Military 2 (PRE-ORDER) posted on KnifeCenter $196

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bladesandbeverages

Re: Military 2 (PRE-ORDER) posted on KnifeCenter $196

Post by bladesandbeverages »

The Paramilitary was designed to be a smaller version of the military. The PM2 was a design change of the paramilitary, which was not identical in size but definitely close enough. I could care less what they call it. They are not discontinuing the military so I’m confused as to why anyone cares whether it’s a PMXL or a military 2. It seems some are just bothered that it’s not a liner lock. My opinion is irrelevant but based on what I stated above, it makes more sense to me I guess that it’s called the military 2. It’s changes that they are making to the military model. Kind of a silly thing to argue about. We have tons of options from Spyderco. I hope this doesn’t come off the wrong way as I’m not here to add fuel to the fire. 🍻
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

My lord, y’all are a cantankerous bunch of sum******s.

It’d be great if we could have one thread about the Millie 2 that didn’t get derailed.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 8:55 pm

It’d be great if we could have one thread about the Millie 2 that didn’t get derailed.
See, but it’s a discussion forum. Everyone has an opinion. It was an amusing thread and rather civil, I thought.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Foehammer wrote:
kennethsime wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 8:55 pm

See, but it’s a discussion forum. Everyone has an opinion. It was an amusing thread and rather civil, I thought.
vivi wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 7:38 pm
Lil Native, Manix XL & mini, Sage, Chinook.....so many Spydercos have been given different locks and still retained the same name.

Sal named it the Military 2, so it's the Military 2. Get over it :rofl

Yes, it is a bit weird:
- One guy simply said on a knife discussion forum (!) that in his eyes this would look more like a PM2 XL than a Millie 2, but he makes also literally clear in the same sentence that Spyderco of course has the right to call it what they like.

Some people then weirdly freak out about this - try to ridicule this contribution, and even fabricate a message that is the complete opposite of what the op said to then rave about that false message ("Sal not allowed to name a knife what he wants to" -complete opposite of what the op actually said).

I personally also feel that this has been discussed enough already, but that´s not the point here and generally:

- This is not about "what a knife is called".

- It is just that some people who are passionate about Spyderco, and happen to value the feature a) linerlock (in use and ergos) and b) distinct choil ... figure that the Millie 2 might feel more and have more in common with a PM2XL to them
And then share this opinion in a polite and constructive way on a Spyderco discussion forum

- Just one example:

Let´ say Spyderco would make an updated PM2 2.0 - with a Millie linerlock and that short, typical Millie 1 choil.
In that case there´d certainly also be some folks who love the comp.lock and the current PM2 choil who´d then say :" Well, to me personally this looks more like a smaller Millie 1".
Would be an legitimate opinion, and also legitimate to share it here.
Exact same thing with the Millie 2.

So, folks, relax a bit ;) and just let people share their thoughts (I would not have anymore though if this was not more about discussion culture than about the actual knife)

For a while there will be both versions on the market anyway indeed.

/ @ Vivi:

This is not at all about the naming (the op made that clear), but about what the new Millie 2 might feel to or remind some people of. More a Millie with comp.lock, or more a larger PM 2.

Your examples lack something: Differently to the Millie 2 thing, in your examples there is not really a smaller version in the same way that a new larger version (the Millie 2) is obviously a lot modelled after (the PM2) (rightfully so, don´t get me wrong, cause the PM2 works for so many folks and is a big seller).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Ugh. Deja vu all over again.
Who cares what Spydeco calls it, right?
But of course it has more in common with the PM2 than the Military, right? I think that's pretty hard to argue, right?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Look...guys ... I'm not sure wtf all that was, I was really just being my usual sarcastic self. Sorry if I rubbed people the wrong way. Let's just move on, it's seriously not worth all this.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Brown_Recluse

Post by Brown_Recluse »

Military 2.... PM2XL.... the name I care not about, the steel on the other hand, imo, is the bread and butter of any knife and while I personally would have liked to have seen the first iteration in S45VN I will gladly buy the S30V version to get me through until the inevitable S90V Sprint Run comes to fruition.
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

here are some haiku for you all.

military 2
some will say it is just a
pm2xl

updated classic
some reminiscent features
true fans will lament

a compression lock
redesigned grip area
sad enthusiasts

old military
is finally updated
a vast improvement

4 position clip
and forward finger choil
millie cult aghast

ot bonus:
manix lightweight salt
teased but not yet delivered
magnacut or bust
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

JackRussell wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 2:28 pm
To reiterate, a Military without a liner lock is not a legitimate Military in my eyes -- it's a PM2XL. It's an "emperor has no clothes" scenario. However, Spyderco clearly has the right to name their knives with whatever moniker they choose.
Is this response serious or in jest. I can’t tell.
pleadnotguilty

Post by pleadnotguilty »

Nice thing about s30v is you can use it and eventually after it’s thrashed and used the s30v will still be for sale. The other steels only come out once and don’t work as well as consistent users…