Why is the Kapara so overlooked ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Re: Why is the Kapara so overlooked ?

Post by wrdwrght »

I think the Kapara’s main problem is that it screams “niche”, even while being so much more.

Its radiused and (too?) smooth handle, and its slicy blade do strongly suggest it is perfect for the cube farm and its lunch room.

Spyderco has given us lots of nichey knives, but most folks, here at least, want Spydies in the working-man’s Endura and Military families and don’t want to waste money on knives that would SEEM NOT to do it all.

It’s not for nothing that the PM2 is in such demand. IMO, the PM2 is Spyderco’s least nichey knife, which does not mean to me that my Kapara is any less spectacular.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

*Edited - Against forum rules. TazKristi*
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:50 am
I think the Kapara’s main problem is that it screams “niche”, even while being so much more.

Its radiused and (too?) smooth handle, and its slicy blade do strongly suggest it is perfect for the cube farm and its lunch room.

Spyderco has given us lots of nichey knives, but most folks, here at least, want Spydies in the working-man’s Endura and Military families and don’t want to waste money on knives that would SEEM NOT to do it all.

It’s not for nothing that the PM2 is in such demand. IMO, the PM2 is Spyderco’s least nichey knife, which does not mean to me that my Kapara is any less spectacular.
Great insight in this post.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I didn’t buy the Kapara due to the comp lock as I’m spoiled by the left hand pm2 and no longer own any other standard comp locks except the Sliverax. Have my fingers crossed for the slip joint version, but not sure the demand is there for it.
:spyder:
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I think some of it is about availability. The knife market can be very trendy so when things are hot, they’re hot and when they’re not they’re not. Also, when a model is hot it has to stay relevant and remain in the public conversation to stay hot. When the Kapara came out everyone was raving about it and it sold out quickly if I remember? Then it was unavailable for a long time. People still talked about it but slowly other newer and more accessible models stole the spotlight. Once the Kapara was finally available again, many of the folks who had been hot on it a year before had mentally moved on to the next thing, and the next.

I imagine that if the Kapara had never been out of stock and had been introduced in a myriad of sprints and exclusives then it would have stayed higher on the relevancy list for MUCH longer. Maybe not as popular as the Para3 (for example) but more so than it did. I have no doubt that Spyderco understands all of that (far better than I do) but the problem is that a company has to decide where to apply its limited resources. So when Covid hits and your production capacity gets cut in half (or worse) you have to think, “am i going to make model x which I KNOW will sell or model y which I THINK will sell. As the old adage says, “you’ve gotta make hay while the sun is shining” but there’s a lot of hay and only so much sunshine so you’ve gotta cut the best fields.

Anyway, that’s a pure opinion rant. I might be wrong on all of that but that’s the way it looks to me from the outside.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Double tap.
NCJohn62

Post by NCJohn62 »

mikey177 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:21 am
I have to concentrate more when unlocking the Kapara because of its skinny and relatively slicker scales. Sometimes I feel like I might accidentally drop it while manipulating the compression lock.
This is exactly why I sold mine, as nice as it is I found that it was getting carried less and less.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:26 am
I think some of it is about availability. The knife market can be very trendy so when things are hot, they’re hot and when they’re not they’re not. Also, when a model is hot it has to stay relevant and remain in the public conversation to stay hot. When the Kapara came out everyone was raving about it and it sold out quickly if I remember? Then it was unavailable for a long time. People still talked about it but slowly other newer and more accessible models stole the spotlight. Once the Kapara was finally available again, many of the folks who had been hot on it a year before had mentally moved on to the next thing, and the next.

I imagine that if the Kapara had never been out of stock and had been introduced in a myriad of sprints and exclusives then it would have stayed higher on the relevancy list for MUCH longer. Maybe not as popular as the Para3 (for example) but more so than it did. I have no doubt that Spyderco understands all of that (far better than I do) but the problem is that a company has to decide where to apply its limited resources. So when Covid hits and your production capacity gets cut in half (or worse) you have to think, “am i going to make model x which I KNOW will sell or model y which I THINK will sell. As the old adage says, “you’ve gotta make hay while the sun is shining” but there’s a lot of hay and only so much sunshine so you’ve gotta cut the best fields.

Anyway, that’s a pure opinion rant. I might be wrong on all of that but that’s the way it looks to me from the outside.
I think Lance captured it nicely. I was enthralled with it when it came out. It was out of stock pretty quick. I debated the price with myself. Also debated if the size would work for me. Then they were gone. Other bright shiny knife objects distracted me (or more correctly steels). I think sometimes this is the downside of all the great steel choices: many of us will choose a familiar tried and true design we know works for us in different steels before trying a new model that *might* work for us in a steel that not as exciting. JMHO
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:50 am

I love some of the "niche" knives and Spyderco does them so well, but outside of knife world for a wide part of the knife carrying community you are probably spot on. Someone that just carries one knife, but wants to spend a little more on themselves will probably opt for a PM2. I have to think that is a large part of the buying community. I know the Kapara is very capable, but when I'm getting my hands dirty, I more often grab a PM2 or an Endura/Endela. Just fits better. Never once grabbed the Kapara for a project. I love taking my Kapara into the office though I know it is capable of much more.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
adub

Post by adub »

I often ask myself this question, if it was in s90v it would probably be the best edc production knife on the market imo. It’s so, so good.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Now I’m looking at the Kapara.. 😬

Job done Guys! 😂
buckleys

Post by buckleys »

There's way too little space in the compression lock area along with the slick scales makes it slippery when closing especially, and for some reason it's the only Spyderco I can think of that doesn't doesn't have its compression lock tab have ridges on the top of it. I'd re-buy it in a back lock or liner lock version as it has great ergos and one of the longest edge length to handle ratios I can think of other than the Calys/UKPKs
agm

Post by agm »

I own 3 Kaparas, all with different scales, because I love that knife so much. But I am not a "hard worker", I open cardoard boxes and cut food with it and it does both excellently. I just wish there would be another steel option. 20cv/M390 or Magnacut and I would buy a fourth Kapara.