standoffs, 1 wire clip, and 6 near identical T8 screws (the long one is for the pocket clip). Possibly the shortest parts list if any Spyderco knife. For many years, considered the best Spyderco for EDC.

Mine has been carried for most of 8 years, thinned with diamond plates to ~0.014"/0.35mm behind the edge. The S30V is fine, but I'd prefer a tougher steel like MagnaCut or K390. S30V is pretty chippy at 15 dps.

Were there a sprint run of Sage 2s in Magnacut or K390, I'd double dip. The Sage 2 is that good.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

That multicolored dyed one came out beautiful, Vivi. Looks like a sunset, especially with the horizon in the background of that last photo.

Haha yeah it's funny, I have a couple Pac Salts and the Endura is so close to them but also just off enough that it feels strange to switch between them if I've been carrying one for a while :bug-red-white
Matus

Post by Matus »

SE: Ayoob Cruwear

PE: Schempp Bowie

Current Home-carry: Centofante 3
E9B3793E-DEEA-4F04-833B-9499DF7F8030.jpeg
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Para 3LW with M390 blade swapped.
Now, that's today. Tomorrow, it may be a Watu or Brouwer & etc.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Erion929

Post by Erion929 »

Not just because it’s my 1st Spyderco…..or the most expensive knife I own….but because of the mods I chose, the feel, and the action. Love the knife, just have to break down and use it like it needs to be….Manix 2 👍

Second is my Lava Flow PM2 with M4 💥

DavidNM

Post by DavidNM »

I have been giving this some thought, especially since I recently purchased a Dragonfly and Delica in Zome and SuperBlue blade steel. After some thought I would keep my Lil’ Native with the backlock. It simply checks more boxes than my other Spydercos.
Self Taught

Post by Self Taught »

For me it’s the Province fixed blade. Great design for camping. Cpm 4v is a beast in a blade that size. Super tough with amazing edge retention. My only gripe is the blocky slippery handle.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

I have only been carrying the Native 5 lately, so I guess that's the one. I have been carrying the Rex45 mainly, but if I could only choose one I'd go with the Magnacut. Not the sexiest of the Spydercos, but it can do anything I need it to.
DansGearAddiction

Post by DansGearAddiction »

Easy. Spyderco Chaparral LW.

Everything I love about the Chaparral in a utilitarian format at a solid price.
Current Collection
Chaparral (LW, Stepped, Stealth, Sun & Moon), Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Self Taught wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:44 pm
For me it’s the Province fixed blade. Great design for camping. Cpm 4v is a beast in a blade that size. Super tough with amazing edge retention. My only gripe is the blocky slippery handle.
I like the Province too. The Province and Native Chief in S90V have the same effect on me as the Ring on Gollum. "My Precious!"

https://youtu.be/uyPG0qEbJM8
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
BigFishShamu

Post by BigFishShamu »

Erion929 wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:04 pm
Not just because it’s my 1st Spyderco…..or the most expensive knife I own….but because of the mods I chose, the feel, and the action. Love the knife, just have to break down and use it like it needs to be….Manix 2 👍

How difficult was the AWT scale swap? Been looking into getting some for my Manix but I’ve only ever scale swapped like one on my Demko… That build looks great 👊🏽
“Stepping into the ring was the fight.”
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

The plain-edge Aqua Salt, hands down. It's the best and most versatile knife I've ever owned.

If I had to pick a folder, the Siren.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

For the regulars around here, this is no surprise.

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

I've only got one so it's easy! My Endura! It really could be an end all knife for me, it does everything right and is about as big as I can carry, which makes it the ideal size. I hope to sample some other knives in this size range eventually, specifically the Native Chief LW, possibly the PM 2 and Manix LW, and whichever one I like best will probably be the only one that doesn't get sold off.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
Erion929

Post by Erion929 »

BigFishShamu wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:04 am
Erion929 wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:04 pm

How difficult was the AWT scale swap? Been looking into getting some for my Manix but I’ve only ever scale swapped like one on my Demko… That build looks great 👊🏽

The scale swap was simple! Because you are also deleting the lanyard tube, you don’t even need to separate the G10 scales from the lanyard tube….just remove it all in one piece. So, you just take body/pivot screws out of the knife, swing one scale/liner out of the way, jiggle out the cage/ball/retainer piece, and basically put it back together with the AWT scales.

(Just determine beforehand if you are going to replace the cage, ball, or spring with aftermarket parts)

Take a moment and observe the alignment of the cage/spring/ball as you swing out the scale/liner. There are lots of YouTube vids on disassembly, even ones changing to AWT scales. After the first time, it gets easier and easier….I took mine apart 3 times as I was trying in different springs. It’s not as hard as some make it seem, if you watch good vids.

Last edited by Erion929 on Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
tangent

Post by tangent »

Easiest question ever: Pacific Salt in any variation (best knife Spyderco makes IMHO)