My collection and thoughts (so far)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Airlsee

Re: My collection and thoughts (so far)

Post by Airlsee »

Guys this thread is from 2018 and the OP hasn't been active in over 4 years.

BearShark44 should have just started a new thread, because no one is actually addressing his question.
So it goes.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

LOL! Good point.

In that case, no, I don’t follow much of a pattern. I tend to try
different steels, but not all of them. I’ll buy pretty much any Salt. I’m partial to PM2s, Manix 2s, Pacifics, and Chaparrals, so I guess that’s a pattern of sorts.
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

Airlsee wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:28 pm

BearShark44 should have just started a new thread, because no one is actually addressing his question.
Facepalm. Why don’t I ever look at the thread date? Lol
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
standy99

Post by standy99 »

BearShark44 wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:25 pm
Great feed, reviving years later with related question -
Does anyone follow guidelines on building their collection?
I'm at 4-5 spydies and want to get new sprints, but feels strange buying the same model in a new steel.
Right now, my plan had been a different steel in each model, all silver (black coated for non-spydie purchases).
But then the endela black cruwear drops on DLT and that breaks two rules.
Maybe rules are silly - you just buy whatever and sell those that get replaced over time until you have your "collection."
Curious how folks approach collecting. As always, great discussion.
Pick the knife you like… easy

The collections I admire the most are the one model, multiple colours and steels.

But I enjoy my many different models and steels that I have. Enjoy the difference in size and shape of having a collection of mixed models.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
cptdean

Post by cptdean »

BearShark44 wrote:
I'm at 4-5 spydies and want to get new sprints, but feels strange buying the same model in a new steel.
Right now, my plan had been a different steel in each model, all silver (black coated for non-spydie purchases).
Maybe rules are silly - you just buy whatever and sell those that get replaced over time until you have your "collection."
I'M REVIVED! :winking-tongue I'm ashamed to report I haven't really thought about this forum in a while...this was 5 or 6 hobbies ago! But I saw some alerts in my inbox and thought I'd hop back in for a bit.

I went through steel-envy for a while a few years ago and spent more $$$ getting a couple varieties of a few knives, but in the end I felt mostly satisfied with a few knives and stopped collecting.

My current Spyderco lineup is the Dragonfly, Chaparral, and PM2 shown above, and I added a Para 3 in M390. I gifted the Native 5 to my dad. I had a few others but didn't keep them.

The Chapparal gets carried the most because it fits so nicely in my fifth pocket. The Para 3 gets carried a few times a month, the PM2 on rare occasion, and the Dragonfly lives in a drawer. I think the Chaparral may be the best "pocket" knife you can buy, and the PM2 is the best folding knife ever created (though a bit much for me to carry often). I took the clips off all of them. I hate clips, especially on smaller knives.

I don't know what Spyderco is offering these days but I might have a quick peek.
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes by itself.

Dragonfly 2
, Para Military 2, Native 5 Lightweight, Chaparral Lightweight, Para 3
cptdean

Post by cptdean »

Sharp24/7 wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:22 pm
cptdean wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:42 am
I'm 50 years old, and new to the world of Spyderco knives. I remember when the first models came out, and I remember being a bit perplexed by the big hole in the blade. I mean, who would do that, right? They didn't get my attention back then. Flash forward a few decades and I am no longer a curious observer, but a full-blown customer, and I'm a bit disappointed in myself for waiting so long. So, I'm making up for lost time. Since joining the forum on June 30, I have purchased six knives (four for myself, and two as gifts for unwitting intiates), which I think is pretty fair progress so far.

Below is a pic of my current humble collection, followed by some thoughts on each. I'm not trying to write a review, as I lack both the talent and experience. But I have read nearly every post and watched nearly every video available for these knives, and I recommend you do the same if you're looking to buy one for yourself.

These are my impressions. Your mileage may vary.

Dragonfly 2, Zome Green, VG-10

What I like:
The Dragonfly 2 is pretty much perfect in every way. I really like the blade shape with the swedge, choil, and thumb ramp, and how thin and slicey it is. I also really like the Zome Green dye and the grippy FRN texture. I like how easily it rides in the pocket, either clipped to the opening or jingling around with stuff on the bottom, and it never gets in my way.

What I would change:
I honestly can't think of a single improvement here. Of all these knives, the DF2 may be the only one that's flawless for what it is. If I needed it to be different or more than it is in any way, it would simply mean I need a different knife.

Chaparral, Gray FRN, CTS-XHP

What I like:
Build quality, build quality, and more build quality. I love the FRN pattern, and I love that even with steel liners and it's thinner than the DF2. This knife feels solid, like it's made of pure money. I appreciate it every time I pick it up. This is my only Taichung kinife so far, and it makes me want more. I love the thin blade stock and the full stainless spacer, and I think the the wire pocket clip is perfectly placed. I especially like the lack of a lanyard hole, and I wouldn't use it, anyway.

What I would change:

The thin blade stock means think lock stock and, as others have said, unlocking this knife is not a pleasure. It's not really painful to me, just not very easy. That said, as long as you're not fidgeting with it, it's well worth a little discomfort now and then to have the knife be this thin. Maybe it could be solved with a slightly weaker spring?

