15V Shaman!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HolySteel

Re: 15V Shaman!

Post by HolySteel »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:25 pm
The lock thing is just like any other knife, they're not all dialed in precisely so the blade drops shut, it just needs adjusted a little. My 15v came super tight, after about a week of use I took it apart and looked it over, greased the pivot and adjusted it my way and now the blade is a pendulum.
I was noticing that the area for pressing the lock release with your index finger, is shorter on the Shaman and the kick gets in your finger's way a little. But yeah, it's also tight. Once I make some adjustments I'll check again.

Staring at it a little longer, I'm getting kind of fond of it. Thought it would be Mule-like, but the Shaman's much more 'powerful'. It's a lot of steel, and I don't think it's a bad value.
RAHComanche

Post by RAHComanche »

My lock is super tight too. It takes two hands to close the blade: even when I fully release the lock, I have to push the blade back to overcome the stick. This is contrast to my PM2 which has impressive action.

For someone that has never taken apart a Spyderco knife, what steps in order would you recommend to improve the lockstick of the Shaman?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

RAHComanche wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:32 pm
My lock is super tight too. It takes two hands to close the blade: even when I fully release the lock, I have to push the blade back to overcome the stick. This is contrast to my PM2 which has impressive action.

For someone that has never taken apart a Spyderco knife, what steps in order would you recommend to improve the lockstick of the Shaman?

You don't even need to take it apart, just very slightly loosen one of the pivot screws and it should be fine. Sometimes the sweet spot for adjustment is very very small turns on the screws but you figure it out with practice.

I'm not sure if you meant lock stick as in the lock tab itself is hard to press in, that's a different issue than needing two hands to disengage the lock and turn the blade closed.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

If you do ever take a Spyderco apart (or any folder?), make sure you have all materials at ready, and you're working in a space where WHEN something goes flying (washer, screw, spacer), it has a predictable landing area. I would also watch a video first, specific to your model. I get a surprise every time I disassemble a different model. The good news has been that they all go back together as they should;i.e-components are perfectly engineered.

My 15V Shaman and PM2 both arrived today, and I noticed the same thing as you: the PM2 had very impressive action and I don't need to do anything. I took apart and cleaned/lubed my Crucarta PM2 yesterday, and this new 15V PM2 is just as ready to go.
CYCOKAIJU

Post by CYCOKAIJU »

**update** Thanks for the welcome! I was able to pick up the shaman at SFO. I seem to go there once a week anyway.🤑 First batch (10 units) SFO got sold out in 5 mins. So a very nice worker (Chase) said he'd notify me next time they had one in and hold it for me. Very awesome service! I don't think they do that often.. But it helps to be a regular! ☺️☺️
Buddafucco wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:38 am
CYCOKAIJU wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:04 pm
:bug-red-white Since I live close to Spyderco, I typically get the sprints directly from them. I really hope they save some for their store. Does anyone have any insight?
Hey CYCOKAIJU... Welcome to the Forum!
I have seen reports that they had a batch for sale at SFO earlier in the week.
Justintoxicated

Post by Justintoxicated »

Got my 15V Shaman, it's a nice knife, although I do wish the handle had more texture. I'm not a fan of smooth grips really, micarta probably would have been better if they wanted a semi smooth grip.

The action is addicting, but for some reason when I close it the knife tab always smacks my finger, which is really annoying.

It's a nice piece, but the design where it smacks your finger is a bit odd.

Definatly has some heft to it. Blade is pretty dang sharp from the factory too.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Justintoxicated wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 11:37 am

The action is addicting, but for some reason when I close it the knife tab always smacks my finger, which is really annoying.

Just practice taking your finger off the tab at the last second. The blade has enough mass to get home that last little bit.
~David
Justintoxicated

Post by Justintoxicated »

Anyone tried the 5x5 recluse clip for the shaman? Seems to be the best deep carry design, but I'm unsure if I want to replace the back spacer on my 15v shaman. Will it mess up the balance?

https://5x5combatsolutions.com/shop/ols ... /v/421543K
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Funny I had no intention of getting the shaman 15v but then I realized I had the other 2, might as well have the complete set!...shaman 15v incoming!
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Justintoxicated wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 11:37 am
Got my 15V Shaman, it's a nice knife, although I do wish the handle had more texture. I'm not a fan of smooth grips really, micarta probably would have been better if they wanted a semi smooth grip.

