SPK Lamia colab

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Vaugith

Re: SPK Lamia colab

Post by Vaugith »

Recently acquired one. Sorry Spyderco, this guy is going to kick the 15v shaman out of my pocket for a while. At least until I get some quality time with it to appreciate the finer details. So far I'm enjoying it a lot. It's rock solid all the way around yet light. It feels at home in hard use situations as well as at dressier occasions. Even though the opening hole feels similar, the angle of attack is different, more outward vs upward due to it's off center pivot, but once I got that down it's been awesome. Much thinner bte than a factory Spyderco. Love the micromilling and the clip.

Can't wait to see what Spyderco does with this design. Having one from Alex won't stop me from getting a Spyderco lamia. I hope they can maintain the thinner behind the edge measurement and the clip. Steel choice would also be a point of interest for me as well since Alex seems to have settled on cruwear, at least for the time being. And I know that the golden factory is super backed up, but personally I'd love to see it produced in the USA. Alex has been very pro American manufacturing and that's something I value as well.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Very nice knife Vaugith!

I should sell off some unused knives just to pick up a custom Lamia from Alex. I have enjoyed following his journey and really respect how he runs his business. I've got a Shark and had him regrind a Mantra 2, but the Lamia is an excellently refined design...I think I may have to grab one in a crazily vibrant anodization.
So it goes.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Vaugith wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:50 am
And I know that the golden factory is super backed up, but personally I'd love to see it produced in the USA.
The only Spyderco frame lock I know of made in the USA was the titanium Military. Were there any more? I don't see this model being made in the USA.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:12 pm
Vaugith wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:50 am
And I know that the golden factory is super backed up, but personally I'd love to see it produced in the USA.
The only Spyderco frame lock I know of made in the USA was the titanium Military. Were there any more? I don't see this model being made in the USA.
The Foundry was made in Golden as well but that was kind of a special commemorative knife done for Carpenter Technology. I agree that if this knife were produced, it would more than likely be done in Taiwan opposed to the US.
- Nick :bug-red
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Thanks for sharing, Vaugith. I’ll be really stoked if we get one of these made by Spyderco for $300 or so.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
xX2Slow4U

Post by xX2Slow4U »

Has there been any traction on this? I doubt if there's any way I could experience a Lamia unless Spyderco starts making one. Scalpers have gone nuts, even Way of Knife is scalping them and they are the only place allowed to work on them without voiding warranty.
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

xX2Slow4U wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:13 am
Has there been any traction on this? I doubt if there's any way I could experience a Lamia unless Spyderco starts making one. Scalpers have gone nuts, even Way of Knife is scalping them and they are the only place allowed to work on them without voiding warranty.
I know he sent a Lamia to Spyderco, but I haven't been following it close enough to know if anything further has been announced.

Still waiting on the BBB collab model that was announced in 2019, if that gives you any idea of what kind of time frame to expect.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
18 Spydies, 15 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Giygas wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:13 am
xX2Slow4U wrote:
I know he sent a Lamia to Spyderco, but I haven't been following it close enough to know if anything further has been announced.

Still waiting on the BBB collab model that was announced in 2019, if that gives you any idea of what kind of time frame to expect.
I know this is kind of just semantics but the BBB collab was never actually “announced.” We’ve been given hints about its production timeline and told a prototype exists but there still has not been any type of official announcement for the knife.

That BBB collab in particular is a bit unique in the sense that BBB insisted the knife be made in the Golden, CO factory and chose to wait until production capacity could handle the additional model. The time frame for this model, most likely, does not represent the typical time frame we should expect for collaboration models in general.

:bug-white-red :respect
- Nick :bug-red
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:01 am
Giygas wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:13 am
xX2Slow4U wrote:

I know this is kind of just semantics but the BBB collab was never actually “announced.” We’ve been given hints about its production timeline and told a prototype exists but there still has not been any type of official announcement for the knife.

That BBB collab in particular is a bit unique in the sense that BBB insisted the knife be made in the Golden, CO factory and chose to wait until production capacity could handle the additional model. The time frame for this model, most likely, does not represent the typical time frame we should expect for collaboration models in general.

:bug-white-red :respect
I was hesitant to use that word in hopes to avoid this very interaction.

As for the US made requirement, I strongly suspect Alex will have the same request.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
18 Spydies, 15 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
Roscomcfarland

Post by Roscomcfarland »

Just to handle any Lamia would be surreal. I’d buy 5 if this happens. That’d be the best thing to happen this year
:bug-red-white CTS-XHP Shaman, S90V PM2, S30V PM2, 20CV Para 3, S110V Para 3, 4V Manix 2 XL. More please.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

There’s so much hyperbole and enthusiastic cheering in this thread, I suspect I don’t belong in it. But, as a member in good standing, I guess I’m entitled to my opinion:

What I like by looking at the photos:
One photo shows full flat grind, nice.
What looks like a two-fastener construction (on the show side), which is neat and clean looking.
Cool grip patterns on some.
Svelte handle — I like that. Looks like a good blade-to-handle ratio.

Meh:
I prefer less belly, lower tip
Metal handles…they’re OK once in awhile
It’s a very conventional design, which is not bad, it’s just not…exciting or unique.
I prefer the full flat grind; the high saber or high flat (can't tell which) isn't usually my thing. But maybe.

Not for me:
Index finger looks like it could easily slide forward and get cut. That's a deal killer for me.
Large radius on “finger side” of handle typically doesn’t work for me; not my style of ergos.
Framelock.
Feels like a flash mob is promoting this idea. Let it stand on its own merits, peeps. If you are here just to boost this one idea, you're encouraged to participate in other threads as well.
Last edited by Bolster on Tue May 09, 2023 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

The other big thing about the Lamia, if it’s anything like my Shark, is that it is incredibly thin behind the edge. Like Dragonfly thin. Alex actually CNCs some of the blades so that he can get them consistently thin behind the edge.

I also just like the idea of another Ti RIL Spydie with a drop point (that’s hopefully not $700).
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

“Those who know, carry a spyderco”
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
nonstainless

Post by nonstainless »

No offence, but I don't get what's so special about this one. It's very close to the Giantmouse ACE jutland which seems to have even better ergos due to index finger choil and liner lock.
Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness. L11:35
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 10:22 pm
The other big thing about the Lamia, if it’s anything like my Shark, is that it is incredibly thin behind the edge. Like Dragonfly thin. Alex actually CNCs some of the blades so that he can get them consistently thin behind the edge.

I also just like the idea of another Ti RIL Spydie with a drop point (that’s hopefully not $700).
Thank you. That's the best laugh I've had in weeks. I hope someday you get to experience using a knife that actually is thin behind the edge.