Native 5 Lightweight, Dark Blue FRN, CPM S110V

What I like:

Ergonomics. Of the four, the Native 5 feels best in my hand. It's definitely in the "Goldilocks" zone for me. The lock bar feels positively fat compared to the Chaparral, and I love that the blade has the same swedge as the Dragonfly 2. The dark blue of the FRN happens to be my favorite color in life (it's why I had to buy it), and the S110V steel is just a pleasant bonus to me. The super-comfortable finger choil appears to be exactly the same as on the Chaparall, and is slightly deeper than the ones on the DF2 and PM2 (which seem to be identical to each other). The length of the blade, and of the overall knife, are perfect for me.

What I would change:
A few things. First, I know this is meant to be a lightweight model, but it's crying out for the same liners and spacer as on the Chaparral. As nice as it is already, I really want this Native 5 to feel more substantial and "rich". I know I could have opted for the G-10 variant to get a bit more heft, but I wouldn't want to give up the curves, texture, or color of the FRN. It's too nice! Next, I'd switch to a wire clip and drop the lanyard hole. The polished spoon clip is pretty, but I think the wire clip is better suited for this size knife. Finally, the lock bar, oddly, is wider than the blade stock, and it bugs me every time I look at it. The Chap and DF2 aren't built this way, and I can't figure out why the Native 5 needs to be different. In addition, there's jimping at the end of the lock bar and it's completely different than the jimping on the thumb ramp of the blade...it just doesn't match...and it's recessed below the edge of the scales, so my thumb doesn't touch it, anyway. Maybe skip it entirely on the Native 6? Neither the DF2 or Chap have jimping on the lock bar, and they look just fine to me.

Para Military 2, Black G-10, CPM S30V

What I like:
Without having sampled every knife Spyderco has ever made, I'd still go out on a limb and declare this to be the best knife the world has ever seen. Hyperbole, of course, but it's at least the best knife I've ever owned. I can see why it's a fan favorite. I love the look of it, the compression lock, the ergonomics, the blade and handle length, the liners...it's all good. Of the four I have, it's the one I'd keep if I couldn't save them all. I can add nothing to the countless reviews for the PM2, short of piling on another plea for interested shoppers to just go ahead and buy it.

What I would change:
I'd maybe round the edges of the G-10 a little bit. I get that the squared edges are helpful when wearing gloves, but maybe there could be a non-glove option. I'd also like to see Spyderco use a Flytanium-style lanyard tube, or at least stop peening the current ones. It's the only snag I hit in disassembly.

So, that's what I've got so say about these four knives. I like them all, and they'll all find pocket time, though I'll probably carry the PM2 more than the rest in the long run. Next on my buy list are the PM3 and Manix 2, but I haven't decided on variants yet. Maybe one of those will unseat the PM2.

Now, If I were to wish for a new knife, an amalgamation the samples I have so far, I'd like to see a Para Military 2 in dark blue FRN, with steel liners, a non-peened lanyard tube, and an S110V blade with a slightly deeper finger choil. I'd probably put one in every pocket!
You should check out the Stretch 2 in K390. It’s got a similar color FRN to that Native 5 and the steel is on par with S110V in edge holding, give or take a little. It’s isn’t stainless if that’s a dealbreaker. Otherwise it’s pretty close to an FRN Para 2, but I think it’s way more comfortable in hand.
I bought the brown Stretch 2 in ZDP-189 but ended up giving it to my brother, who was looking for a good hunting knife. I would gladly own another Stretch 2. I'll check them out.

Dragonfly 2
cptdean

Post by cptdean »

Foehammer wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:29 pm
Nice collection! I pretty much stopped at the pm2 after trying a few different models. Not saying I won’t try out a few others but the pm2 is my grail knife.
I personally think the PM2 is the best folding knife ever made, buy my Chaparral gets way more pocket time.

Dragonfly 2
cptdean

Post by cptdean »

Airlsee wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:28 pm

Looks like I'm back (at least for today). Hopefully this awakening won't lead to more spending.

Dragonfly 2
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

Congratulations, you have made good choices.
I understand your fascination with Spyderco's.
I am in the same boat as you in that I have known about them for a long time and never owned one.
Now I have 5. :zany
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

cptdean wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:23 am
BearShark44 wrote:
I'M REVIVED! :winking-tongue I'm ashamed to report I haven't really thought about this forum in a while...this was 5 or 6 hobbies ago! But I saw some alerts in my inbox and thought I'd hop back in for a bit.

I went through steel-envy for a while a few years ago and spent more $$$ getting a couple varieties of a few knives, but in the end I felt mostly satisfied with a few knives and stopped collecting.

My current Spyderco lineup is the Dragonfly, Chaparral, and PM2 shown above, and I added a Para 3 in M390. I gifted the Native 5 to my dad. I had a few others but didn't keep them.

The Chapparal gets carried the most because it fits so nicely in my fifth pocket. The Para 3 gets carried a few times a month, the PM2 on rare occasion, and the Dragonfly lives in a drawer. I think the Chaparral may be the best "pocket" knife you can buy, and the PM2 is the best folding knife ever created (though a bit much for me to carry often). I took the clips off all of them. I hate clips, especially on smaller knives.

I don't know what Spyderco is offering these days but I might have a quick peek.
The Sleeper has awoken!
I'm not a steel snob but I'm considering the Cruwear.
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.