Jim Green boots?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

Re: Jim Green boots?

Post by Evil D »

jpm2 wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:43 pm
The good thing about red wing is they list the last for every boot and shoe they make. The last is the mold they use to form the shape of the boot/shoe. Any style boot or shoe they make with the same last# should fit the same.
I've tried on a lot of red wing boots in their stores over the decades and know a lot of the last #'s that fit me good and bad. That lets me rule out those I know are bad for me and concentrate on the ones I know fit me well when it comes time to buy new.

Does anyone know of other boot makers that list their last #'s ?

I've seen some but can't really think of anything besides Corcoran's. Steel toe boots are a whole other animal vs soft toe, and the last definitely changes where the toe cap ends up in relation to the rest of your foot. I have a few local boot shops and I have spent an embarrassing amount of time in there just trying on every safety toe boot they sell, completely disregarding my preferences and tastes just to find ones that don't hurt my big toes. Even boots within the same brand are hit and miss, I've been through about 5 pair of Keens with varying success and even had 3 pair of the same model that each fit a little different. I once had an old guy at one of these shops bring out about 10 pair of the same style boot and had me try them all on and pick which left and right felt the best because he said even manufacturing variances change the fit.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I know that this is a bit off topic but I got one of those two handed machetes that Cold Steel was selling a while back that was made in South Africa and I've been extremely pleased with it. I wish now I would have bought two of them.

I said that to let it be known that I'm certain there are a lot of products from South Africa that are high up the totem pole with quality rankings. I used to know a couple of knifemakers from South Africa that I would visit with at the BLADE Shows. Their knife making was quality all the way.

I'm sure that any product that can take on harsh environments like Kruger National Park would have to be superb quality. I've always found South Africa to be a most intriguing place. I would love to go there some day.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:33 pm
jpm2 wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:43 pm
The good thing about red wing is they list the last for every boot and shoe they make. The last is the mold they use to form the shape of the boot/shoe. Any style boot or shoe they make with the same last# should fit the same.
I've tried on a lot of red wing boots in their stores over the decades and know a lot of the last #'s that fit me good and bad. That lets me rule out those I know are bad for me and concentrate on the ones I know fit me well when it comes time to buy new.

Does anyone know of other boot makers that list their last #'s ?

I've seen some but can't really think of anything besides Corcoran's. Steel toe boots are a whole other animal vs soft toe, and the last definitely changes where the toe cap ends up in relation to the rest of your foot. I have a few local boot shops and I have spent an embarrassing amount of time in there just trying on every safety toe boot they sell, completely disregarding my preferences and tastes just to find ones that don't hurt my big toes. Even boots within the same brand are hit and miss, I've been through about 5 pair of Keens with varying success and even had 3 pair of the same model that each fit a little different. I once had an old guy at one of these shops bring out about 10 pair of the same style boot and had me try them all on and pick which left and right felt the best because he said even manufacturing variances change the fit.
I hear ya about the manufacture differences even in same brand/model/pair boot.
RW 2233's have been my go to for ST work boots thru the decades. The tounge on the left boot of my present pair either wasn't cut right or sewn in wrong. It leans a little to one side. It's also slightly thinner leather than the right side. Very annoying at first, but don't notice it anymore. Other than that, they fit close enough as the last ~10 pair I've had that I can wear them all day every day with no discomfort. They're one of the few work boots red wing still makes, and still made in USA.
There's been other small differences over the years but either the boot "broke in", or I just got use to it.

Here's an example of how a small style difference can have a large impact:
I bought a pair of RW 4439's a few years ago. They have the same last as 2233's. Very comfortable out of the box and have remained so. I can wear them all day every day with no discomfort, same as the 2233's. BUT
The toe catches sometime while walking on steel grating and up stairs. The difference between it and 2233"s are the sole sticks out slightly more. I will eventually shave the lip back if possible and put back in service at work.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

You’d hate Aldens David.
I picked up a few pairs of used Whites and love the build quality. Saw a pair of bounty hunters and fell in love with the wide double stitched welt, ended up with a lovely pair of semi dress in maroon that make every step a deliberate act. I like the weight of a nice unskeletonized boot.