I think we’re reaching the limit

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: I think we’re reaching the limit

Post by Evil D »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:30 am
You're not off base saying S90V is old news to some David, but it's a shame. I love S90V it's one of the better steels out there in my opinion, and still a reason for me to buy a knife I might not otherwise.
Both 90 and 110 are amazing, it's incredible that either one is old news. It's definitely proof that we tend to gravitate towards the latest and greatest, but I also don't think that's always a bad thing because it helps to push innovation. If people hadn't raved over S30V 20 years ago we may not have a lot of these steels available in knives today. It can start feeling like ravenous consumerism sometimes but I think the constant out-doing is a healthy thing for the hobby. It's not like those steels become useless to me, and I like to think about the timeline of things and how it all grows. As long as what is coming next truly is an improvement over what we have today, I can't wait to see what's next, it's a big part of what holds my attention when I already have enough knives to last the rest of my life.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:08 pm
Both 90 and 110 are amazing, it's incredible that either one is old news. It's definitely proof that we tend to gravitate towards the latest and greatest, but I also don't think that's always a bad thing because it helps to push innovation. If people hadn't raved over S30V 20 years ago we may not have a lot of these steels available in knives today. It can start feeling like ravenous consumerism sometimes but I think the constant out-doing is a healthy thing for the hobby. It's not like those steels become useless to me, and I like to think about the timeline of things and how it all grows. As long as what is coming next truly is an improvement over what we have today, I can't wait to see what's next, it's a big part of what holds my attention when I already have enough knives to last the rest of my life.
Agreed.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

On the macro level, I think a lot of people are feeling it on their wallet lately.
So increasing prices all over the board, especially on the essentials, stagnating wages and lots of uncertainty in many markets, it's only wise to be a bit careful with luxury spending's.

On a personal level it isn't so much my financial situation, but rather me slowly realizing that sprints and exclusives don't make a lot of sense to me. They can be good value if you live in the US, but rarely on this side of the pond. I hardly ever need the upgrade/alternate trade-off in steel properties, I don't worry about scale color and ultimately their artificial scarcity can (on rare occasions) make me feel bad for using it like it should.
In fact the evergreen options are so good these days, they're mostly just outcompeting themselves. I would have bought a S110V Manix 2 LW a long time ago if it wasn't for rumors of a screw construction in the works. Then we learned there was a MC version in the works. The inevitable Stretch 2 XL Salt is the only thing holding me back from buying the VG-10 version. Similar story with the Enuff 2. While still undecided on this one, a salt may tip me over. So yeah, the production stuff will do just fine for me, most of the time. But I won't buy the current good enough thing, if there's something I find even better suited around the next corner.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

RustyIron wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:40 am
I feel secure enough with my masculinity that I'll publicly admit to preferring the Purple CruWear PM2. I carry it frequently. Don't tell anyone, but I've also dyed a couple FRN K390's purple. My fancy 15V PM2 hasn't even arrived yet, and I'm already thinking about what I can do to make it purple.
💜💜💜

I bought the purple/black CruWear Manix 2 and it didn't make me totally gay.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Some people are holding out for magnacut. Also people went nuts for 15v. K390 seems to be very popular for new purchases. With these kinds of things hitting the market it may not be the best time for releasing tool steel paramilitarys. But without the numbers we're just speculating.
NCJohn62

Post by NCJohn62 »

dull&blunt wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:42 pm
Don't buy knives as an investment. Buy them because you are genuinely enthusiastic about them. You'l be satisficed knowing that you got to experience them before passing them on. That is worth something.
And that's exactly why I was excited about the 15V Manix 2. It's my favorite model and I knew that the heat treat would be amazing. I don't poop on people who have to "catch them all" but I don't have the money or the addictive personality to chase them. :winking-tongue But that's what I love about Spyderco, that I can spend my money and get something really amazing that will last the rest of my life.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:31 am
The flippers will move on to the next hot product. They are much like mosquitos and fleas, only less welcome.

The problem with offering the next super steel is that everything else looks bad in comparison. They have created their own trap in that in order to keep driving sales they have to keep offering something new and better.
I think a lot of the "sells out in minutes" thing is due to the flippers. They seem to be able to pick up on the hype surrounding a new release and buy up the ones that they think will have the most potential for profit. There may be something to the thought that enthusiasts are becoming more saturated, I know I haven't been so interested in some of the recent releases. However the ones that I was somewhat interested in sold so fast that I would not have been able to get one anyway. Saturated or not I will always be interested in the next super steel. I have and use M4, Rex45, K390 and S110V, but if something with more toughness or good toughness and better edgeholding comes along I'll be interested.
Evil D wrote:
Both 90 and 110 are amazing, it's incredible that either one is old news.
I agree, by comparison with any of the new super steels they still have very good edgeholding and at least S110V is still relatively available.
Subverto

Post by Subverto »

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the price of Spyderco's knives are getting a little ridiculous. Yes, I realize the cost of materials went up, but $185.50 for a standard satin PM2 is a lot more money than your average person is going to want to spend on a pocket knife. And if you're like me, you then need to buy a deep carry pocket clip which adds another $25-30 to the total. And if you're someone that wants the knife to feel like it was made to comfortably fit a human hand you need to spend another $50-100 on contoured scales. All said and done you're looking at $260 to $315 for a PM2 with a deep carry clip and contoured handles. Other USA made brands offer all that at the $150 mark.

