M4 Bow River?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: M4 Bow River?

Post by Doc Dan »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:31 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:44 pm
To keep the cost down and give the knife more edge retention and very good corrosion resistance I wouldn't mind this knife in Sandvik 14C28N. This would also give the knife superior toughness.
I'm with the Doc on that one :winking-tongue

I LOVE every steel, but a 14C28N that is really well treated is even better than LC200N when it comes to toughness. For that kind of knife I find it to be an excellent match.
I've tried many 14C28N production blades, and heat treated it myself a good dozen of times now and it is really a cool steel IMHO.

In production I even bought a civivi just to test their HT and for now it's the best one I've had. Even resist very low pressure on ceramic plates while eating (and there isn't many steels able to do that)
I don't know why this steel doesn't get more love. It is as tough as AEB-L and a bit better than 52100. It stands up to stuff I'm embarrassed to talk about. Since it is an improved AEB-L/13C26 you get better corrosion resistance and better edge holding. I've not tried your ceramic plate test, but that doesn't surprise me at all that it would do well. It sure will go through a large bone!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:01 am

I don't know why this steel doesn't get more love. It is as tough as AEB-L and a bit better than 52100. It stands up to stuff I'm embarrassed to talk about. Since it is an improved AEB-L/13C26 you get better corrosion resistance and better edge holding. I've not tried your ceramic plate test, but that doesn't surprise me at all that it would do well. It sure will go through a large bone!
It is often seen as a budget steel and I'm pretty positive its relation to 12C27 hurts it more than it helps. Also, it doesn't have cool name like Dalekonium ! :')

I know using anything else than a serrated blade on a ceramic plate for eating is just asking to sharpen everyday, but I've been after a steel that resists it okay if you take extra care. My Native 5 LW in LC200N was the best option until I got the civivi in 14C28N. I've tested other brands' 14C in the plate before but they did not fair particularly well.

Here, it's just a joy ! If I make a mistake and hit the plate too strong I don't have to do much to bring it back to scary sharp. I often see 14C28N with a heat treat that renders it mushy once you try to sharpen it (and I hate that feeling, kinda like some M390 with poor heat treat).
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I am all for a 14C28N or AEBL version too.
Would make a seriously good knife in general likely even punching well above its price relative to the performance.
Personally, I would still probably go for M4 just because it would be interesting to have something that isn’t stainless to complement the knives available (and that I own) in stainless 8Cr13MoV, H1/H2, LC200N, Spy27 etc.

I think we are also just enthusiastic about the M4 announcement.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I can definitely see 14C28N doing well in this platform. I don’t have much experience with it personally, but I know Kershaw does well with it and David C. Andersen really likes it. Seems real tough, real stainless, and real easy to sharpen?

Truthfully I just want the M4, but I’m no fisherman.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
olywa

Post by olywa »

I've had good experiences with multiple Civivi 14C28N models. I'd like to see how it would do with a serrated edge.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I’ll also jump on the bandwagon for the 14C28N as a base level steel. I here it is comparable to AUS-8?????. See it in Casstrom product from Sweden.

Personally, not interested in Bow River … have a Sprig and like its design more … not to mention its S90V blade … yes I know I paid about 10x more for it over the Bow R.

Anything commented here I would like to see carryover to the Stok drop point, would prefer to see it in M4.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

I have a Sprig and South Fork, but would definitely buy something with a steel upgrade, magnacut, elmax, m390, Cruwear, CPM-M4. For me, bdn1, 440, 14c28n, spy27n, would be too similar in edge retention to the current model to be worth it. Kinda like doing a 154cm sprint run of a VG-10 model.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Yes, but the 14C28N gives stellar toughness that those other steels can't match.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

Lot of folks use the Bow river for food prep. LC200N is the more obvious choice, but whatabout Vanax superclean? I have a Quitecarry Waypoint that uses that steel and it's great for small kitchen tasks and fully stainless. Did Spyderco ever made a knife with Vanax?
PM2 Crucarta, Manix 2 lw s110v, Manix 2 blackout, Shaman, Tenacious, GB1, GB2, Smock, Kapara, Native 5 s90v, Chaparral cts-xhp faceted Ti, Para 3 blackout flytanium scales. PM2 M390 DLT exclusive, Caly 3 Superblue sprint run, Police PE ATS-55, Mcbee, Caly 3.5 ZDP189 CF, PM2 Maxamet, Millitary CF s90v sprint run, Lil' Native CF s90v sprint run, Mule CPM Rex T15, Spydiechef, Amalgam.

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***
mokele

Post by mokele »

It is a perfect knife design for many things: fishing, camping food prep, butchering. Even a slight steel improvement will make it very appealing.
I personally would buy it immediately.