Completely Forgotten Spyderco Models: Your Favorites?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Completely Forgotten Spyderco Models: Your Favorites?

Post by JD Spydo »

Two variants of a popular model might as well be listed as "Forgotten">> I'm speaking of the Micarta and Stainless versions of the C-52 Caly Jr. There are many variants of that great model but those two just don't get any mention at all>> and it's been that way for quite some time now.

Two other lost and forgotten Spyderco models are the early to mid 90s SPUR model as well as the long forgotten Peter Herbst model.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Toucan

Post by Toucan »

Reject wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:17 pm
C13 Pro-Grip

I know these are real knives, but my first thought was that these look like renders from a machine learning system being fed every picture of a Spyderco from the 90's. I think it's the inlaid grip in the clip.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

removed - images aren't posting
Last edited by HolySteel on Thu May 18, 2023 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
VWTattoo

Post by VWTattoo »

I haven’t listened/ read back to all of the replies yet, but I have a few which might not have been listed, but to me they are as obscure as it gets.

1. C05 Standard/ Economy - actually, both are really nice lock backs, especially with the grippy G-10 version in ATS-55. Very similar to a Delica in size, and for sure aren’t talked about.

2. C56 Zowada - Besides JD, there’s very little love or discussion about this awesome collaboration, and I don’t know why. The dagger shape blade is super appealing to me, and the micarta handle feels great.

3. C67 R -even though a sprint model was released, the lack of fanfare over the model is weird. I love the skeletonized scales, blade shape, and weight. I have an original one in PE that’s NIB, and one each (PE and SE) which are also NIB. Perhaps that’s why there’s not much talk about them, as maybe others are collecting and not carrying or using them, like me…

4. Adventura/ Lava/ Junior/ Battlestation -all of Dialex and CLB collaborations seem to be under the radar. Again, mine are safe queens.

These are the ones which came to mind. All are seldom lusted after or discussed, but they still hold their own, in my estimation.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Ngati Pom wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:47 am
Both the CFIFPS Flat Iron and the C54 Calypso.
Flatiron is totally forgotten. In fact I’d bet it’s the most forgotten!
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

To be completely truthful, my Yang gets more use than any other Spydie, and I suspect it is a well-forgotten model...
Attachments
th-2144296916.jpeg
th-2144296916.jpeg (6.66 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Kango

Post by Kango »

Never hear about the domino’s little brother the Dice anymore. I picked one up when it was discontinued. It was my third spyderco at the time. It has some shortcomings (bulky in pocket, not the best flipper action, questionable choice in CF pattern) of all my knives it still has the best ergos/feel in hand. It’s a great office/gents EDC
Attachments
IMG_4015.PNG
joeldworkin307

Post by joeldworkin307 »

I used to have a double bevel reprofiled as a drop point. I miss that knife
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

removed - images aren't posting
Last edited by HolySteel on Thu May 18, 2023 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I have a Spyderco Province Fixed Blade in 4V and I'd buy another one in Magnacut with the exact same dimensions. Hopefully if it were made, it would have excellent hardness.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... rade-/1799

I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
TomahawkT10

Post by TomahawkT10 »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:21 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:56 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:22 pm
Reject wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:13 pm

C135 Perrin PPT

Easily my favorite model that Spyderco has ever produced! Extremely grateful it has seen two sprints and I would welcome any more they're willing to do! :D
I sort of liked the PPT myself. But what was it mainly that you really liked about it? Are you one of those guys that likes wider blades maybe? I will admit that I really like a few of Fred Perrin's models myself. But that one never really lit my fire like his STREETBEAT and Street Bowie did. But you certainly can't knock success and Fred Perrin has had a bunch of success for sure. Just curious
Aesthetically it is one of the most alluring designs Spyderco has ever made, in my opinion. I think the lines are just beautiful. I also think the the large Spyderhole gives the knife a unique looking "character." :spyder:

On top of that though, it has many features that I really like. In particular, the blade shape has become my favorite blade shape and style. Spyderco calls it a "modified wharcliffe." I like how its kind of hybrid between a spear point and wharncliffe point but with a little bit of belly.