Don't get me wrong I love my PM2's, but if you aren't a Spyderco fanboy a Spyderco PM2 in 2023 is a tough sell, regardless of what steel or color it comes in. And yes obviously I know Spyderco makes a ton of other knives, but the PM2 is their flagship model and seems to get the most sprint runs.
DavidNM

Post by DavidNM »

There have been some great observations and comments in this thread but I am going to add mine anyway. I do believe cost is certainly a factor, at least for some people and for some models. I recently ordered a Dragonfly and yes. Cost played a role in my decision.
I think the greater factor may be market saturation. It seems like there are a lot of sprint runs/dealer/distributor exclusives that collectors are being more selective since they can’t have them all.

Just my observation.
TSINGA

Post by TSINGA »

I have quite a wish list, but I'm holding my purchases until the next MAP holiday. I guess I have too many knives and right now other things are competing for my extra dollars.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Subverto wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:00 pm
Other USA made brands offer all that at the $150 mark.
What brand/knife? The FRN Dekas are all I could come up with.
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

The Deka magnacut is 135. I think the Manix lw magnacut will be about the same price. I am waiting on that one.
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

The shaman at 299 has been available for over 24 hours. The Manix and pm2 we’re selling out in minutes even at inflated prices.
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
Donut

Post by Donut »

Evil D wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:30 am
You're not off base saying S90V is old news to some David, but it's a shame. I love S90V it's one of the better steels out there in my opinion, and still a reason for me to buy a knife I might not otherwise.
You know, when I looked back at the wear resistance testing numbers, it looked like S110V wasn't nearly as wear resistant as S90V. I carry S110V almost every day, but I don't think it's super super steel on the level of S90V.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

I must say my buying has slowed. A $200 knife becomes double and sometimes more to an Australian buyer.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Mini2white wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:58 pm
I must say my buying has slowed. A $200 knife becomes double and sometimes more to an Australian buyer.
I have to agree. Not as bad in Europe but almost 300€ for a S30V Shaman or Kapara is violent to a knife addict's budget.
The second hand market is where I go most of the time now.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:36 pm
Well if it wasn't the Manix, what WAS it that turned you totally gay?

P.S.
You would not BELIEVE the amount of restraint I'm exhibiting right now. It's only the fear of Kristi's retribution that keeps me from typing all the sidesplittingly funny jokes that are running through my head.
kobold

Post by kobold »

I was at my buying peak in 2020 and '21. In 2021 I bought 23 and sold ten knives. Last year I bought four and sold two and spent more on customizing my folders. This year so far I placed only a preorder for a fixie and might buy another folder for my BD. And I sold one knife. As my collection is stabilizing and all use cases are covered, I can afford to be very picky. Interestingly, my purchase to sell ratio seems to be around 0.5 no matter what. The economic troubles I see coming are discouraging and I prefer to go all into hard assets rn.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

RustyIron wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:43 pm
Bolster wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:36 pm
Well if it wasn't the Manix, what WAS it that turned you totally gay?

P.S.
You would not BELIEVE the amount of restraint I'm exhibiting right now. It's only the fear of Kristi's retribution that keeps me from typing all the sidesplittingly funny jokes that are running through my head.

LOLOL, believe me, I understand the self-imposed restraint. Even my purple reply took three revisions before I thought it might pass under the wire. But I can imagine what you were going to say, and LOLOL at that, too!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
James Y

Post by James Y »

I used to feel the "need" to regularly acquire new knives, even ones I only kind of wanted. For the past several years that slowed to a trickle. And since late 2021, it's stopped completely.

Yes, there are still some knives I'd like to get, and will post about wanting. But I don't feel any pressure or anxiety around whether I get them or not. I wouldn't be upset at all if I never acquired any more new knives at all.

It is incredibly freeing to feel this way. I can actually enjoy the knives I have, without the constant FOMO that so many knife enthusiasts live with, and that I used to live with (but to a lesser degree than some knife afis).

After awhile, that endorphin rush of acquiring another new knife wears off faster, and then you realize that all you can think about are the ones you don't have. It feels great to be free of that compulsive "need."

Jim