Definatly has some heft to it. Blade is pretty dang sharp from the factory too.
Yeah, that part is really strange. Spydercos are wildly and wonderfully diverse in all their design characteristics. The issue you mention, and the Siren biting my index finger are the oddest quirks I've encountered. I say "odd" as opposed to "bad", because it's easy enough to train yourself to avoid them.

I didn't like the Shaman when I first received it, and put it away. Got it out again recently and it must have grown on me while we were apart - like inner skiing - and I'm looking forward to carrying it.
kellyglanzer

Post by kellyglanzer »

Skinny Vintage Westinghouse single Blackline scales.
My first skinny pair. Love how it completely changed the knife in hand and in my pocket to something more desirable for me.

attila

Post by attila »

kellyglanzer wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:52 am
Skinny Vintage Westinghouse single Blackline scales.
My first skinny pair. Love how it completely changed the knife in hand and in my pocket to something more desirable for me.

Looks good, but I can’t find any info on the interwebs about those scales. Did you make them yourself?
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
kellyglanzer

Post by kellyglanzer »

attila wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:51 am
Looks good, but I can’t find any info on the interwebs about those scales. Did you make them yourself?
[/quote]

A single custom set as far as i know, made by RC Bladeworks.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Cycokaiju, Justintoxicated, Kellyglanzer,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
kellyglanzer

Post by kellyglanzer »

sal wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 9:56 pm
Hi Cycokaiju, Justintoxicated, Kellyglanzer,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thanks Sal. Been a member and reading here since 2009 just not much of a poster here. 15V brought me back recently, Thank you for that. Met you at the Eugene show the first time back in the early 2000's, not sure which year. Was always enthralled by your great stories every time I met you.

Best regards
Kelly
laudbrian

Post by laudbrian »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:37 pm
RAHComanche wrote:

You don't even need to take it apart, just very slightly loosen one of the pivot screws and it should be fine. Sometimes the sweet spot for adjustment is very very small turns on the screws but you figure it out with practice.

I'm not sure if you meant lock stick as in the lock tab itself is hard to press in, that's a different issue than needing two hands to disengage the lock and turn the blade closed.
Hey all first time poster here...
I believe 'stick' is what is what I'm running into but not as drastic, thank you for the helpful tips.
I did my first scale swap ever to some RGT Titanium and it looks nice, here is a video:
The lock stick (I think it's called that) can be seen towards the end of this video.

https://www.tiktok.com/@3dmakey/video/7 ... cgiA8Ebx8Q

I will add some oil, adjusting the pivot screw, and report back.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

laudbrian wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 3:27 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:37 pm
RAHComanche wrote:

I believe 'stick' is what is what I'm running into but not as drastic, thank you for the helpful tips.
I did my first scale swap ever to some RGT Titanium and it looks nice, here is a video:
The lock stick (I think it's called that) can be seen towards the end of this video.

That looks to me like your pivot is just too tight and the blade is having a hard time turning. Lock stick is when the lock tab itself sticks in the locked position when the knife is opened, and when you press the tab to close the blade the tab sort of pops loose instead of a smooth press.
~David
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

laudbrian wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 3:27 pm

I ordered those same scales during his sale last week, now I'm even more excited to get them. They look great!

As for the action, I agree with Evil D that your pivot may be too tight.

The Shaman blade is fairly heavy so it doesn't take much use for it to become a "free dropper."
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
18 Spydies, 15 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
laudbrian

Post by laudbrian »

Giygas wrote:
I ordered those same scales during his sale last week, now I'm even more excited to get them. They look great!

As for the action, I agree with Evil D that your pivot may be too tight.

The Shaman blade is fairly heavy so it doesn't take much use for it to become a "free dropper."
Awesome, yes much better than the brown imo. Here is another look at those scales: https://www.tiktok.com/@3dmakey/video/7 ... 6895699243

I will check that pivot!
Evil D wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 4:51 pm

That looks to me like your pivot is just too tight and the blade is having a hard time turning. Lock stick is when the lock tab itself sticks in the locked position when the knife is opened, and when you press the tab to close the blade the tab sort of pops loose instead of a smooth press.
Evil D, appreciate the confirmation and help on what I should tweak, thank you!
Vaugith

Post by Vaugith »

I like the looks of those scales a lot. The flytanium ti scales nearly perfectly match the factory G10 contouring but they're very slick. I've contemplated sending them in for some laser texturing for a while now. I didnt love the metonboss ti due to the reduced contouring, and I'm trying to test the Cerberus ultem but their total lack of contoring is really bothering me. These RGTs look like they have good contouring but also texture. Could be a winning combination. Folks who ordered them, please report back when you get them installed / use them a bit with your opinions!