It's also a comfortable knife, just the right size for me, the ergonomics fit my hand well. It has relatively thick liners plus the G10 scales so it has some heft and thickness in general. Which I think improves the feel in hand. I also like the corrugated G10 scales; It's not something we've seen too often from Spyderco. Lastly, I love how they implemented the deep carry clip into the backspacer.
Agree with everything said here. Will they ever sell it again? It should be a mainstay in my opinion, like the Manix 2 etc...
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Sacha Thiel still makes a custom version of the PPT ! It's custom prices, but for custom prices IMO it's more than honest :open-grin

The Baby Horn (even if mine is a semi-recent sprint run) is certainly my favorite amongst the one I own.

I would've said the Des Horn, since it's my favorite UFO of a knife, but it's too recent for me to qualify it as "completely forgotten". I have a PPT and Salsa on their way, maybe my mind will change after playing with those two for a while :)
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ramonade wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 6:34 am
Sacha Thiel still makes a custom version of the PPT ! It's custom prices, but for custom prices IMO it's more than honest :open-grin

I would've said the Des Horn, since it's my favorite UFO of a knife, but it's too recent for me to qualify it as "completely forgotten". I have a PPT and Salsa on their way, maybe my mind will change after playing with those two for a while :)
Glad someone mentioned the Des Horn model. Because for years I've thought that the Des Horn with a better blade steel and different handle materials could be extremely interesting. I do like those narrow blade designs and that Des Horn had an intriguing design.

And I can always love those Jess Horn designs as well. The ZDP-189, Burgundy Jess Horn model from the 2006 era has been one of my all time favs for EDC carry. I've also wondered at times what a C-01 Worker model might have been like with a ZDP-189 blade.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Ramonade wrote:

The Baby Horn (even if mine is a semi-recent sprint run) is certainly my favorite amongst the one I own.

From memory, it sure looks a lot like a Pattada.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I like the Rookie.

I was messing around with my S the other day, it's pretty nice. I think mine needs some oil.

Micarta (or maybe some new material) Caly Jr would be a sweet sprint. I have only ever owned a couple of FRN models. But you know, I probably like the Caly 3 and Caly 3.5 and Calypso better than the Jr.

I would mind seeing a Caly Jr redone proportionally do the rest of the Caly series. I wouldn't mind a 3 finger grip (with a lanyard), which might be fairly similar to a Lum Chinese Jr.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 5:15 pm
Ramonade wrote:

Glad someone mentioned the Des Horn model. Because for years I've thought that the Des Horn with a better blade steel and different handle materials could be extremely interesting. I do like those narrow blade designs and that Des Horn had an intriguing design.

And I can always love those Jess Horn designs as well. The ZDP-189, Burgundy Jess Horn model from the 2006 era has been one of my all time favs for EDC carry. I've also wondered at times what a C-01 Worker model might have been like with a ZDP-189 blade.
Seeing how needly the tip is, I'd love for it to be made in a very strong steel too ! Not necessarily overly tough, but something with excellent strength, that will have a very stable edge 😄

Im pretty sure full carbon fiber would work with the same construction since its using posts to hold the body together.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I keep thinking back on the Worker design, specifically about the blade tip and the first models with the sharpened second edge/swedge. I would love to see this concept brought back in a handle forward design like the Leaf Jumper. It's a tricky design to modify myself because the handle needs to completely enclose around a good portion of the blade tip to hide the sharpened edge, so it needs the right handle shape to work.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I didn't have the patience to read through all posts, but this one struck me as a candidate. Even when i found mine it was very rarely mentioned. The C99 Volpe

The laser cut bug on the lock side is pretty cool!

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Evil D wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 5:13 am
I keep thinking back on the Worker design, specifically about the blade tip and the first models with the sharpened second edge/swedge. I would love to see this concept brought back in a handle forward design like the Leaf Jumper. It's a tricky design to modify myself because the handle needs to completely enclose around a good portion of the blade tip to hide the sharpened edge, so it needs the right handle shape to work.
I’ve been thinking about the same thing!

Some of the original Spydercos, like the Worker and Mariner, could probably be translated into handle forward designs.

The Worker has a particularly interesting blade that I definitely want to try.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool: