MT37P - AEB-L Mule Team Dropping Soon

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
CLOK

Re: MT37P - AEB-L Mule Team Dropping Soon

Post by CLOK »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:57 pm
https://www.etsy.com/shop/HazyDesignStu ... eZ7tnSeAfs

This guy makes some cool looking scales. He shared his work on the Millie group on Facebook, I have not tried them.
Hazy is legit. The fit and finish are awesome and would for sure buy more from him.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

CLOK wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:52 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:

This guy makes some cool looking scales. He shared his work on the Millie group on Facebook, I have not tried them.
Hazy is legit. The fit and finish are awesome and would for sure buy more from him.
Thanks guys - I just ordered a set. I bought two of the Mule Team AEB-L's, planning on two designs with some purpleheart I've had for a while. But then I watched Xplorer's detailed instructions on how to create Mule Team scales, and realized I'm out of my league. I'll still give it a go on one of them, but probably keep the results to myself :)
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:30 pm
Aha! I believe this falls under the "R.T.F.M." injunction! Sorry to ask a dope question. Thanks just the same.
No worries, if we only allowed accounts that never asked a seemingly silly question, Sal would be sitting here all alone.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Deadboxhero wrote:

I have a set. They are excellent scales, IMO.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
bobartig

Post by bobartig »

HolySteel wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:57 pm
Thanks guys - I just ordered a set. I bought two of the Mule Team AEB-L's, planning on two designs with some purpleheart I've had for a while. But then I watched Xplorer's detailed instructions on how to create Mule Team scales, and realized I'm out of my league. I'll still give it a go on one of them, but probably keep the results to myself :)
You will learn *a lot* from making a crappy set of scales, and get a much better appreciation of what it takes. I've been making scales using a cheap carpenter's saw that came with a plastic miter block, a coping saw, a rotary tool, a drill guide adapter for a cordless drill, sanding bits and discs, and hand sanding. Oh, and a carbide punch.

You can see just how low-tech my first attempt was here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=94441&p=1700914#p1700914 I just hand-cut a birch 1x3 from home depot by clamping it to my porch table!

So far, I've made Birch, Oak, Wenge, and now working on some Purple Heart using these tools:

If you're not good at drilling, your early efforts will suck, and will take lots of tries just to get the barrels and screws on the mule. But then you'll figure out gradually how not to suck so much at drilling (Hint, get a carbide punch!), and other various things.

My latest pair involved some experimenting with more complicated barrel/screw designs for a cleaner look. I'd get a pair of Halpern scales in order to trace and compare and look at, but outside of that, it's mostly solving some very basic woodworking problems, and you can learn a lot just by doing, instead of assuming it is beyond you.

HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Thanks for sharing that information. I figured I would study his instructions carefully to understand all the processes that need to take place, thinking about manual tools that could be used to get them done. I'm sure it will be fun, regardless of how bad the first sets turn out.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I do a little bit of cooking. Whenever I try a new recipe, I expect the first (or even second) trial to be not so good, but a necessary learning step to figure out how to make what I really want. As I gain experience I am able to produce something good much more often on the first trial -- but you get what I am saying as far as knife scales.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

VandymanG wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:52 am
It didn’t go as well for me. I couldn’t even get the site to load. It said site unavailable each time. So I did what any grown fiercely independent male would do. I panicked and called my wife. Had to explain the significance of this mule because she was like “you want another mule? Why?” All in a very flat tone suggesting I’d made a mistake in calling her at work. So I rapidly explained that it was a Spyderco BBB collaboration, which she didn’t get. But the whole time I was explaining the need for this mule she was actually ordering it and she paid for 2nd day air. Knew their was a reason I married her, she gets me.

That's ^ hilarious!

Back on topic: I'm pleased to see that the AEB-L mule is still available at the end of the day. I'm experiencing a little regret only ordering one. What if I really really really like AEB-L? I'll be kicking myself...! But that's what mules do, right? Kick?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Mr_Whiskerz

Post by Mr_Whiskerz »

Deadboxhero wrote:

I have a set of micarta scales from him on my M398. They're top notch, I plan to buy more from him.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Created an account on the Spydersite within the past hour to purchase this Mule, along with scales and a sheath, only to be hit with the non-verifiable information, or linked to fraud jargon during billing & shipping information being input for checkout. No VPN. Literally just created the account and had it verified :grin-sweat. What gives?
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

weeping minora wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:28 am
Created an account on the Spydersite within the past hour to purchase this Mule, along with scales and a sheath, only to be hit with the non-verifiable information, or linked to fraud jargon during billing & shipping information being input for checkout. No VPN. Literally just created the account and had it verified :grin-sweat. What gives?
Sometimes the software/service that is used to check IP numbers for various fraud indicators has false positives. My VPN was flagged, but that was expected as Kristi warned us about VPN use. Yours was likely a false positive from the service.

You can call to order, or possibly try to order from your mobile phone.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

weeping minora wrote:
No worries,there's still 907 left as 5 minutes ago :respect
CLOK

Post by CLOK »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:14 am
weeping minora wrote:
Sometimes the software/service that is used to check IP numbers for various fraud indicators has false positives. My VPN was flagged, but that was expected as Kristi warned us about VPN use. Yours was likely a false positive from the service.

What JR said. I for some reason can't order from my laptop, but I can from my phone. So I have just learned to always order from my phone and it's perfectly fine.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

CLOK wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:22 am
JRinFL wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:14 am
weeping minora wrote:

What JR said. I for some reason can't order from my laptop, but I can from my phone. So I have just learned to always order from my phone and it's perfectly fine.
Thanks for the info friends. I was able to place the order thru my phone :beaming-face.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Stewart wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:55 am
weeping minora wrote:
No worries,there's still 907 left as 5 minutes ago :respect
Selling slowly, but surely! Down to 889 within the past 10 minutes. Got my order in since I always clamor for these more mid-tier steels :nerd.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

sal wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:50 pm
We did get some 19C.

sal
I'm excited to hear this, sal :hugging-face! Been waiting patiently since some discussion over in the Byrd subset forum regarding Sandvik steel.

I know this may be too soon, but I have to ask.. what are the plans for your procured 19c27? Mule? Direct to models in the lineup?
adub

Post by adub »

Tried to buy two of these and got rejected by the fraud detector despite having purchased mules from the spyderco store in the past. no response from customer service for a couple of days, surprising to see this kind of experience coming from Spyderco.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

adub wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:11 pm
Tried to buy two of these and got rejected by the fraud detector despite having purchased mules from the spyderco store in the past. no response from customer service for a couple of days, surprising to see this kind of experience coming from Spyderco.
Happened to me on the last drop, I had to make a new account just to order. Too bad, I liked to have all my orders come from only one account.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
DaveD

Post by DaveD »

I am trying to purchase one and the cart keeps adding a black manix and will not let me delete it?????????????????????/
Dave D
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Ramonade wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:15 pm
adub wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:11 pm
Happened to me on the last drop, I had to make a new account just to order. Too bad, I liked to have all my orders come from only one account.
There may be a discrepancy amongst the device you're trying to order through and Spyderco's fraud detection server. I was also hit with the "non-verifiable information or potential fraudulence" message when trying to order through my laptop and instead was able to place the order, without a single hiccup, whilst logged in and proceeding via my phone. Same account. It's honestly an unusual hassle, but a potential compromise to obtain your two mules. Quick, easy, painless and they won't even charge extra to boot :winking-tongue. Thanks again to JR and CLOK for this bit of info, because I thought I too was SOoL on this one.