What is Spyderco's current policy on broken screws?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Brown_Recluse

What is Spyderco's current policy on broken screws?

Post by Brown_Recluse »

I hope this isn't a redundant post but I wasn't able to find an answer.

One of the clip screws on my Spydiechef snapped just below the head of the screw so there are no threads left to secure the screw in any capacity. Would Spyderco replace it? I know this was a point of contention a while back but I haven't heard or read anything else about it. If they don't provide replacement screws is there a 3rd party site that would have replacements?

TIA
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN
Mushroom

Re: What is Spyderco's current policy on broken screws?

Post by Mushroom »

It might be worth contacting their warranty and repair department directly. They will be able to lead you in the best direction to move forward with. I’m guessing they would ask you to send it in for repair.

If you’d prefer to repair it yourself, one option could be to dissolve the steel screw out of the scale. Titanium does not react with ferric chloride so you can use a ferric chloride etching solution to dissolve the steel screw without effecting the titanium at all.

You might also be able to find aftermarket clip screws available for sale on ebay or similar sites.

:respect :bug-white-red
-Nick :bug-red
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I’d carefully drill out the screw. I needed to do this once to a factory installed cross threaded screw. I then bought an extra clip, which comes with new screws.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Spyderco will send out replacement screws free of charge, within reason. We have always done that, so it was never a point of contention. The best way to request a replacement screw is to take a clear photo of your knife both open and closed and use a pencil or something similar to point to the hole with the missing screw. Then email that to customerservice@spyderco.com and ask for a replacement screw.

If you cannot remove the remnant of your original screw and you want us to do it for you, you must send in your knife. That is not a warranty issue, so a fee will be charged for the service.

Stay safe,

Mike
Brown_Recluse

Post by Brown_Recluse »

I appreciate everyone's responses.
blueblur wrote: I’d carefully drill out the screw. I needed to do this once to a factory installed cross threaded screw. I then bought an extra clip, which comes with new screws.
Mushroom wrote: It might be worth contacting their warranty and repair department directly. They will be able to lead you in the best direction to move forward with. I’m guessing they would ask you to send it in for repair.

If you’d prefer to repair it yourself, one option could be to dissolve the steel screw out of the scale. Titanium does not react with ferric chloride so you can use a ferric chloride etching solution to dissolve the steel screw without effecting the titanium at all.

You might also be able to find aftermarket clip screws available for sale on ebay or similar sites.

:respect :bug-white-red
Mushroon & blurblur - luckily the body of the screw didn't get stuck in the scale or else I would def be sending it in because I don't trust myself with a drill and a Spyderco. especially one with titanium scales. I kno I'd do something wrong and permanently scar it just cuz that's my luck lol
Michael Janich wrote: Spyderco will send out replacement screws free of charge, within reason. We have always done that, so it was never a point of contention. The best way to request a replacement screw is to take a clear photo of your knife both open and closed and use a pencil or something similar to point to the hole with the missing screw. Then email that to customerservice@spyderco.com and ask for a replacement screw.

If you cannot remove the remnant of your original screw and you want us to do it for you, you must send in your knife. That is not a warranty issue, so a fee will be charged for the service.

Stay safe,

Mike
Mike - thank you for the reply. maybe contention wasn't the right word, I just kno that Sal had some hesitancy at one point to send out replacement parts (for valid reasons with which I agree) and I wasn't sure if the policy had changed since it was 5 years ago that I saw it being discussed but I'll be sure to snap a photo and send it in. I really appreciate it!
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN